why NO support for NUCLEO 410RB (1 can NOT program it in Arduino IDE) - but it present as Generic board?

All about boards manufactured by ST
qq99

why NO support for NUCLEO 410RB (1 can NOT program it in Arduino IDE) - but it present as Generic board?

Post by qq99 »

why there is NO support for NUCLEO 410RB - but this chip (410) present as Generic board?

i tried to compile / program my 410 Nucleo as Generic board - it not works
Also tried to compile / upload as to Nucleo F401 or F411 - also not works

NUCLEO series:
401 - yes
411 - yes

410 - no

why? and... can somebody help to ADD a support to STM32duino for this board?
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Re: why NO support for NUCLEO 410RB (1 can NOT program it in Arduino IDE) - but it present as Generic board?

Post by fpiSTM »

Several F410 have been added as generic board by a contributor:
https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_C ... 2/pull/880

Nucleo F410RB has not been added anyway generic F410RBTx should work with it.
You can contribute to add it, PR is welcome as it is a community project.

You told it's not work. Could you be more precise. Core version? Arduino Version? options? sketch? ...
All relevant information can help to solve your issue.

For ref:
https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/ ... 410rb.html
qq99

Re: why NO support for NUCLEO 410RB (1 can NOT program it in Arduino IDE) - but it present as Generic board?

Post by qq99 »

I checked the links - my problem is NOT about compiling,

my problem is about trying to upload a code to NUCLEO-F410RB as an GENERIC board:

1. connection to the board (it simple does not exist for Generic boards)
2. the BIN file does NOT run on the board

problem-1 is due to absent of an Upload Method = Mass Storage
(Generic boards only supports SWD / DFU programmers)

problem-2 is more strange:
with command Sketch -> Export Compiled Binary , I created a BIN file
then I manually dragged it to the virtual disk on nucleo board

and... nothing happened.

then I tried to do the same with Nucleo F103RB - and again, it is NOT working - Board Type was GENERIC F103RB
(of course I recompiled it for F103 before resending the file)

BUT!
then I did the same but in the BOARD TYPE - i selected NUCLEO-64
(F103RB)

and when I put file manually to the virtual disk - it's instantly began to work!

for test I'm using sketch from examples - TFT_eSPI / 480x320 / Eclipse

everybody could try to do the same - just do the export of BIN file and then try to put it on virtual disk of Nucleo Board
when Generic is selected - its not working

as I understand there is someting "more deep" in the setting of STM32duino when it comes for difference between Generic and Nucleo boards - ALL boards, not just F410

p.s
just tried to do the same with the "dumbest" example - Blink
the result is the same: if BIN file created with Nucleo-64 board selected - my F103RB is working (blinking)
if BIN file created as Generic F103RB - not blinking
hobbya
Answers: 1

Post by hobbya »

The behaviour is expected on Nucleo F103RB and Generic F103RB because they have different pin number/name definitions.
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

make a variant for it, it isn't that difficult, just review how it is done for existing boards.
qq99

Post by qq99 »

ag123 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:50 am make a variant for it, it isn't that difficult, just review how it is done for existing boards.
thanks for the info!
but my competence is out of this level - could you help me and make it?

for such help I can give you some btc / eth for beer or for cake 8-)
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

you can start with things like existing variants for nucleo stm32f401 or stm32f411
start with a copy of those variants and make adaptions specific to f410

it is quite likely f401 version would run on f410
one thing though f410 apparently don't have usb on chip, it should still work with nucleo boards as nucleo boards has a st-link on board
Last edited by ag123 on Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
fpiSTM

Post by fpiSTM »

Well as a first step try to get the generic working.

About your test btw generic and Nucleo. If you try the blink for example, The Nucleo define the correct LED_BUILTIN while the generic does no define it.
You have to define it and as you don't answer to my question hard to help you.
qq99

Post by qq99 »

fpiSTM wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:36 am Well as a first step try to get the generic working.

About your test btw generic and Nucleo. If you try the blink for example, The Nucleo define the correct LED_BUILTIN while the generic does no define it.
You have to define it and as you don't answer to my question hard to help you.
I think the problem already had been found - as it was mentioned here before,
the problem is that MCU pin mapping to the BOARD pins in NUCLEO is different from Generic boards, so even Blink does not work.

So it's needed to make a new VARIANT (i.e. profile) for this board from existing Generic profile (variant)

Could you make it?

Because I'm not a programmer at all.
As I already said before - I will grant to such person some $ for beer or something )
fpiSTM

Post by fpiSTM »

problem is that MCU pin mapping to the BOARD pins in NUCLEO is different from Generic boards, so even Blink does not work.
No. Pin mapping is just a way to sort pins in a dedicated order. As stated you have to set the good LED pin in the example simply replace LED_BUILTIN in the blind example by the correct pin PYn.

Return to “STM boards (Discovery, Eval, Nucleo, ...)”