ST-LINK V2-1 does not work with Windows 10

vargham

ST-LINK V2-1 does not work with Windows 10

Post by vargham » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:18 am

I have several ST devices, Nucleo boards, Discovery boards and standalone ST-LINK. One of my Windows 10 64 bit computer could not connect to devices with V2-1 (USB mass storage type). I use the newest firmware (updated on another computer), and the newest driver. I can see the device in the Device Manager, but the programs (IDEs, ST-LINK utility, etc) could not find it.
The older Discovery boards with V2 (without USB mass storage) and the standalone ST-LINK V2 works fine.

More details here:
https://developer.mbed.org/questions/76 ... Windows-1/

Any idea?
Thanks.

victor_pv

Re: ST-LINK V2-1 does not work with Windows 10

Post by victor_pv » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:15 pm

I have Windows 10 x64 in one computer, I have used successfully stlink clones, and the stlink in a discovery F7.

I have a nucleo F401 or 411, I will test it later and let you know. Could be just an issue with a certain version of the drivers?

Pito

Post by Pito » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:01 pm

When you see the message try to unplug and then plug-in back the stlink-dongle (do not change the usb port).
It helped in win7 thus it may help with win10 too..
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

vargham

Post by vargham » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:03 am

Thanks.
Nothing helped. Replug, force removed driver (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... s.11).aspx), disabled indexing usb drives, etc.
I use 4 computers, all Win 10 64 bit, and the same development softwares. Newest Stlink driver and newest firmware. Same Avast antivirus on all.

First one: Stlink V2-1 is never usable. Shows up in device manager, but none of the softwares can use it. Stlink V2 work fine.
Second and third: Works 6-8 times after Windows cold start. Then the same as with the first computer. Restart computer...
Fourth: No problems.

Pito

Post by Pito » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:41 am

And what about zadig_2.2?
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:45 pm

vargham wrote:Thanks.
Nothing helped. Replug, force removed driver (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... s.11).aspx), disabled indexing usb drives, etc.
I use 4 computers, all Win 10 64 bit, and the same development softwares. Newest Stlink driver and newest firmware. Same Avast antivirus on all.

First one: Stlink V2-1 is never usable. Shows up in device manager, but none of the softwares can use it. Stlink V2 work fine.
Second and third: Works 6-8 times after Windows cold start. Then the same as with the first computer. Restart computer...
Assuming its not a hardware fault, you could always flash the V2 software onto your V2.1 board.

There is another thread about stlink hacking with a link to a blog where someone has figured out how to load alternative firmware versions onto the stlink by just changing the file names in stm's own java based updated.

vargham

Post by vargham » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:42 am

Yes, it is not hardware problem. I think the USB mass storage is the problem. Driver confict? Antivirus? Windows drive indexing? Who knows...

Yes, this is the final solution: Downgrade V2-1 to V2-0. Works fine. :-) On nucleo boards you have to short solder bridge 1 (USB power management), because the V2 firmware does not handle that well. No power for target when plugged in, just for and after upload.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:35 am

OK

I'm hoping to never need to update to W10. W7 works just fine for me

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:25 pm

vargham wrote:Thanks.
<...>

vargham wrote:Yes, it is not hardware problem. I think the USB mass storage is the problem. Driver confict? Antivirus? Windows drive indexing? Who knows...
As a non-active, retired MCSE, I can relate to your frustration but you are doing yourself no favors by using 4 separate Win10 workstations and expecting them each to "work identically: with non-Microsoft software. Things do NOT work that way on windows because of the way the registry and Plug & Play subsystems work. Even if the 4 workstations are from the same shipment, same model h/w, same base configuration, the registry(s) on each four machines will take a life of its own after 1st use... adding software, removing software, p&p h/w detection, Win updates, etc.

My views are not popular with Microsoft, but here they are:
- If you use Microsoft tools to develop, turn of automatic update for the OS and other Microsoft products AND keep very good backups of all of your sources externally (just smart.) What you get is a Microsoft flavored world through rose-colored glasses. If things do not work as advertised, complain to M$.

- If you are using non-Microsoft tools and the vendor offers Linux flavors, then bite the bullet and get the hell off of the Microsoft OS platform. Your existing PC hardware will get a speed boost, memory utilization will improve, and ArduinoIDE and tools will have a far better development environment.

Ray

vargham

Post by vargham » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:11 pm

V2-0 firmware is OK for me.

I also use OSX and Linux. Other OSes with other problems. ;-)
I rarely use Arduino.
Part of my work is to develop Windows (.net) frontend for MCU based application. :-)