Still struggling with Eclipse, New issue on Page2, please help

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
Nutsy

Still struggling with Eclipse, New issue on Page2, please help

Postby Nutsy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi im trying to port my project to a new ide, eclipse with the arduino plugin installed, i followed the guide on the stm32 wiki but im still having trouble getting it to work.

the std c++ headers are missing, things like stdio.h and stdlib.h and when I try to compile I also get the error;

Code: Select all

Starting C++ compile
"/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -c -g -Os -DDEBUG_LEVEL=DEBUG_NONE -MMD -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_maple_mini -DVECT_TAB_ADDR=0x8002000 -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOB -DERROR_LED_PIN=1 -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=72000000L -DARDUINO=10609 -DARDUINO_MAPLE_MINI -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32F1   -DMCU_STM32F103CB -DSERIAL_USB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DMCU_STM32F103CB -DSERIAL_USB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ "-I/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/hardware/Arduino_STM32/STM32F1/system/libmaple" "-I/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/hardware/Arduino_STM32/STM32F1/system/libmaple/include" "-I/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/hardware/Arduino_STM32/STM32F1/system/libmaple/stm32f1/include"                              "-I/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/hardware/Arduino_STM32/STM32F1/system/libmaple/usb/stm32f1" "-I/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/hardware/Arduino_STM32/STM32F1/system/libmaple/usb/usb_lib"  -I"/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/hardware/Arduino_STM32/STM32F1/cores/maple" -I"/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/hardware/Arduino_STM32/STM32F1/variants/maple_mini" -I"/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/libraries/ArduinoThread" -I"/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/libraries/SwitecX25" -I"/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_NeoPixel" -MMD -MP -MF".ino.cpp.d" -MT".ino.cpp.o" -D__IN_ECLIPSE__=1 -x c++ "../.ino.cpp" -o ".ino.cpp.o"  -Wall
/bin/sh: /bin/arm-none-eabi-g++: No such file or directory

Any help please? :D
Last edited by Nutsy on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victor_pv

Re: Trying to port project to Eclipse, std headers missing and builder not found????

Postby victor_pv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:04 pm

I installed Eclipse with the Arduino plugin about a week ago. These are the steps I followed if I remember right:
1.- Downloaded the complete IDE from the plugin page, V4. The IDE+plugin is called Sloeber for some reason.
2. Extracted that to my C: drive, c:\eclipse or c:\sloeber, dont remember (you can use any folder name, but do not use any spaces in the path).
3. Opened it, and in preferences went to the Arduino section, and downloaded the SAM core, version 1.6.11 I believe. That downloads the C++ compiler.
4. Added the path to my libraries folder, and the path to the stm32duino core within the Arduino section in preferences. On both cases, use a path that does not include spaces.
5. Click Ok in preferences to apply those changes, and let it download the SAMD core, will take a few minutes.
6. Close the IDE and open it again, and I think that was it.

EDIT: From the last line in your post, I think you are missing the step of installed one of the SAM cores, since it can't find the compiler bin:
/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++
Last edited by victor_pv on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nutsy

Re: Trying to port project to Eclipse, std headers missing and builder not found????

Postby Nutsy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Im having a go at reinstalling now... ill follow what you did. Only im on mac :p

victor_pv

Postby victor_pv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:29 pm

Nutsy wrote:Im having a go at reinstalling now... ill follow what you did. Only im on mac :p

The only difference may be on the "no spaces" requirement, I'm not sure if that applies only to Windows or also to *nix versions.

Nutsy

Postby Nutsy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Well reinstalled and followed your steps... Yes before i did forget to install the sam and samd however... didnt forget this time, but still getting all the same errors :/

victor_pv

Postby victor_pv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:51 pm

Nutsy wrote:Well reinstalled and followed your steps... Yes before i did forget to install the sam and samd however... didnt forget this time, but still getting all the same errors :/

Exact same error saying it can't find /bin/.... g++?

In Windows the V4 plugin has a folder within it where it downloads the cores. I am not at home and can't check the name, but I think it was hardware/avr for the avr(included by default), and hardware/arm or sam for the SAM core, once it has downloaded it. Within that second one there should be a bin folder with the gcc bins. Check to make sure it's there.
Then in the eclipse IDE in the project properties there is a section with a whole big lot of variables. One of those is the base path for the compiler, that should point to /youreclipsefolder/hardware/arm or whatever corresponds to your folders. And to that the IDE should append /bin/....g++, which is the only part that shows in the error.
I first tried with an older version of the stm32duino core, and some variable gets imported from the platform file, and was messing up that paths.
On that computer I resolved that by editing something in the platform file. If it just edit the project properties, then I only resolved the issue for that single project.
But then I did a clean install in another computer with a fresh download of the core from roger's repo, and the variables all populated correctly, but only after downloading the SAMD core the arm gcc compiler was there.

Another thing, if you are trying to recompile a project created previously, the variables may be messed up already. Try to create a new project and test compiling.

Nutsy

Postby Nutsy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:49 pm

oh and im using v3, on account i cant download v4 for some reason

Nutsy

Postby Nutsy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:06 am

Weeehellllllllll! Got it working. mostly.

Got v4 standalone running... Forgot about macs security features blocking unrecognised developers....

Anyway, got the project loaded and all the libraries are detected and it builds :D
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

one last problem. I cant upload to the maple. I selected the coms port on the project properties.

If i do the build and upload, i get ;

Starting reset using DTR toggle process
Toggling DTR
Continuing to use /dev/cu.usbmodem1411
Ending reset

Launching/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/hardware/tools/win/maple_upload cu.usbmodem1411 2 1EAF:0003 /Users/Helen/Documents/EclipseWorkspace/HSpeedSpeedo/Release/HSpeedSpeedo.bin
Output:
failed to upload

So it looks like it tries to detect it.... So umm
Sorry its late and im tired im struggling to type :<

ANy ideas?

victor_pv

Postby victor_pv » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:13 am

Nutsy wrote:Weeehellllllllll! Got it working. mostly.

Got v4 standalone running... Forgot about macs security features blocking unrecognised developers....

Anyway, got the project loaded and all the libraries are detected and it builds :D
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

one last problem. I cant upload to the maple. I selected the coms port on the project properties.

If i do the build and upload, i get ;

Starting reset using DTR toggle process
Toggling DTR
Continuing to use /dev/cu.usbmodem1411
Ending reset

Launching/Users/Helen/Documents/Arduino/hardware/tools/win/maple_upload cu.usbmodem1411 2 1EAF:0003 /Users/Helen/Documents/EclipseWorkspace/HSpeedSpeedo/Release/HSpeedSpeedo.bin
Output:
failed to upload

So it looks like it tries to detect it.... So umm
Sorry its late and im tired im struggling to type :<

ANy ideas?

You may need to reset the board manually after the "ending reset" message. Other people with MAC may be able to help further on that, but I know that no matter the OS sometimes the board is either not reset at the right time, or the bootloader jumps to the user code too fast. When I upload on Windows almost every time I just go and press the reset button.

Nutsy

Postby Nutsy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Yeah cant do that in mac, resetting manually hides the serial port.

Return to “IDE's”