stm32duino core with System Workbench for bluepill

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
Rick Kimball

Re: Eclipse importable bluepill project

Postby Rick Kimball » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:06 pm

I think he is talking about this http://eclipse.baeyens.it/ ?
-rick

stevestrong

Postby stevestrong » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:51 pm

Rick, sorry, i didnt want to say that the other one is better, i just pointed as an alternative solution for not copying the sources.
I really appreciate your work.

Oh, and i also have the system workbench plugin, these 2 plugins seem to coexist peaceful :P
Last edited by stevestrong on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:36 am

Steve

Which one is your personal preference ?

stevestrong

Postby stevestrong » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:27 am

My preference is Eclipse C++ IDE for Arduino.
The reason: no file copy is needed, the user is flexible by choosing either Arduino IDE or Eclipse IDE without any additional effort.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:40 am

Thanks

umejopa

Postby umejopa » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:01 pm

How to set up the eclipse to work with chines ST-link V2 clone to and a stm32f103 to debugg ?
It work with the nucelo64 board with the st-link onboard

InvalidException

Postby InvalidException » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:00 pm

stevestrong wrote:My preference is Eclipse C++ IDE for Arduino.
The reason: no file copy is needed, the user is flexible by choosing either Arduino IDE or Eclipse IDE without any additional effort.

I have try with this plugin ( F1 nucleo from github on Neon.1) and works
https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardManagerFiles

Will try to make for BluePill json and try...maybe will work (or someone already tried????)

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:21 pm

There is a blue pill version but it has not been fully merged with the repo and there isnt a boards manager package for it ( and wont be for some tme)

robertkendrick

Postby robertkendrick » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi
Very interesting project (bluepill). I used your project files with the latest System Workbench (Nov 2016) and although it compiled and linked (after the utoa issue) the board (a jc66_coreboard) would not enumerate under USB ("device not recognised ....").
I thought this might be down to using fairly old ArduinoSTM32 bluepill files with the newer System Workbench so I created a new bluepill_2 directory structure using your existing bluepill layout and followed it exactly but using the lastest ArduioSTM32 files. This failed to build with two issues which I have now resolved:
1) The usual utoa
2) unresolved reference to _init

The 2nd issue turned out to be located in a startup file (start_c.c if I remember correctly). Your bluepill startup file had a dummy _init() {asm NOP} but mine, copied from lastest ArduinoSTM32, did not. My question is : Did you create this dummy _init function in the startup file OR was it always in the original ArduinoSTM32 files and has since been removed. If the latter do you know why it was removed ?

And finally, although your bluepill project successfully finds the openocd cfg file (jc66_coreboard.cfg) in the bluepill project directory mine does not. I've checked the file exists and in System Workbench I've selected "local script" and checked the name is correct but it always returns to "SCRIPT NOT FOUND". When I start openocd the error message displays the AC6-plugin-stboard-scripts directory and if I copy jc66_coreboard.cfg to this directory everything works as it should. But I can't get it to work from the local project directory.

What was the purpose of copying over the Platform.txt and Boards.txt files. Are not these redundant in System Workbench?

Anyway, great work, I'm indebted.

Rick Kimball

Postby Rick Kimball » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:27 pm

robertkendrick wrote:What was the purpose of copying over the Platform.txt and Boards.txt files. Are not these redundant in System Workbench?

I left them for reference to help me create the proper settings for the eclipse project, It provided me the include paths, along with the compiler, and linker flags.

robertkendrick wrote:Hi
... This failed to build with two issues which I have now resolved:
1) The usual utoa
2) unresolved reference to _init

So I'm guessing you are using the compiler from the Ac6 workbench not the way I had it setup? I had setup the project to override the PATH environment variable. I prepend the arduino gcc compiler path before the Ac6 stuff so it uses the same compiler as the platform.txt

$ grep arduino ~/bluepill/.cproject
<option id="fr.ac6.managedbuild.option.gnu.cross.path.1489606693" name="Path" superClass="fr.ac6.managedbuild.option.gnu.cross.path" value=".arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/4.8.3-2014q1/bin" valueType="string"/>

One of my expectations in using this is to be running linux. I'm not running windows so I don't know if that does the right thing for windows. But you want to go into: Properties/ C/C++ Build / Environment and check the PATH variable and make sure the arduino15 gcc bin directory is first.

robertkendrick wrote:The 2nd issue turned out to be located in a startup file (start_c.c if I remember correctly). Your bluepill startup file had a dummy _init() {asm NOP} but mine, copied from lastest ArduinoSTM32, did not. My question is : Did you create this dummy _init function in the startup file OR was it always in the original ArduinoSTM32 files and has since been removed. If the latter do you know why it was removed ?

Yes I did provide an _init() function. I was trying avoid using any of the gcc startup code. (See the next post to see more details about the _init() function) I haven't been keeping this code in sync with the latest github. The main purpose of this project was to show you can configure eclipse to compile the arudino stm32f1 core without using the Arduino plugin thing.

robertkendrick wrote:And finally, although your bluepill project successfully finds the openocd cfg file (jc66_coreboard.cfg) in the bluepill project directory mine does not.

You probably need to fiddle with the Debug settings, they aren't actually part of the project.

-rick
Last edited by Rick Kimball on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-rick

Return to “IDE's”