LeafLabs Maple rev5

Maple Rev3, Maple Rev 5 and Maple Ret 6, iTead Maple etc
SurfingDude

LeafLabs Maple rev5

Postby SurfingDude » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:27 pm

I have a couple of original LeafLabs Maple Boards, rev5, bought in 2012/2013. They were troublesome boards, requiring pushing a button during flashing with the LeafLabs fork of early Arduino software After a while they stopped working and I put them aside and switched to the Arduino Uno. Is there now a way to revive them, maybe a better bootloader, to use with the Arduino.cc 1.6.5 IDE?

madias

Re: LeafLabs Maple rev5

Postby madias » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:52 am

For sure!
There is a ready made V2 bootloader (*.bin) for the maple REV5:
https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 1/binaries
Descriptions read here:
https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... bootloader

SurfingDude

Postby SurfingDude » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Thank you Madias!

Now a related question. If I should need more boards like this Maple, is there a reliable source for quality boards such as this, for delivery in the USA? I'm of course looking for STM32, the Arduino form factor and compatibility with the arduino.cc IDE.

Right now I don't consider ebay to be reliable, but perhaps I should.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Very few companies now make the actual Maple boards.

I bought one from IteadStudio a while back, but I got the impression that they are selling off their old stock and would not be manufacturing again (because they kept reducing the price more and more to get rid of stock).

The good news however is that they are loads of other generic STM32 boards available on eBay and AliExpress.

These generic boards come in all shapes and sizes with various members of the STM32F103 product family. From the 64k F103C8 up to the F103ZG (which I think has at least 512k flash)

But if you need a board that looks like the Uno, e.g. with Arduino headers, your choice will still be somewhat limited.

ahull

Postby ahull » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:06 pm

SurfingDude wrote:Thank you Madias!

Now a related question. If I should need more boards like this Maple, is there a reliable source for quality boards such as this, for delivery in the USA? I'm of course looking for STM32, the Arduino form factor and compatibility with the arduino.cc IDE.

There are similar boards,for example this... however, I cannot vouch for the supplier. You can also find a few suppliers with original boards, for example here.

The many low cost stm32f103 boards are much cheaper, and by and large, I have had no real problems with the ones I have tried.
- Andy Hull -

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:32 pm

ahull wrote:There are similar boards,for example this... however, I cannot vouch for the supplier.

This board is in fact sold directly from Olimex since it is their design, although expensive, it is much cheaper than what this eBay guy ask for.
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Duino/S ... INO-STM32/

stevech

Postby stevech » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:30 pm

martinayotte wrote:
ahull wrote:There are similar boards,for example this... however, I cannot vouch for the supplier.

This board is in fact sold directly from Olimex since it is their design, although expensive, it is much cheaper than what this eBay guy ask for.
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Duino/S ... INO-STM32/

Olimex's board is nicely done, but its just a small-memory STM32F1xx.
You can get an M4 Photon board with WiFi for $20.

mrburnette

Postby mrburnette » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:57 pm

stevech wrote:<...>

Or, one can buy a Maple Mini + ESP8266 for around $6 USD. What is the point of needless compares?

The trick, IMO, is to design to an optimal platform...
- Not too many uC wasted cycles,
- Not a "gold plated" solution,
- Right match of hardware for the workload.

So, my work takes me to a variety of architectures; 8-bit to 32-bit. Sometimes, an Atmel t85 is just perfect, sometimes a Cypress M0 PSoC, often the STM32F103, and ocassionally a Teensy3.1.

Your quote is 100% correct, but we engineers need to keep in mind that not everyone has a lifetime of experience under their belts: For me, I try to give a measured response so a newbie will not think they must have an expensive $20 board for every project. In fact, the old Arduino.cc thread about the Maple Mini clone started as an inexpensive entry into a more capable and semi-compatible and cheap clone.

Ray

madias

Postby madias » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:57 am

SurfingDude wrote:Thank you Madias!

The nucleo F103RB has arduino style headers (I scoffed in several threads about them, I'm the person who did the conversation for this nucleo board). But I wouldn't recommend it.
If you can neglect the "arduino style pin headers" there are several nice boards on aliexpress.
I would prefer aliexpress over ebay. I ordered about more than 100 items from them without problems.
Here are some nice lookings boards:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Small-sy ... 5,201409_3
This one is the "feature winner" viewtopic.php?f=28&t=490 ---> actual on ali: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ARM-Cort ... 5,201560_1

...and this one is my "working horse": http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cortex-M ... 5,201560_1 (but I got it about 6 EUR, now it's about 10USD, so maybe the second board I linked is the smartest one while the first one is a little bit smaller)
They are all really powerful (at least 48kb RAM and 256kb flash) and with two 12-bit "real" DAC's and I2S. So I see no reason to buy a "maple compatible" board, they are much more expensive and lack of features. If you need a really small size board, search on aliexpress for "maple mini" (the "baite" ones are better) the cost under 4 USD with free shipping.

stevech

Postby stevech » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:58 pm

mrburnette wrote:
stevech wrote:<...>

Or, one can buy a Maple Mini + ESP8266 for around $6 USD. What is the point of needless compares?

Ray

Software completeness and clarity.
Simplicity.
Minimize reinvention.
Preference.

Return to “Maple”