Still struggling with Eclipse, New issue on Page2, please help

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
Nutsy

Re: Trying to port project to Eclipse, std headers missing and builder not found????

Post by Nutsy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Just noticed, its trying to launch the wrong uploader... its trying to start a windows program not the mac one :/

Nutsy

Re: Still struggling with Eclipse, New issue on Page2, please help

Post by Nutsy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:56 pm

New Issue here

So I got it working for the most part. Maybe the hack by putting the tools macosx files in the win dir might be causing my issue... i dont know.

But I do have a new issue.

My project currently wont work on my maple mini IF I compile it from Eclipse. It compiles and works from Arduino.

Simple sketches like Blink compile and run from Eclipse fine... however I narrowed my problem down. If i upload a sketch that uses Neopixels it causes the board to die, if compiled from eclipse.

i have tried 2 different neopixel libraries, ANDnXOR and Rintins tweaked library. Both cause the same problem.

i have tried to install AVRdude for eclipse but ive struggled to get it to work or compile at all. Im using a Mac so... yeah fun.

So does anyone have any ideas? Compile and upload wise i would like to do what ever Roger has setup inside arduino to do... Im trying to use eclipse so I have better auto complete and project navigation as my projects getting rather large now. I just want to get this working.

Can anyone help?

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:13 am

Nutsy wrote:New Issue here

So I got it working for the most part. Maybe the hack by putting the tools macosx files in the win dir might be causing my issue... i dont know.

But I do have a new issue.

My project currently wont work on my maple mini IF I compile it from Eclipse. It compiles and works from Arduino.

Simple sketches like Blink compile and run from Eclipse fine... however I narrowed my problem down. If i upload a sketch that uses Neopixels it causes the board to die, if compiled from eclipse.

i have tried 2 different neopixel libraries, ANDnXOR and Rintins tweaked library. Both cause the same problem.

i have tried to install AVRdude for eclipse but ive struggled to get it to work or compile at all. Im using a Mac so... yeah fun.

So does anyone have any ideas? Compile and upload wise i would like to do what ever Roger has setup inside arduino to do... Im trying to use eclipse so I have better auto complete and project navigation as my projects getting rather large now. I just want to get this working.

Can anyone help?
Can you post the output messages from compiling on one and the other?
My wild guess is the eclipse one is failing to include something. I must say I have not tested uploading a sketch from Eclipse yet, will try to do soon. Perhaps I will face the same problem in Windows, which would point more to some configuration missing since they should be similar in Mac and Win.

michael_l

Post by michael_l » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:39 am

Going a bit off-topic here but I'm currently using Eclipse as IDE for editing and debugging. Project for Eclipse is created by Platformio. Platformio also knows how to compile the code but for some reason the flash files it produces don't seem to work for me currently. So I compile / upload with Arduino IDE. In eclipse I create an a debugging configuration that points to elf build file created for Arduino

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:28 am

You should try to extend the Eclipse project step by step.
Starting from the working LED blink example, just add consecutively more features, like Serial output, then SPI, then others.
This way you can narrow the issue, just saying that the board is "death" is a bit too broad.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:31 pm

Remember to bare in mind i am on a Mac... Eclipse for some reason was running as if I was on a windows machine, triggering the wrong system flag maybe. So i had to copy the Mac tools into the win folder inside rogers stm32duino core pack.
It might be simply getting eclipse to recognise im on a mac might fix everything, who knows. But this is a level of geekery im not qualified for :p I still feel there is a bit of dark arts involved in programming, a sacrificial virgin or something. Sadly im all out of virgins.

As I mentioned I narrowed down my issue to addressable led libraries. Both ANDnXOR and Rintins seem to crash the board when compiled through Eclipse.

I have not tried Neomaple, though i found I had trouble with that library previously so I didnt use that to test with... (oh yeah its because its tied to a single pin thats why i didnt use it)

This is the Strandtest example ...

This is the printout of the build console form Sloeber/Eclipse;
http://pastebin.com/Ecsm4QMe

And here is the same code using the strandtest example.
http://pastebin.com/vbYs59jj

Sorry they are posted on pastebin. I tried to paste them here with code tags but the message size was monstrously high and the forum blocked it.
Both compile, eclipse doesnt fail the build... So I really dont know what to look out for.

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:17 pm

Narrowing down to a lib is too course.
I meant consecutively adding code line by line, not lib by lib having 100s lines of code...

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:16 pm

I cant narrow it down any further than this... I mean. I dont know how to deconstruct a library such as this. There are simple too many components to it that I dont understand.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:49 pm

Nutsy wrote:I cant narrow it down any further than this... I mean. I dont know how to deconstruct a library such as this. There are simple too many components to it that I dont understand.
It seems like something is being left out cause both RAM and Flash usage is much lower in eclipse, unless I am reading something wrong.
Can you post the .map files from both, at least the .text section? that may help spot what's missing.
Last edited by victor_pv on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:03 pm

ohh i havent checked that... But good point. i scrolled through it. but still I dont know whats missing :(