Do you know Maple IDE by LeafLabs? Is Anyone using it?

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
AnalogLamb

Do you know Maple IDE by LeafLabs? Is Anyone using it?

Post by AnalogLamb » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:28 am

From Leaflabs website, There is a Maple IDE, Please see here http://docs.leaflabs.com/docs.leaflabs.com/index.html.
but i find out a few persons use it. Most would like Arduinio IDE. I don't know why. So there are someone who can explain the reason.

And do you know maple IDE by Leaflabs? Is anyone using it?

Thanks
AnalogLamb.Com - STM32Duino for Everyone

TomaTLAB

Re: Do you know Maple IDE by LeafLabs? Is Anyone using it?

Post by TomaTLAB » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:37 am

It became dead and cold for a long time. :)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:03 am

When Leaflabs made the Maple, Arduino did not support ARM boards, so they modified the Arduino IDE (V0022) to make the Maple IDE

But, When Arduino.cc introduced V1.5 of the Arduino IDE they allowed "Third party cores" to be added.

So there was no longer a need have a special version of the Arduino IDE (the Maple IDE), you can just add boards either by adding files to the Arduino sketches hardware folder or now using the Boards Manager

I do not know of anyone who still uses the Maple IDE, because you can use the latest version of the IDE (1.6.9) which has many more features

AnalogLamb

Post by AnalogLamb » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:37 am

RogerClark wrote:When Leaflabs made the Maple, Arduino did not support ARM boards, so they modified the Arduino IDE (V0022) to make the Maple IDE

But, When Arduino.cc introduced V1.5 of the Arduino IDE they allowed "Third party cores" to be added.

So there was no longer a need have a special version of the Arduino IDE (the Maple IDE), you can just add boards either by adding files to the Arduino sketches hardware folder or now using the Boards Manager

I do not know of anyone who still uses the Maple IDE, because you can use the latest version of the IDE (1.6.9) which has many more features

Thank you very much. I got it.
AnalogLamb.Com - STM32Duino for Everyone

ag123

Post by ag123 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:05 pm

a rather old thread, but yup i'm using the plain old maple ide.
the 'platform' i'm using is linux. i'm not sure if maple ide would work well in windows or for that matter even work if at all especially for windows 7, 8, 10.

the usual 'excuses' or 'advantages' of running maple ide are:
1) simple - stm32 'maple' targetted
2) rather small
3) per (1) simple the binaries & setup is pretty much 'single purpose' i.e. stm32 maple, hence, it is also somewhat easier to debug the issues with / about the ide itself

i'm not sure if i've 'grown' out of it, but of course the arduino ide as of today is far more extensive & support much more boards than this 'single purpose' stm32 maple ide. but simple & minimalist is sometimes useful to 'get started' & to an extent reduce the complexities.
tend to use it for the 'simple' duino style projects, did that initial 'hello world blinker' from it

at the same time i'm meddling with eclipse, arduino ide etc for a more feature rich ide as an alternative. However,as i tend to work more in eclipse, i'm more in favor of extending my eclipse environment to do stm32 (duino) development more of a personal preference

i'm more inclined to migrate towards a 'makefile' style project, that'd be a 'detour' from this 'classic' duino style developments towards more conventional c, c++ style developments

i'd guess it is a very good thing that arduino 'platform' has abstracted micro-controller programming to setup() and loop() and a very neat set of functions to work on the mcu https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage, this really helped to get things started and for a beginner (me really :lol:) to *blink leds*. but the reality is that beyond setup() and loop() there are so many things related to stm32 itself, e.g. setting up clocks, clocking or disabling the gpios, reassign pins (gpios vs other functions) & usb, spi, uart, i2c itself that brings things 'beyond' the arduino abstraction

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:37 pm

maybe is useful for anyone: Arduino with Eclipse