Using a Bricked faux-FTDI under Windows 8.1

mrburnette

Re: Using a Bricked faux-FTDI under Windows 8.1

Post by mrburnette » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:13 pm

mrmonteith wrote:Boy there is smoke rolling on Hackaday

IMO, it should be a f'n barnfire of all devices using the FTDI chip. It would be more fun than burning a Beatles record in the '60's!

Ray

mrmonteith

Post by mrmonteith » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:23 pm

mrburnette wrote: IMO, it should be a f'n barnfire of all devices using the FTDI chip. It would be more fun than burning a Beatles record in the '60's!

Ray
:lol: Yeah everyone seems pretty much the same way. There are too many working chips out there to mess with a company that really doesn't care what the end user has to deal with.

Michael

madias

Post by madias » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:41 pm

IMHO: This CEO is shoveling a big grave for the company. There is a little thing he forgot: The most people are using the fake FTDI chips are pupils and students and/or young people with less money BUT: - the opinion leads of the next generation (as multiplicators). And they will avoid using FTDI chips in their designs of the future. Just my guess...

ahull

Post by ahull » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:53 pm

madias wrote:IMHO: This CEO is shoveling a big grave for the company. There is a little thing he forgot: The most people are using the fake FTDI chips are pupils and students and/or young people with less money BUT: - the opinion leads of the next generation (as multiplicators). And they will avoid using FTDI chips in their designs of the future. Just my guess...
I suspect your guess is bang on the money. I think the poor publicity this has generated for FTDI my eventually be their undoing. Having said that, Apple's latest "we will brick your iphone" policy seems to be an even more spectacular example of some misguided managers ability to train the laser pointer squarely at their size nine and squeeze the trigger. I expect more digits to be shot from the corporate FTDI foot before they finally realise that pissing off their customers is a very expensive and painful business. Apple may have much bigger feet, but they seem to be aiming a howitzer, rather than a 9 mm at theirs.
- Andy Hull -

stevech

Post by stevech » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:41 am

The winner has to be Microsoft and their "Bend Over, your windows 10 is coming like an enema you can't refuse."

stevech

Post by stevech » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:50 am

madias wrote:IMHO: This CEO is shoveling a big grave for the company. There is a little thing he forgot: The most people are using the fake FTDI chips are pupils and students and/or young people with less money BUT: - the opinion leads of the next generation (as multiplicators). And they will avoid using FTDI chips in their designs of the future. Just my guess...
FTDI USB/Serial for students/hobbyists probably barely budges the revenue needle at FTDI.
We use them professionally in millions, to include the 232H at 4-12Mbaud.

ahull

Post by ahull » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:43 am

stevech wrote:
FTDI USB/Serial for students/hobbyists probably barely budges the revenue needle at FTDI.
We use them professionally in millions, to include the 232H at 4-12Mbaud.
I understand the argument that students and hobbyists contribute very little to their budget, but this has affected a lot of big players who have purchased (by whatever method), fake FTDI products believing them to be genuine in many instances.

That the FTDI product can push serial at 4-12Mbaud is interesting, but bear in mind that WiFi is orders of magnitude faster and that Prolific and even the Chinese competition can do the "I'm a serial serial port" trick cheaper. FTDI should concentrate on innovating and impressing their existing customers, and attracting new ones, rather than crap on them in this misguided way.

That also applies to any company arrogant enough to think they can do what they like without consequences and the customer will just bear up with it and smile. One of the first rules of business is that if you loose a customer (for *any* reason), you will rarely get them back. One they have dropped you, they are very unlikely to admit they were wrong by coming back to you.
- Andy Hull -

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:31 pm

ahull wrote: <...> One of the first rules of business is that if you loose a customer (for *any* reason), you will rarely get them back. One they have dropped you, they are very unlikely to admit they were wrong by coming back to you.

Yes! Every business student knows that but for some reason, by the time people work their way into areas of responsibilities in business, they either forget or negate that truth. As such, they do the stockholders, company name, and customers a terrible disservice.

I'm a MCSE that has flipped-off Microsoft and have gone to Linux. I also threw the two faux FTDI units that I have in the trash, not worth my time to re-program the PID. (I did take my hotair station and remove a few SMT parts for other use.)

(A company with an ampersand in the 3rd position of their name) is my old employer, screwed me over on my iPhone plan - I no longer do business with those imbeciles. I was supposed to have free ADSL while employed at "same company" but their billing idiots could ***never*** get the billing concession correct over years of trying: now retired, I'm with Comcast Xfinity now and love it: faster, rarely down, reasonable rate for speed, no hassles.

I changed my home and automobile insurance last year because the company I had been with for 20 years decided to up my rates by 33%. I changed companies and lowered the old rate by 50%.

I no longer fill-up the automobile at gasoline from the company that wrecked the Gulf.

As God is my witness, I will never buy a Nissan again after being a loyal customer for 30 years and all because of terrible customer-service and a warranty replacement program that is broken worst than the parts that need replacing!

I'm old and crotchety and have reached the point in my life where I simply have no bandwidth for ignorant, stupid, or inappropriate behavior: people or businesses. And, I feel good about me. I see too many people that support brand loyalty far longer than they should or believe they are in a position (business contract, relationship) where they have no option but to move forward. To these people I say, 'Find a way to make the change and move on... life is too complicated to purposely add to your own misery.'

Ray