Iteadmaple dropped price - US$5.80

Maple Rev3, Maple Rev 5 and Maple Ret 6, iTead Maple etc
pico
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Iteadmaple dropped price - US$5.80

Postby pico » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:15 pm

The Iteadmaple (Itead's Maple R5 clone) has dropped in price to US$5.80.

I see Roger has left a review for one of these that said the reset button needed to be uploaded after an upload for the usb serial to work. I've got an Iteadmaple which doesn't require this extra step -- however, it may be an older version of this board, as I bought it few years back (I think I paid ~$30 back then, which seemed cheap compared to the genuine Maple R5. which was ~$50-60, IIRC.) Perhaps the firmware has changed since then.

Anyway, I quite like my old Iteadmaple, and can confirm it works well with the new software, and thought it was worth alerting forum members of the new price, in case there is any interest for a board in this form factor.

madias
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:26 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Iteadmaple dropped price - US$5.80

Postby madias » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Ok, for that price...wow. I think, they have too much in their inventory and didn't sold them over the years.
So if anyone need it, GRAB it!

madias
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:26 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Iteadmaple dropped price - US$5.80

Postby madias » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:29 pm

Do they feel offended if I order the board for that price, but only without MCU? ;) (--> STM32F103RC is quiet cheap on ali!)

victor_pv
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Re: Iteadmaple dropped price - US$5.80

Postby victor_pv » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:13 pm

And it has 4 times as much flash, as it really has 512Kb ;) and 64KB of RAM!

pico
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Re: Iteadmaple dropped price - US$5.80

Postby pico » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:18 am

victor_pv wrote:And it has 4 times as much flash, as it really has 512Kb ;) and 64KB of RAM!


The datasheet for the RC only shows 256K/48K ram, the RD is 384K/64K, and the RE is 512K/64K. Why do you say the RC has the same specs as the RE?

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 5466
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Iteadmaple dropped price - US$5.80

Postby RogerClark » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:19 am

I suspect Victor is referring to the additional hardware that is in the RC thats not in the RB

The RB doesn't have the DAC's etc where as the RC, RE etc have DAC's and some other nice additional hardware (I think including SDIO)

victor_pv
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Re: Iteadmaple dropped price - US$5.80

Postby victor_pv » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:40 am

pico wrote:
victor_pv wrote:And it has 4 times as much flash, as it really has 512Kb ;) and 64KB of RAM!


The datasheet for the RC only shows 256K/48K ram, the RD is 384K/64K, and the RE is 512K/64K. Why do you say the RC has the same specs as the RE?


Because I have some RC boards, and all of them tested to have 512KB flash, and 64KB of RAM.
Can't say if that's every RC out there, but the ones I have do, which supports the same observation we have seen with the C8 chips having actually 128KB:
ST actually uses the same die for several MCUs in the series. It seems as is all High Density with the same pinout are actually the same, RC, RD and RE are the same, Medium density C8 and CB are the same, and I suspect RF and RG are the same.

User avatar
FurkanCetin
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:31 pm
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Contact:

Re: Iteadmaple dropped price - US$5.80

Postby FurkanCetin » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:31 am

madias wrote:Ok, for that price...wow. I think, they have too much in their inventory and didn't sold them over the years.
So if anyone need it, GRAB it!


I have GRABBED last two of them :) They are joined to boards-to-be-used-someday inventory.

keypunch
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:26 am

Re: Iteadmaple dropped price - US$5.80

Postby keypunch » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:25 am

Hello,

This is my first post.

If you feel this is the wrong place for my questions please advise me. I have looked about and thought, perhaps incorrectly, this would be the place to post my questions to enable me decide if I should purchase a lteadmaple board or couple.

I have not used an Arduino before. I wish to try a Nano for project that even 8 ADC pins for a project I need to create will be challenged in terms of not enough ADC pins. One app element I have lots of experience with in Linux and is one of the common things an Arduino is used for. This of course using different code than on Linux! This one app element will use one digital pin of the Arduino and no ADC pins.

I am rather technical. I started in assembler programming fixing and making extensive modifications to OS and Compilers. This also meant dealing with interrupt routines and re-entrant interrupt code. I should readlly get back to assembler, but no time and most of time code I need to write I need portable to different OSs as much as possible. I have looked at the "sketches" Arduino's use and many that others have written. I will be just fine with such coding, including the usual code fumbles and typos.

I discovered the Iteadmaple over a week ago on the http://www.itead.cc site as a result of searching for Arduino's with more ADCs, but maybe not as large as the Mega. It seems, but I am still trying to dig through the PDF from the http://www.itead.cc site and other sources, that the Iteadmaple has 16 ADCs. It appears some pins can have one of a few different functions, meaning one chooses the function the pin will be of the choices allowed for that pin. I have not determined what the number of digital pins from the 39 listed the Iteadmaple has left over on assumption I will use all 16 ADC pins.

Application is not robotics, nor in need of PWM. I need ADC for inputs from devices that put out a pure analogue signal. Likewise just a pure digital signal for digital pins for input. I just need alot of sensors to log data to one device. It would be nice if some or many of the digital pins can respond to leading edge signal as an interrupt.

The Nano is small, but sadly once I add a shield for will be about same size as a Uno, Iteadmaple, and similar form factor a few Arduino's share. I am not sure of the power demand differences between a Nano and Iteadmaple are, but I suspect the number of devices being used may be more of a factor. I have not done the worse case power calculations for prospective Arduino capability vs application demands. I will do that for sure.

I will also be purchasing a DS3231 based RTC and an SD card. This for the Nano to experiment as a datalogger concept and form factor considerations.

Some questions I have about the Iteadmaple in no specific order of importance to me in addition to the above musings I have made are:

1) Can I use this in usual IDE approach using Linux? I do not use Windows, do not have Windows, no thank you if I can avoid. Thoughs on pros and cons for a strickly Linux based development of the Iteadmaple?

2) There is this USB for serial and DFU matter some have experienced and some have not.

3) Are there new/alternative bootloaders that can be used? If so pros and cons. I have read a little about this over past week, but not enough yet to know.

4) I assume the ADCs are 10 bit?

5) It appears shields may be a challenge for the pins G, 23-37 of Iteadmaple.

6) I assume I will have enough pins left over to use some I2C devices if I need to and more than pair in event I have some I2C device address conflicts that cannot be resolved with jumpers (cable or pin headers)?

7) What experiences have you had as a datalogger using an SD card? No coding examples are needed unless you feel there is a need to explain. Just the pros, cons, unexpected, or same as any other Arduino experiences is what I am seeking.

8) Does the UFC and USB serial matter also exist when using Linux? My sense is yes, based on how I understand the reason this is by choice of design of the bootloader. I am assuming even if there is no Windows driver factor when using Linux in the design of the bootloader that this will remain so in Linux as this is how the bootloader was designed. Therefore I am assuming that sets the behaviour no matter what OS one would use?

I suspect I am forgetting some questions. If I have I will post those when they come to mind.

If there are other points or links to suggest as a result of my posting, questions or comments feel free to speak up. Though I am technical, it is just fine to assume I know less than more or even zip! At this point I have some basic concepts about Arduino's. Arduino's do seem in some ways like the first computers I worked on, but even the smallest of the Arduino's memory and RAM are close to the computers I first worked on. Dare to take a guess what hint of me would suggest that possibility?

I like to order some of these Iteadmaple not just for the 16 ADC on board, but the extra memory has some usefullness in some of the coding techniques I use.


John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
01 August 2016 23:11

User avatar
Slammer
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:35 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: Iteadmaple dropped price - US$5.80

Postby Slammer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:17 pm

keypunch wrote:1) Can I use this in usual IDE approach using Linux? I do not use Windows, do not have Windows, no thank you if I can avoid. Thoughs on pros and cons for a strickly Linux based development of the Iteadmaple?

IDE is working under linux. No problem.

keypunch wrote:2) There is this USB for serial and DFU matter some have experienced and some have not.

USB serial is working as advertised. Sometimes you need to repeat the download process, but it is OK.

keypunch wrote:3) Are there new/alternative bootloaders that can be used? If so pros and cons. I have read a little about this over past week, but not enough yet to know.

It is better to use the bootloader V2, requires less memory.

keypunch wrote:4) I assume the ADCs are 10 bit?

No. ADC of F103 are 12 bit.

keypunch wrote:5) It appears shields may be a challenge for the pins G, 23-37 of Iteadmaple.

Dont expect full adruino shield compatibility. Some of them are working without modifications, some other no for various reasons

keypunch wrote:6) I assume I will have enough pins left over to use some I2C devices if I need to and more than pair in event I have some I2C device address conflicts that cannot be resolved with jumpers (cable or pin headers)?

You can use two I2C interfaces without problem.

keypunch wrote:7) What experiences have you had as a datalogger using an SD card? No coding examples are needed unless you feel there is a need to explain. Just the pros, cons, unexpected, or same as any other Arduino experiences is what I am seeking.

As I know, the SD read/writing is working.

keypunch wrote:8) Does the UFC and USB serial matter also exist when using Linux? My sense is yes, based on how I understand the reason this is by choice of design of the bootloader. I am assuming even if there is no Windows driver factor when using Linux in the design of the bootloader that this will remain so in Linux as this is how the bootloader was designed. Therefore I am assuming that sets the behaviour no matter what OS one would use?

No problem in both systems with USB/Bootloader operation.

Note that while the STM32F103RE supports 16 ADC channels, these channels are not always available as various peripherals are using the same pins (for example UART2). You have to consider which peripherals are needed for your application and then to examine the pin allocation and the ADC pins availability.


Return to “Maple”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest