STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Limited support for STM32F4 Discovery, Nucleo and custom F4 boards
mrburnette

Re: STM32F405 Teensy derivative

Postby mrburnette » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:03 pm

martinayotte wrote:About low volume pricing of the F405, I've purchased a lot of 5 on AliExpress for $27, free shipping.

Are you going to "spin" your own boards for production? What is your planned development strategy for IDE?

I can really see this as an interesting project - for those that really need that kind of horsepower.

I'm just "Joe Hobbyist" and while the lure is great, I cannot imagine my need. Now, for flight control systems or robotics, I can definitely see where something like this could go.

Ray

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:20 pm

For those who wish to get F405 PCB, I've found this one :

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/OCusvHxk

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:26 pm

mrburnette wrote:Are you going to "spin" your own boards for production? What is your planned development strategy for IDE?

Those chips were not ordered for personal project, but for my daily job, where I've replace previous LPC1768 design by the STM32F405.
A board with 8 relays, 8 sensors inputs, RS485, and bunch of other peripherals.
I'm already using IDE with all libraries I've tweaked those past months, most already submitted and merged by Roger.

mrburnette

Postby mrburnette » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:46 pm

martinayotte wrote:<...>
Those chips were not ordered for personal project, but for my daily job,

I miss working an being able to play in the lab with several million of dollars worth of toys! Alas, the downside to retirement and a significant reduction in toy funds :lol:

So, if you are using the F405 for work, do you have a public statement on the state-of-the F4 under ArduinoIDE ?

Ray

mrmonteith

Postby mrmonteith » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:19 pm

martinayotte wrote:For those who wish to get F405 PCB, I've found this one :

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/OCusvHxk

Would need to find a parts list. The one I posted had the BOM, schematic, and board files. Just need to output them and give them to OSHPark.
STM32F405 Stamp

Michael

onehorse

Postby onehorse » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:46 am

Well first of all I want to apologize if any of my comments about limited support seem disparaging to those on this forum; this was not my intent.

I have desperately wanted to use the STM32F4 and now L4 for at least two years but have been stymied by the difficulty of learning how to use the simplest non-Arduino toolchains including attempts with Keil, Crossworks, Eclipse and mbed. I got furthest with mbed and was able to translate a few of my Teensiduino sketches and make use of the STM32F401 Nucleo board to read sensors and do simple sensor fusion.

I started designing a Teensy-like STM32L4 with the intent of using it in the same way but was happily surprised to receive an unsolicited offer to help from Thomas Roell, who has been working to write from existing code and scratch an Arduino overlay that will allow the STM32L4 (and F4 later) to be programmed over the USB cable with an Arduino IDE just like the teensy. The hardware design took quite a bit longer than I expected as is the software, but the hardware is essentially done. I am waiting on the final proof pcbs from OSH Park and then I will order a small build from China for additional testing and the start of regular sales at Tindie, where a few prototypes are listed mostly for advertisement.
The Arduino IDE is intended to support most if not all of the usual serial (SPI, I2C, UART, etc) libraries as well as a drag and drop file system for the use of the on-board 16 Mbyte QSPI flash.

I expect to use the Dragonfly for portable (wearable) applications and remote data logging. I have designed the board with large solder pads on the back so I can solder small add-on boards holding sensors or radios, etc. I only have one so far with the MPU9250 and BME280 which together with the 16 MByte QSPI flash and the low-power, battery operated nature of the Dragonfly will make a great remote environmental data logger.

I have programmed the Dragonflys I have assembled with dfu-util using precompiled binaries provided by Thomas. I am anxiously awaiting delivery of the first basic Arduino capability, which i expect at the end of April or so. Progress is slow since there is essentially only one person doing all of the detailed work to make sure USB works, etc. My hope is that after the basic capability is developed and made available, users will step up and make the device as useful as it can be. The latest design of the board is here: https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/xTPoZ2ID

and we plan to make the software open source as well.

I would be interested in any comments and/or suggestions for improvement. It's a very exciting project for me and I am looking forward to using the Dragonfly for all of my work.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:35 pm

I'm not sure how much feedback people will be able to give you, by just looking at a PCB, especially as the board is too small to have room for the component ID's or what they are.

I can't see a USB port on your design. Does it have one?

I'm not being deliberately negative, I'm just trying to be realistic, and.. I'm sure a small STM32F4 board would be useful to some people.

However I suspect that cost for you to produce this board may be an issue.
If your board is not less expensive than a Teensy, I suspect people will buy a Teensy instead, as Paul puts in a huge amount of time and effort into support and library writing etc to make the Teensy a very mature and stable product.

I know the F4 outperforms the MCU on the Teensy, but people looking for faster MCU's than the Teensy can now get the RPi Zero for $5 (when its actually available).

stevech

Postby stevech » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:33 am

Me too. I looked. But a schematic or some such is needed to know what this board, populated, can do, i.e., how much of the 405's capability is wired up, etc.

Some marginally valid opinions:

The RPi zero is great. But many Teensy users employ that Teensy 3x board for things that any RPi would be hard pressed to do, like driving video walls made of programmable strings of LEDs. I do feel that the majority of things done with the Teensy, and even AVRs, can be done on RPi. But not all.
And some people want the Teensy/Arduino libraries for external devices like the LED strings, LCDs of all kinds, the high rate sensors used as drift-less gyroscopes (MEMs), and so on. Plug and play, so long as you don't use incompatible libraries concurrently... this is the bane of Arduino/Teensyduino and user contributed libraries. But, it's a hobby.

Price: Teensys are so low cost I would not expect a few $ cheaper to swing the buyer away. If so, perhaps Maple would have gone bigger. Or the Atmel SAM based Arduino-alikes.

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:18 pm

RogerClark wrote:I can't see a USB port on your design. Does it have one?

If you look closely on the bottom side, there is one ...

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:20 pm

stevech wrote:But a schematic or some such is needed to know what this board, populated, can do, i.e., how much of the 405's capability is wired up, etc.

Yes, schematic would be nice to see what has been wired up...

Return to “STM32F4 Boards”