enabling LSE and no crystal present

If you made your own board, post here, unless you built a Maple or Maple mini clone etc
STM32_Newbbe

enabling LSE and no crystal present

Post by STM32_Newbbe »

Hi,

I created a custom board design (for L412KB) and erratically selected the Nucleo-L412 as a board instead of generic L412 and wondered why the board did not come up on reset. Flashing firmware works fine, either by ST-Link or USB-DFU so _something_ must be right...

But no output on IOs or Serial or anything ...

I could narrow it down to the different clock settings, namely activating the LSE clock.
Nucleo has a 32k crystal, but my design doesn't !

Is it really that simple, that the missing crystal causes the controller to sit locked in a startup routine waiting for the clock? :lol:
Even though the LSE is (to my knowing) not crucial to the functioning of the controller? :roll:
phdegen

Re: enabling LSE and no crystal present

Post by phdegen »

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue. I made a custom STM32WB55CGUX board and the serial fails to work over usb cdc. (using the STM32duino generic board configuration) I dont have a LSE xtal either. I set up a USB CDC application from the STM32cubeMX tool (choosing HSI based USB clk) and it works nicely. I supposed that the clock configuration is just killing it so I included the one used in the cubeMX example but this did not help.

Did you solve your issue in any way? Any other idea to make it work?

Thanks.
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Re: enabling LSE and no crystal present

Post by fpiSTM »

Simply enable core logs and you should see where it's failed.
It is hard to manage all possible cases.

Return to “Custom design boards”