coocox ??????

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
Nutsy

coocox ??????

Postby Nutsy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:12 am

http://www.coocox.org/
This is a new one on me... A project turned up on Hackaday with some one building a custom devboard with a f103C8. They mentioned this IDE and that its built specifically for the our chips...

They also mentioned this place :p

Reading up on it. It looks good. It also looks like it has the chip timer/peripheral tool interface that STM made built in.

Just wondered if anyone else here knows about it, or tried it... Is it any good?

How hard/easy would it to be to transfer mine or anyones project over to it?

Im a little iffy on toolchains and such. Im assuming without your backend libraries everything would have to be scratch rebuilt using the hardware pin names and rebuild custom functions that you guys have made?

RogerClark

Re: coocox ??????

Postby RogerClark » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:50 am

@nutsy

I have used coocox ages ago, but I can't remember much about it.

If you want to use a different (more powerful) IDE. You are probably better off using Atollic True Studio or System Workbench for STM32 (Both of which, i think, are based on Eclipse), or you could try Visual Micro if you use WIndows and are willing to install Visual Studio (which is a massive install - several GB from what I recall)

True Studio and System workbench are both tailored for developers using the HAL or the Standard Peripheral Library, not an Arduino core. e.g. LibMaple, though its probably possible to set them up to compile Arduino code (if you have the time and inclination)

Ollie

Postby Ollie » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:35 pm

... and if you want very fast IDE, try EmBlocks. It is free and available at http://www.emblocks.org.

Just4Fun

Postby Just4Fun » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Nutsy wrote:http://www.coocox.org/
This is a new one on me... A project turned up on Hackaday with some one building a custom devboard with a f103C8. They mentioned this IDE and that its built specifically for the our chips...

They also mentioned this place :p

Perhaps it's me...? :lol:

Nutsy

Postby Nutsy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Yep you :p

Yea roger thought as much...

Am i right in saying the libmaple is a kinda translation layer for HAL? (as well as all the arudino library and bits...)

Sorry i really am just trying to understand a bit better how it all comes together...

Just4Fun

Postby Just4Fun » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:06 pm

I used coocox only for first testing... not very handy at all (a sort of nightmare for a beginner...)!!!

Roger it is definitely a lot more skilled than me about the best "real" IDE to use ;)

About libmaple it was a "sobstitute" of HAL for legal issues..... (at that time).

I remember all this was discussed here somewhere.....

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Just4Fun wrote:....

About libmaple it was a "sobstitute" of HAL for legal issues..... (at that time).

I remember all this was discussed here somewhere.....

Yes. Libmaple is an API developed by Leaflabs becuase at the time, all STM's APIs had non-distribution clauses in their licenses.

The STM HAL ( Hardware Abstraction Layer), which is basically an API, does not have that restructive license.

However it is quite bloated by conparison with libmaple.

On top of libmaple are the Arduino API calls and overall structure.

Programming directly with the HAL takes a lot more lines of code.

If you want to give it a try, the easiest thing to do is to download and install the STM32CubeMx and also Atollic True Studio, as the code generated by STM32CubeMx includes a True Studio project file.

But just confuguring the STM Cube to export code is an art in its self .

Return to “IDE's”