Using a Bricked faux-FTDI under Windows 8.1

mrburnette

Re: Using a Bricked faux-FTDI under Windows 8.1

Post by mrburnette » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:38 pm

ahull wrote:
martinayotte wrote:Another reason to stay with Linux ... :lol:
+1

As of today, my backup server is Linux and will be taking over as the primary server soon with the Windows 7 machine taking the backkup server role - after a time, the backup will go to Linux. My carry out notebook is now Linux exclusively and I have Arduino installed. My main development notebook will be dual-boot by the end of the morning. I still need Windows 8.1 installed to support older and customer code.

My goal for 2016 is to be Microsoft Windows free, excepting the wife's upstairs notebook running 8.1 which has the scanner, fax, and laser printer in a 3::1 device. As I am her support guru, there is no way that I'm putting myself in front of a bullet just to change her PC. I might divide the breakfast nook with black tape to mark His/Her areas of Linux/Windows use, but I respect the damage an annoyed spouse can do, so her machine will not be included in my going 100% to Linux jaunt. :o

20160130 Update:
After attempting to resize Win8.1 partition the way I wanted to using Microsoft's tools (and being unsuccessful), I finally just decided to install Linux and use the entire partition. If I need to actually compile something under Windows, I'll use virtualbox or just run upstairs and use the wife's 8.1 installation. I now have 1.0.5, 1.6.7 and 1.7.8 all installed on Linux 64-bit and all is working. Bye bye Microsoft.

Ray
Last edited by mrburnette on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevech

Post by stevech » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:59 pm

mrmonteith wrote:I agree Ray. What if someone invested a lot into a product in the market and then suddenly have stuff bricked? I also use devices with the CP2102 device. I bought some NodeMCU devices and picked the ones with the CP2102.
Well, I avoided this by purchasing from reputable distributors of FTDI. Not hard. Just don't be penny-wise/pound foolish when buying tools, and USB/serial is a tool.

On MS Windows cord-cutting:
I make a living doing embedded development and IAR and Keil own that world due to their great compiler/linker and SWD debugger. And they don't bother with Linux.
And there's about 5 or so other tools I rely on that are windows-only.
And MS Office - long and complex documents just don't work with the Office-alikes. I've tried many times.

A hobbyist/student can cut the cord. I hope to someday.

A Linux variant runs my small NAS (synology) 24/7 year in, year out.
I must say though I don't like Microsoft's monopoly, it is necessary for me, now.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:19 am

stevech wrote:
mrmonteith wrote: <...>
A hobbyist/student can cut the cord. I hope to someday.
<...>
I must say though I don't like Microsoft's monopoly, it is necessary for me, now.
I'm (was) a MCSE. I understand.

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

- Bob Dylan

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:02 pm

HackADay are now reporting the latest Windows driver injects extra characters into the data on fake chips

This beggers belief.

Such an arrogant company.

stevech

Post by stevech » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:28 am

RogerClark wrote:HackADay are now reporting the latest Windows driver injects extra characters into the data on fake chips

This beggers belief.

Not nearly as arrogant as Apple.

madias

Post by madias » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:53 pm

RogerClark wrote:HackADay are now reporting the latest Windows driver injects extra characters into the data on fake chips

This beggers belief.

Sorry, they are a******s, because they fight against counterfeit on the consumer side. We are not speaking about a 2USD fake FTDI dongle annoying Hobbyists, but about machines/devices the consumer spend several $$$ and - unhappily - the mainboard contains a fake FTDI. The consumer is the donkey, even worse with "some additional characters". So the user (without knowledge about the fake FTDI chip) is struggling and spending hours of work to find the error. Ok, if FTDI will play hard, they should just use a pop up message in their driver "You are using a fake FTDI chip, please contact the seller...." so the end user know immediately what's going wrong. But I believe FTDI took a own goal with that. After that story, nobody would develop with FTDI devices anymore in future. (I would have the fear that even with a legitim device something goes wrong while communication and the driver is reported a "fake device" and you'll find yourself (or even worse: your customer) in a not traceable situation - worst case scenario: You are a developer of medical devices, you have bad luck with your supplier of FTDI chips. Then a malfunction.. I won't write further, you can you come up with the rest)
btw: even some intel Galileo's are affected: https://communities.intel.com/thread/80 ... 0&tstart=0
Last edited by madias on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:18 pm

Lets hope no system which is safety critical uses FTDI parts.

As I'm not sure who would be liable for the injury caused by injecting data

e.g. Industrial machines e.g. laser cutters, milling machines etc, can have these sorts of devices in them.

madias

Post by madias » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:21 pm

Roger, I've edited my post. Keyword: medical devices

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi Matthias

My laser cutter has some sort of UART interface that controls it. I'm not sure if its an FDTI part or not, I'll need to check the driver, but I know its not a FT232.

Fortunately I'm controlling the laser cutter from an old WIndows XP machine that is not connected to a network, and I manually loaded the drivers from USB stick. So there is no chance it can update.

mrmonteith

Post by mrmonteith » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:35 pm

Boy there is smoke rolling on Hackaday

Adafruit Interviews The CEO Of FTDI

Thought I'd share what's going on.

Michael