Custom PCB with stm32

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
heretop

Custom PCB with stm32

Post by heretop »

Hi,

I want build my own stm32 PCB. Currently I am planning to use F401R or F411R. If I just follow the pinout config from stm32duino variant_generic.h and .cpp like (https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_C ... _generic.h). Will I be able to just solder the board and use st link to upload the program in arduino IDE just like the commercial board I bought (nucleo or blackpill)?

Thanks!
sheepdoll

Re: Custom PCB with stm32

Post by sheepdoll »

Yes you can.

I have made custom boards. ST provides gerbers for discovery and Nucleo, I used these as a starting basis with Ki-Cad.
I think there are some Ki-Cad *-pill layout projects as well. I downloaded some, but never made them.

I use an a ST link to program my boards. I keep meaning to write a boot loader (The coms on my board are Ethernet.) You can also use a Nucleo to program the prototype, but the ST link is more robust when working in the feild.

I hand soldered my first prototype board. The local makerspace has a reflow oven. Some of the components I used were 805 so the reflow worked much better. I also used a board house for a short run. For a one off hand soldering is possible. A good stereo microscope helps.

-julie
heretop

Post by heretop »

sheepdoll wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:55 pm Yes you can.

I have made custom boards. ST provides gerbers for discovery and Nucleo, I used these as a starting basis with Ki-Cad.
I think there are some Ki-Cad *-pill layout projects as well. I downloaded some, but never made them.

I use an a ST link to program my boards. I keep meaning to write a boot loader (The coms on my board are Ethernet.) You can also use a Nucleo to program the prototype, but the ST link is more robust when working in the feild.

I hand soldered my first prototype board. The local makerspace has a reflow oven. Some of the components I used were 805 so the reflow worked much better. I also used a board house for a short run. For a one off hand soldering is possible. A good stereo microscope helps.

-julie
Thanks you very much for all the suggestions! I do found the schematic for nucleo, but not the gerber, I will look it up. And I am planning to use smd assembly service from jlcpcb except the stm32 itself, should be not too expensive
sheepdoll

Post by sheepdoll »

The gerbers can be a bit tricky to find on the ST site which can be a bit overwhelming.
try searching for something like:
en.nucleo_144pins_gerber.zip
which contains the folder "MB1137 Rev B"

for the smaller chip use
en.nucleo_64pins_gerber.zip
MB1136-Rev.C

I have also clipped sections from the discovery board gerbers
en.stm32f429i-disco_gerber.zip
en.stm32f4discovery_gerber.zip

I mostly work with the stm32F4xx boards, I really like the Stm32F429 especially in the smaller package.

I noticed the other day that with the chip shortage, the unmounted chips are not available from the US domestic suppliers like mouser. I did notice that they still had some development boards in stock. I have swapped chips on the dev boards with ones of different ratings and the same footprint like swapping out a stm32F407vgt for a stm32F429vgt as I needed a larger memory space. There are straps and jumpers for the different peripheral examples.

Return to “General discussion”