STM32 Bootloader on Win7 64bi

STM32duino bootloader aka Maple bootloader
RogerClark

Re: STM32 Bootloader on Win7 64bi

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:48 am

No ports at all or just DFU?

What is the LED doing, i.e blinking ?

Did you look in the Windows device manager?

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Kurt_R wrote:Howdy, I just got this error and I have no ports for the Maple Mini now!
I am assuming that since you did not change the title, that you are on Win7 64-bit... if correct, you may just need to clean-up your systemto speed enumeration.
See 1st response

Personally, I do not recommend the registry hack ... just use the console (as admin) now and then to display the phantom ports and clean things up when Windows starts to misbehave.

Ray
prior MCSE

Kurt_R

Post by Kurt_R » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:29 pm

Yes this is on Win 7 64bit.

No ports showing up, when I reset it it appears and the LED blinks a few times and it shows up as DFU for about a second.
Next, the board goes dark and the port disappears.

I was trying to upload the Blink sketch for the first time and it said it uploaded then gave this message:

Code: Select all

Done!
Resetting USB to switch back to runtime mode
error resetting after download: usb_reset: could not reset device, win error: The system cannot find the file specified.
I was monitoring Device Manger the whole time.

EDIT: here is a video with sound that shows what it's doing: http://1drv.ms/22QyyVS

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:38 am

Umm

Sounds like the bootloader does its normal thing of waiting for DFU for a short time (about a second) then tries to run the sketch code (at 0x8005000 or 0x8002000 depending on the bootloader version).

The Serial USB device is provided by the sketch not the bootloader, so if the sketch crashes you will not get any Serial device (or if you selected a menu option that doesnt include serial in the sketch (I think this is only the Serial Upload option now that does not compile in the USB serial device))

If you have a Maple Mini, then you need to force it into Perpetual bootloader mode (There are various vidoes on youtube which show how to do this by pressing and holding the Button, just after you have pressed and released reset)
This will lock it in DFU upload mode, and you can try uploading a simple sketch e.g. Blink, which should include the Serial USB device, if you select Maple bootloader.

If Blink runs but you don't have a serial device, and you have definitely selected the correct menu options, I'm not sure what else could cause problems (perhaps your board is faulty)

Kurt_R

Post by Kurt_R » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:08 am

Perpetual bootloader mode
Awesome, that worked great, Thank you sir!!
Didn't even dawn on me, especially since I have done that on my regular Maple clone.

BTW, here is the link that is dead easy to demonstrate it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvNIeKuXsxM

You Rock!

gwiheo

Post by gwiheo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:27 am

Hi Roger,

I have an error message in uploading at Arduino sketch file as below. 
"error resetting after download: usb_reset: could not reset device, win error"

I tried to blink test using sample file at A_STM32 Examples, but LED did not blink.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting download: [##################################################] finished!
state(8) = dfuMANIFEST-WAIT-RESET, status(0) = No error condition is present
error resetting after download: usb_reset: could not reset device, win error: Could not find the designataed files.
Done!Resetting USB to switch back to runtime mode

RogerClark wrote:Umm

Sounds like the bootloader does its normal thing of waiting for DFU for a short time (about a second) then tries to run the sketch code (at 0x8005000 or 0x8002000 depending on the bootloader version).

The Serial USB device is provided by the sketch not the bootloader, so if the sketch crashes you will not get any Serial device (or if you selected a menu option that doesnt include serial in the sketch (I think this is only the Serial Upload option now that does not compile in the USB serial device))

If you have a Maple Mini, then you need to force it into Perpetual bootloader mode (There are various vidoes on youtube which show how to do this by pressing and holding the Button, just after you have pressed and released reset)
This will lock it in DFU upload mode, and you can try uploading a simple sketch e.g. Blink, which should include the Serial USB device, if you select Maple bootloader.

If Blink runs but you don't have a serial device, and you have definitely selected the correct menu options, I'm not sure what else could cause problems (perhaps your board is faulty)

gwiheo

Post by gwiheo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:28 pm

gwiheo wrote:

Hi Roger,

Disregard the previous my message. I found that I made a mistake in wrong port number in blink. It solved.
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an error message in uploading at Arduino sketch file as below.
"error resetting after download: usb_reset: could not reset device, win error"

I tried to blink test using sample file at A_STM32 Examples, but LED did not blink.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting download: [##################################################] finished!
state(8) = dfuMANIFEST-WAIT-RESET, status(0) = No error condition is present
error resetting after download: usb_reset: could not reset device, win error: Could not find the designataed files.
Done!Resetting USB to switch back to runtime mode