Seeed Arch Max

Limited support for STM32F4 Discovery, Nucleo and custom F4 boards
martinayotte

Re: Seeed Arch Max

Post by martinayotte » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:14 pm

I've received my Arch_Max board ! :D
Powering it thru J10 USB, I didn't saw any ttyACM discovered, so maybe current firmware doesn't do much yet.
Since I'm always doing backups of original firmware, I've decided to place BOOT0 at 3V, and I saw it with dfu-util.
Making first backup, but only 64K, dfu-util refuse to go further, even with --upload-size specified.
Hexdump-ing it reveal that there is some "ChibiOS RT Test Suite" along with web page.
(But I didn't hookup ETH cable yet ...)
On the second USB J8, where the NXP is connected, it reveal a /dev/ttyACM and a MassStorage.
But opening terminal on ttyACM doesn't much, it look quiet. The MassStorage have an mbed.htm, so cat-ing it reveal old firmware revision compared to mbed site. I've upgraded it after download, but to my understanding, this is the firmware that belong to the NXP, nothing related to the STM32.
Next step will be probably to give it a try by copying a STM32 firmware into the MassStorage, but I wish to make sure the "ChibiOS" isn't more than the 64K of the first backup.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Martin

Do you have a STLink you could connect to the F4, as that should allow you to read back all Flash that is not protected

(I dont know if the F4 supports the Serial bootloader interface, as that would be another option to read the contents of the flash)

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:47 am

On the Arch+Max, the SWD is already connected to the NXP and doesn't seems to be available on header, so NXP seems to act as a kind of STLink, but I've not seen any document how to use it, especially that it enumerate itself as "NXP LPC1768" along with the MassStorage.
I've try to hook up thru Serial PB6/PB7 with stm32flash, but didn't succeeded yet. I don't know why.
(yes, F4 support it, but last time I did was a year ago).
(BTW, an newer stm32flash-0.5 came out a month ago)

Further tomorrow ...

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:55 am

Martin

Is the Serial bootloader on a different USART, as on the F103 its on USART 1 which is on PA9 / PA10 ??

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:29 am

PA9/PA10 is used as the OTG_FS_USB, so they are not available.
From what I remember on F4, the BOOT0 bootloader is looking at DFU, Serial on multiple ports and also I2C, so Serial on PB6/PB7 should work, but it didn't.
Maybe I will need to look around the big PDFs and try several scenarios.

EDIT : This whole thing is only to be confident that original-firmware is properly done. As soon I have this confidence, I will start flashing many things : Blinker, USBSerial Telnet, SDCard, etc ... I'm anxious :D

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:57 am

My board was shipped on Monday.

I'm not sure how long the shipping time from Seeed Studio is, i.e I can't remember what postal service they use.

But I'll let you know when mine arrives

Re: UART 1 being USB OTG

It may be worth taking a look at the schematic, as if all they did was pull one of the pins to 3.3V via a 1.5k resistor, you can probably still use them as a UART as long as nothing is pulled into the OTG port.

(Actually, this is probably the same as on my Discovery 407, so I can possibly test)

BTW. Having the NXP rather than STLink seems not so good, especially as we don't have the firmware source code for that device

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:45 am

RogerClark wrote:BTW. Having the NXP rather than STLink seems not so good, especially as we don't have the firmware source code for that device
Yes ! That was one of my thought. MBed been OpenSource, it isn't clear why source code of this firmware link is not well published .
But, personally, except that SWD debugging still useful, for now, I won't bother if DFU still the way to go for upload.

devan

Post by devan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:41 am

martinayotte wrote:
RogerClark wrote:BTW. Having the NXP rather than STLink seems not so good, especially as we don't have the firmware source code for that device
Yes ! That was one of my thought. MBed been OpenSource, it isn't clear why source code of this firmware link is not well published .
But, personally, except that SWD debugging still useful, for now, I won't bother if DFU still the way to go for upload.
That seems a bit backwards to me - the debug firmware on the NXP part is almost certainly derived from the open source mbed CMSIS-DAP or DAPLink firmware, which you can theoretically build yourself (in practice, the code size limitations on the free version of Keil may be problematic...)

The source for the STLink firmware, on the other hand, has never been released.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:20 am

stevech wrote:
I saw the user post that the board was $19. On seeed's web store, I saw the $19 "ARCH" board was ye ole NXP M0 and the STM32 "ARCH xxx" boards started at $39, some using STM32. Apologies if I misunderstood.
NXP M0 @ $19 boy did you just panic me :) mind i hadn't spotted the discount on the STM32 either, shame about the postage.

stephen

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:23 pm

The Arch Max owner's community will grow in 5-6 weeks with another (newby) member ;)
Should we add a special entry to this board in the Wiki?
Or you all are using mbed as IDE?