STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Limited support for STM32F4 Discovery, Nucleo and custom F4 boards

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 6721
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Post by RogerClark » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:31 am

Interesting

OSH Park say it can be programmed via the Arduino IDE, but I'm not sure which core they are using, or whether they have written their own.

https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/UsVw5yxK

I'm not sure if @onehorse on the teensy forum is OSHPark or someone else, as he mentions not good support via libmaple (indirectly), i.e as its an L4 not and F4 and points out our F4 support is not strong (which is true)

I thought perhaps they were going to use Koduino, but it still only has support for F405, and mostly supports F3, as thats the board Avik designed.

Anyway. Interesting development, especially if someone is writing a whole new core from scratch with full Arduino compatibility

User avatar
mrmonteith
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:11 pm
Location: Greenville, North Carolina
Contact:

Re: STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Post by mrmonteith » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Another guy has a STM32F4 Stamp based on the STM32F405.
STM32F4STamp

I just started looking at it yesterday. He has given out the Schematic and Board files. Too many to-dos for me right now. :lol:

Oh, there is a version .02 of that Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Michael

User avatar
martinayotte
Posts: 1213
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Post by martinayotte » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:53 pm

mrmonteith wrote:Another guy has a STM32F4 Stamp based on the STM32F405.
STM32F4STamp

I just started looking at it yesterday. He has given out the Schematic and Board files. Too many to-dos for me right now. :lol:
Hi Michael,
I'm using this board that Frank gracefully sent me two years ago.
It is a bit because of that board that I'm on this forum since the beginning (and a bit before when it was part of Arduino forum)
I'm also using a Netduino2Plus, which is also an STM32F405.
I really like this chip, so I've used it in my own design.

User avatar
mrmonteith
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:11 pm
Location: Greenville, North Carolina
Contact:

Re: STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Post by mrmonteith » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:32 pm

martinayotte wrote: Hi Michael,
I'm using this board that Frank gracefully sent me two years ago.
It is a bit because of that board that I'm on this forum since the beginning (and a bit before when it was part of Arduino forum)
I'm also using a Netduino2Plus, which is also an STM32F405.
I really like this chip, so I've used it in my own design.
I need to make a note of that. ;) Keep you for reference. I'm sticking more with the stamp or pill type, however you want to call them. But I can't say much as I really haven't made anything yet. :lol: I need to make myself sit down and create some smoke or something.

Michael

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 6721
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Post by RogerClark » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:42 pm

I like the look of the STM32F4Stamp

But my track record of soldering F103s is not good and I suspect I would initially damage a lot of F4s if i built one of these boards.

User avatar
mrmonteith
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:11 pm
Location: Greenville, North Carolina
Contact:

Re: STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Post by mrmonteith » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:40 am

RogerClark wrote:I like the look of the STM32F4Stamp

But my track record of soldering F103s is not good and I suspect I would initially damage a lot of F4s if i built one of these boards.
I'll have to check how much it would cost for a small run. I do pretty good soldering SMD. I've got to wait a while before I can spend any more money on projects. I need to build what I have for now I guess.

When I do get to that point I'll do a check to see how many people want to go in on it.

Attached is a pic of some of my SMD work. One of the chips wasn't done totally.

Michael
Attachments
OP Amp BottomS.jpg
OP Amp BottomS.jpg (208.58 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

User avatar
mrburnette
Posts: 1796
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:50 pm
Location: Greater Atlanta
Contact:

Re: STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Post by mrburnette » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:46 pm

mrmonteith wrote: <...>
I've got to wait a while before I can spend any more money on projects. I need to build what I have for now I guess.
:o
Yeek! Sounds like the spousal auditor made a visit to your man cave (Ham Shack in your case!)

Ray

User avatar
mrmonteith
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:11 pm
Location: Greenville, North Carolina
Contact:

Re: STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Post by mrmonteith » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:20 pm

mrburnette wrote: :o
Yeek! Sounds like the spousal auditor made a visit to your man cave (Ham Shack in your case!)

Ray
Actually self-audit. Had several unexpected bills and then kids got caught in snow storm and needed a motel room. So for now letting things get caught up. Does me good anyway. Maybe do something with what I already have. :oops:

Michael

User avatar
martinayotte
Posts: 1213
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Post by martinayotte » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:39 pm

About low volume pricing of the F405, I've purchased a lot of 5 on AliExpress for $27, free shipping.

Post Reply