tiny stm32 F4 boards

Limited support for STM32F4 Discovery, Nucleo and custom F4 boards
racemaniac
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:09 am

Re: tiny stm32 F4 boards

Post by racemaniac » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:09 am

michael_l wrote:interesting flight / motion control board

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IntoRob ... 59575.html
That's indeed a nice board :). may consider buying one :), great features for that price.
But atm i'm having fun designing my own mini board for my own purposes :) (as you can se on the custom board section). I'm still working on my lightsaber project, and i'm trying to build a maple mini sized board with micro sd, motion sensor, USB, DAC & amplifier, and high current switching for my ledstring (not sure if i can get all of that on a small 2 layer board, but we'll see where we get). It's a fun adventure, but it takes a lot of time XD. now testing the first board i made (without amplifier & mosfets for switching on/off a ledstring), and it's working pretty well, already have made new revisions in kicad with extra features.

michael_l
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Re: tiny stm32 F4 boards

Post by michael_l » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:03 pm

racemaniac wrote:
michael_l wrote:interesting flight / motion control board

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IntoRob ... 59575.html
That's indeed a nice board :). may consider buying one :), great features for that price.
But atm i'm having fun designing my own mini board for my own purposes :) (as you can se on the custom board section). I'm still working on my lightsaber project, and i'm trying to build a maple mini sized board with micro sd, motion sensor, USB, DAC & amplifier, and high current switching for my ledstring (not sure if i can get all of that on a small 2 layer board, but we'll see where we get). It's a fun adventure, but it takes a lot of time XD. now testing the first board i made (without amplifier & mosfets for switching on/off a ledstring), and it's working pretty well, already have made new revisions in kicad with extra features.
Yes, I'm not sure if it includes the sensors also. But, anyway nice board as it has ESP8266 integrated. Not sure how they're linked together with STM.

I saw your project, very cool! :-) how have you implemented the 'varying sound' when lightsaber moves ? are you modifying the audio real-time to get that nice effect ?

racemaniac
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:09 am

Re: tiny stm32 F4 boards

Post by racemaniac » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:23 pm

michael_l wrote:
racemaniac wrote:
michael_l wrote:interesting flight / motion control board

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IntoRob ... 59575.html
That's indeed a nice board :). may consider buying one :), great features for that price.
But atm i'm having fun designing my own mini board for my own purposes :) (as you can se on the custom board section). I'm still working on my lightsaber project, and i'm trying to build a maple mini sized board with micro sd, motion sensor, USB, DAC & amplifier, and high current switching for my ledstring (not sure if i can get all of that on a small 2 layer board, but we'll see where we get). It's a fun adventure, but it takes a lot of time XD. now testing the first board i made (without amplifier & mosfets for switching on/off a ledstring), and it's working pretty well, already have made new revisions in kicad with extra features.
Yes, I'm not sure if it includes the sensors also. But, anyway nice board as it has ESP8266 integrated. Not sure how they're linked together with STM.

I saw your project, very cool! :-) how have you implemented the 'varying sound' when lightsaber moves ? are you modifying the audio real-time to get that nice effect ?
streaming multiple sounds (idle & swinging), and mixing them together based on motion. the harder you swing the more the swinging sound gets mixed in. later on i may add 2 or 3 levels of swinging sounds, and multiple sounds per level it can switch between so you get very varied swinging noises ^^.

Ollie
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: tiny stm32 F4 boards

Post by Ollie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Recently, I have been very pleased for the Teensy 3.2/3.5/3.6 boards. They are very compact, high quality, and have excellent S/W support. If the next Teensy 4.x would be F4 based, it would combine many good things. The lower cost of F4 compared to Kinetis chips could make Teensy 4.x even lower price than Teensy 3.x.

In ideal case, there would be a Teensy 4.x variant with WiFi or BT5 support.

palmerr
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: tiny stm32 F4 boards

Post by palmerr » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:51 pm

Ollie,

I have Teensys in a number of projects and they are very sweet, especially the 3.5/3.6 models which have enough grunt to do real time audio processing and a range of other fun things. As you say, Paul's software support for Teensy is exceptional, and I'd guess that the cost of the boards includes something to recoup the costs of prototype and software development. Paul has commented that the audio library took nearly a year (obviously not full time!) to perfect.

Paul is fairly well entrenched with NXP, so I think it unlikely that a Teensy with an STM processor is likely in the near future.

Another interesting mini board is the $10US C.H.I.P with an Allwinner R8 (Cortex A8 - Gigahertz class) processor, WiFi, etc. https://docs.getchip.com/chip.html

Of course this is moving away from the core subject here - STM F4 mini boards.

Perhaps we should be looking at the STM H7 series - to keep stretching the performance edge!

Richard

Ollie
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: tiny stm32 F4 boards

Post by Ollie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:21 am

The C.H.I.P is a viable alternative for RPi, but it cannot compete with Teensy or STM32F1/F4 in the peripheral operations. I still do prefer RPi due the more mature software support. My favorites are RPi 3 and RPi 0 with WiFi. I have been waiting for RPi 4. If it has Bluetooth 5 support it would be an excellent solution for many existing applications.

I think that F7 and H7 are not yet ready for prime time. They have very nice architecture, but they need to reduce the geometry to lower cost, improve performance, and reduce power consumption. H7 with 1.8V implementation could be in the main stream in 5 years.

ag123
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: tiny stm32 F4 boards

Post by ag123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:04 pm

i'm thinking that things like f4 and maybe for a higher cost f7, fills in the 'void' between the 'mcu' end e.g. from the modest 328 with only several k of sram and flash, to perhaps stm32f1 which seemed to be a 'de-facto standard' for 'maple' or 'bluepill' style boards
vs those cortex-A richly ram equipped boards with possibly 10s of megs to 100s of megs to gigabytes of memory and flash but perhaps has no integrated adc, dac etc e.g. raspberry pi, beagle bone black etc etc

one of those issues is that things like micropython (https://store.micropython.org/store/#/store) or perhaps elua (http://www.eluaproject.net/) etc do use up quite a bit of ram. and it would be like packing an elephant in a box to run them say on a bluepill, maple mini etc :lol:

and if one wants to go to a full blown micro-windows gui run an spi lcd screen, touch screen, rich menus with bitmaps/icons, run dma talking to usb host, run dma taling to micro sd card doing sdfat32 etc and still run analog pins, display oscilloscope, logic analyzer traces etc my guess is 20k of sram would easily run out before it could even be possible

michael_l
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Re: tiny stm32 F4 boards

Post by michael_l » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:41 pm


ag123
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: tiny stm32 F4 boards

Post by ag123 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:19 pm

nice find, hopefully ebay & aliexpress start having more stm32f405rgt6 mini boards as well :lol:

michael_l
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Re: tiny stm32 F4 boards

Post by michael_l » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:47 pm

ag123 wrote:nice find, hopefully ebay & aliexpress start having more stm32f405rgt6 mini boards as well :lol:
Exactly! :-)

Post Reply