Visual Micro - be warned

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
denanden

Visual Micro - be warned

Postby denanden » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:19 am

Visual Micro has a bug that breaks code that uses malloc() and free().

I spent a couple of nights trying to get the SD lib to work and finally I made a simple malloc() test sketch. It worked just fine then built and uploaded using Arduino.

Why the SD lib was written with malloc and free is beyond me, but the bug could also cause issues with other libraries.
After all, there are cases where it makes a lot of sense to allocate memory dynamically e.g. if the user doesn't (or shouldn't) know the size in advance.

I'm still very fond of VMicro as it gives you IntelliSense and many other advantages that come with MS Visual Studio.

simonf

Re: Visual Micro - be warned

Postby simonf » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:07 pm

denanden wrote:Visual Micro has a bug that breaks code that uses malloc() and free().

I spent a couple of nights trying to get the SD lib to work and finally I made a simple malloc() test sketch. It worked just fine then built and uploaded using Arduino.

I'm still very fond of VMicro as it gives you IntelliSense and many other advantages that come with MS Visual Studio.

Are you sure this is a VMicro problem? When I use it I also open the project in arduino and check the box "Use external editor". I SaveAll in VMicro & compile within Arduino IDE. I used to compile directly from Vmicro but during an update it broke and I haven't got round to fixing it (I installed arduino IDE to a different Location/drive and upgraded Vmicro @ the same time so don't know which broke it ).

denanden

Re: Visual Micro - be warned

Postby denanden » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:15 pm

simonf wrote:Are you sure this is a VMicro problem?

Yeah, it definitely looks like it.
Either VMicro itself or MS Visual Studio.
By the way, which version of Visual Studio are you using? I use 2013.

Return to “IDE's”