STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Limited support for STM32F4 Discovery, Nucleo and custom F4 boards
onehorse

Re: STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Postby onehorse » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:52 pm

I thought there was a link to the Tindie page with pictures and schematic, etc. Here it is:

https://www.tindie.com/products/onehors ... out-board/

I welcome all comments; you won't hurt my feelings.

This board is expected to do whatever a Teensy can do plus a lot more. It is more expensive at $29.95 simply because it comes with the supercap battery backup, rgb led, 16 Mbyte of QSPI flash, and 32.768 kHz crystal the Teensy lacks. The build cost is just under $20 which I expect to come down after the initial 100 unit batch since the volumes will increase and NRE costs diminish.

The idea is to use the USB connector (yes, there is one) to program the device using the Arduino IDE, just like the Teensy. At first, it won't have all of the libraries people have created for the Teensy and it won't have the user base or active Forum (duh!), and it won't have Paul Stoffregen spending every waking moment answering peoples' forum questions. So this might be a downside.

I see the experienced Teensy user as a prime user candidate for this board. It will do more than the Teensy, faster than the Teensy, with more peripherals than the Teensy but is as easy to program as the Teensy. That is the value proposition.

I bought a Raspberry Pi zero from Adafruit, but frankly, I don't know what to do with it. At least with Dragonfly, people who have used an Arduino or Teensy will know to plug in the USB cable, see the blinking light, and go from there.

Can it be better? I think so, and we have plans for a cheaper STM32L432 version and a higher performance STM32F4 version in the same Teensy-sized form factor.

All suggestions for improvement or slams at our stupidity are welcome!

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:44 pm

Unfortunately, the link to Tindie doesn't provide schematic either, only the pinout image of the module, and the STM datasheet, but no module schematic.

onehorse

Postby onehorse » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Did you scroll the images at the top of the page? There is the schematic, not easy to read, I grant you, but legible.

This is a slightly older version which doesn't include the 22 Ohm resistors or the TVS diode on the D+/D- lines. There might be one or two other minor mods, but if you want to look at the schematic for some reason, it is there.

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks, onehorse !
I didn't scroll further than the pinout ... Now I did ... :-)
Though, it would be nicer if it was a pdf, so that I would need to ware my glasses ... :lol:

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:57 pm

To save everyone else the trouble, here is the (linked) image

GrumpyOldPizza

Postby GrumpyOldPizza » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:33 pm

RogerClark wrote:I know the F4 outperforms the MCU on the Teensy, but people looking for faster MCU's than the Teensy can now get the RPi Zero for $5 (when its actually available).

(First post, so bear with a newbee)

RPi Zero and such are always alternatives. I can also throw a CDC 6600 into the mix if I really need the horsepower. The thing is that this is a microcontroller for projects where throwing the kitchensink at it is a waste.

I did approach Onehorse about the board, because my previous platform to do robotics projects with seemed to die out (TM4C123GH6PM ;-)). Teensy was always a mystery for me, as it has no JTAG/SWD access, and I am just not perfect enough writing code to do without. The STM32L4 seemed to be rather attractive due to the mix of peripherals and the Cortex-M4F core (yes, FPU ...), and overall has less rough edges than the STM32F4 variants.

The theme for the software platform is Arduino Zero compatibility, asynchronous IO, low-power, and perhaps down the road RTOS integration. I really don't want to go into all the gory details, so bear with me till something usable will pop up on github ;-)

Besides the SWD/JTAG, what I really find stunning about this board is the 16MBytes Serial NOR on it. Got a FAT file system (with FTL) and USB MSC, so that on my laptop I can mount it, put file on it, and then read the filesfrom STM32L4). Write performance is adequate for logging. So my next autonomous rovers can get by without SDCARD ...

- Thomas

firebirduino

Postby firebirduino » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:22 am

While I was doing some other boards, I did finish a F4stamp this month. Originally I wanted to use bottom entry headers to eliminate hand soldering. The cost was too high and also the min. qty. is 1K. I gave it up for a standard design, but a user has to hands solder all 64 points.
My design is based on Frank Zhao's F4Stamp that quite a few members have it.
I uploaded Gerber files to Oshpark. You can see it from the following link.
http://www.firebirduino.com/

AnalogLamb

Postby AnalogLamb » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:07 am

stevech wrote:https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/32815-Teensy-with-a-STM32F405?p=95396#post95396

This is a real STM32F405 Teensy derivative board from http://www.analoglamb.com

Last edited by AnalogLamb on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnalogLamb.Com - STM32Duino for Everyone

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:51 am

HTTPS link doesn't work, can you change it to http and link straight to the page not the whole site

AnalogLamb

Postby AnalogLamb » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:29 am

RogerClark wrote:HTTPS link doesn't work, can you change it to http and link straight to the page not the whole site

Thanks
AnalogLamb.Com - STM32Duino for Everyone

Return to “STM32F4 Boards”