Using a Bricked faux-FTDI under Windows 8.1

mrburnette

Re: Using a Bricked faux-FTDI under Windows 8.1

Post by mrburnette » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:06 pm

zoomx wrote:
Ray,
Have you tried to edit the files in another folder, and then move again, or in the same folder where they are (C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository) ?
Yes. Even as Administrator, from the command prompt, the action was denied. GUI spawned from Administrator had same issues.

I think what is lost in the above posts is that I removed the new version of the FTDI driver by using the device manager. Then I installed an older version of the FTDI driver that does not check for the fake chip. After that, all of the details are how to alias the drivers into allowing the PID_0000 to be successfully utilized. The Live DVD Linux disk is what allowed me to edit and save the changes for adding the PID_0000. Under the latest Windows 8.1 with current patches, I was able to edit, but not save. I was able to copy the files, edit and save, but was not allowed by the OS to move them back into the system folder.

Roger is correct from the stand point that moving the FTDI to another PC that does not have the edited drivers will not work because the Plug&Play will not happen correctly since PID_0000 will have no matching driver. Also, if the FTDI utility (or other utility) is utilized to rewrite the PID, the converter will be bricked if plugged back into a Windows machine with newest FTDI drivers.

Perhaps the very newest drivers do not change the PID but send a user message about a counterfeit device, I have read that. But whatever I installed that updated the FTDI driver and bricked the faux chip obviously was the first attempt by FTDI to trash the USB device chip with the PID_0000. I cannot speak to this newest version as I have tried to be diligent and keep the old drivers in place. The driver update was strictly accidental.

Ray

stevech

Post by stevech » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:48 am

I buy USB/serial cables (logic level as there's little need for RS232 now), marketed as FTDI and carry the FTDI logo on the packaging, and from reputable companies in the US.
No issues.

I did buy a Prolific chipset adapter and wasted a lot of time with driver issues, then s-canned it.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:04 pm

stevech wrote:I buy USB/serial cables (logic level as there's little need for RS232 now), marketed as FTDI and carry the FTDI logo on the packaging, and from reputable companies in the US.
No issues.

I did buy a Prolific chipset adapter and wasted a lot of time with driver issues, then s-canned it.
My day-to-day "go for" adapter is labeled "Sparkfun" and seems to have a legitimate chip. However, until last year and the malicious actions of FTDI with the bricking driver distributed by Microsoft Update, I had no idea that the FTDI labeled chip was faux. At the time they were purchased, they were in the $6 range, each. I have 2, my personal policy is to never buy 1 of anything that is inexpensive from China as the replacement time for something that is used often will far exceed the initial expenditure for two.

Anyway... as recorded in the FTDI history of that time, hundreds (thousands? ten-of-thousands?) of FTDI faux units were zapped and inactivated. These days I buy CP21xx from Silicon Labs and they work great. FTDI, while a very nice chip, can go to hell as I will not knowingly/willingly do business with a company that arbitrarily "bricks" a consumer device. There are international courts, laws, and treaties that deal with how these conflicts should be handled. Attacking the end-user is a disgusting show of force. (I understand that there is a new driver that enumerates but sends the application a string of text about the hardware being counterfeit; no write to the PID_0000. But I have no experience with that driver.)

Put it this way: What if Arduino.cc or Arduino.org could , within the IDE, analyze and determine if the UNO, Mini, Nano, Leonardo, etc. was actually a legitimate Arduino... What if the IDE zapped the clone boards and made them unusable? Like I said, Future Technology Devices International can go to hell (business hell, that is... St. Peter can deal with the human spirits at the Pearly Gates.)

Ray

mrmonteith

Post by mrmonteith » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:46 pm

I agree Ray. What if someone invested a lot into a product in the market and then suddenly have stuff bricked? I also use devices with the CP2102 device. I bought some NodeMCU devices and picked the ones with the CP2102.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:58 pm

mrmonteith wrote:I agree Ray. What if someone invested a lot into a product in the market and then suddenly have stuff bricked? I also use devices with the CP2102 device. I bought some NodeMCU devices and picked the ones with the CP2102.
Thankfully, with the STM32 Maple Mini clone (I assume the STM32F103 is authentic! Other than labels, how is one to know?) the USB interface is within the uC proper. Same with the Arduino Micros 32U4. My Cypress 4100/4200 have the break-off USB adapter which works great.

What if Saleae took that action? I have a "real one" but not everyone has a play budget to support that level of support hardware. In the U.S. approximately 2% of cash circulated is counterfeit. If you get caught (unknowingly) trying to use counterfeit currency, the money is confiscated (Secret Service generally delegates this right to local law enforcement, but I understand you can demand validation by the Secret Service - oh, what joy.) Anyway, the consumer is not compensated, even if they receive the money from a Federally insured bank (although all banks will exchange the bills if you can catch it before leaving the counter - walk out the door of the bank and it is your lost. If in doubt, banks here in the States are required to scan cash if the customer demands that action.)

Point is, we consumers who act in good-faith often get punished. Our only recourse is to pursue legal action in our country, or to buck-up and take the lost. We can however vote with our purses the next time we need something and we can tell our friends and coworkers about our experiences and hope they will vote with their money, too. Now, if you have a $10 Saleae clone, tough luck. I know that $150 - $250 is a lots for a hobby, so my suggestions to folk is that they should find a club or some friends to share the cost ... seriously, you only need a Saleae occasionally.

Ray

mrmonteith

Post by mrmonteith » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Judging from messages I'm seeing on the internet people haven't forgotten. Guess we will see what ones show up on new devices. At least there is a fix and move on. I know if I design anything which I'll choose.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:07 pm

I've also decided that FTDI devices are now too risky to use in ether personal or commercial projects.

It's impossible to guarantee that any component is official, ( just google the U.S senate enquiry into the widespread proliferation of counterfeit parts into the US military).
So if Mil procurement can't guarantee genuine parts, there is very little hope that cost conscious consumer manufacturing will be able to do so.

And who knows what drivers are still kicking around in the wild on consumer's machines, waiting to brick your company's products and cause an expensive support and recall program

madias

Post by madias » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:18 pm

What should I say.... my FTDI on my Melzi board (3d-printer) is a fake one. It was driving my nuts to get win7 NOT to load the actual drivers. I searched the whole system for any FTDI drivers (all labeled by "FTDI") deleted them, cut the internet connection and manually installed the cdm_v2.10.00 version (NOT from the FTDI homepage). Finger crossed: Everything is working at the moment.

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:54 am

Another reason to stay with Linux ... :lol:

ahull

Post by ahull » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:04 pm

martinayotte wrote:Another reason to stay with Linux ... :lol:
+1
- Andy Hull -