Still struggling with Eclipse, New issue on Page2, please help

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
stevestrong

Re: Still struggling with Eclipse, New issue on Page2, please help

Post by stevestrong » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:12 pm

If symbols cannot be resolved, Eclipse should not build at all...

I remember, after I wrote the wiki entry how to setup Eclipse for Arduino_STM32, I had serious issues with Eclipse (just like yours, and also more severe...), that's why I finally abandoned using it...

I don't know whether it is the Arduino plugin which brings Eclipse out of business, but these kind of issues are really annoying.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Yeah I would have thought so too re symbols. While in writing it calls it a bug it still builds ok. And as I said blink works...

I dont want to abandon eclipse though. I like its interface. And I really do need its navigation and bug management (when working) I just want it to actually work.

I really didnt like platformIO, far too much didnt work propperly at all, couldnt even get it to build properly.

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:56 pm

I didnt tried yet but someone said EmBlitz should be an alternative.

sheepdoll

Post by sheepdoll » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:37 pm

stevestrong wrote:If symbols cannot be resolved, Eclipse should not build at all...

I remember, after I wrote the wiki entry how to setup Eclipse for Arduino_STM32, I had serious issues with Eclipse (just like yours, and also more severe...), that's why I finally abandoned using it...

I don't know whether it is the Arduino plugin which brings Eclipse out of business, but these kind of issues are really annoying.
Eclipse keeps a second copy of the project. That is the one it does the pre flight code check analysis on. Personally I think this is a major flaw as one can not simply add files to the project by copy.

I have not attempted the Arduino plugin. I took to using makefiles using the postscript I posted to my git recently. When Eclipse imports the makefile it creates its own workspace copy.

I also played about with the AC6 System Workbench. The cube tool creates a .cproject and .project in the SW4STM32 folder under a sub folder with the same name as the cube .ioc file. There is also a .cproject that is peer in the same folder to the .ioc. When using System Workbench, one does not use these files directly. Instead they are a set of rules written in XML that tell the Eclipse importer how to build the workspace copy .project and .cproject. This results in many copies of .cproject and .project in a lot of different places, with the active versions in the eclipse workspace directory.

The Eclipse workspace copy is git enabled. It looks like the workflow is to use the built in SVC to manage the project. Without using SVC it becomes a lot of work to trace where the files and paths used really are. Eclipse seems to be designed to develop one monolithic project rather than dozens of smaller independent projects that are not related to each other.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Nutsy,

Just wanted to let you know today I tested compiling and uploading my i2s test sketch. It compiled and run fine.
Uploading gave me some trouble, it would just not even try. After scratching my head and testing a few things I found out it was because I was not selecting any COM port when selecting the upload method.
Even though the COM port is only used to reset the board, and I can do that with the button, the dfu uploader expects to be passed some com port parameter, even if a wrong one.

But as far as the bin, works fine. The only warnings I got where about some functions not using all their passed parameters, and some dma functions being deprecated.

As I test more things in Eclipse I'll update if I find anything wrong.
I think eclipse and a good debugger is a great combination.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:46 pm

I have no trouble uploading from eclipse in sloeber... thats not my issue.
My issue is that the compiled program doesnt work, if im using an led library... I assume it gets upset but doesnt tell you its upset.

Its amazing, arduino IDE is too simplified that doing real hard work with it... Is really hard work... But eclipse is way on the other end. That its sooooo full of options all over the place. Its actually near impossible to find whats breaking the thing. Typical Open source tosh >.> J.k

Wouldnt it be nice if things just worked with minimal configuration. Sure I get you have to tell it where libraries are... Nothing wrong with that. Just wish it worked.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:16 pm

Nutsy wrote:I have no trouble uploading from eclipse in sloeber... thats not my issue.
My issue is that the compiled program doesnt work, if im using an led library... I assume it gets upset but doesnt tell you its upset.

Its amazing, arduino IDE is too simplified that doing real hard work with it... Is really hard work... But eclipse is way on the other end. That its sooooo full of options all over the place. Its actually near impossible to find whats breaking the thing. Typical Open source tosh >.> J.k

Wouldnt it be nice if things just worked with minimal configuration. Sure I get you have to tell it where libraries are... Nothing wrong with that. Just wish it worked.
Well, Arduino works with minimal configuration ;)
As far as the compilation, as I said mine did work fine, and I checked all the warnings and errors I got and were all just warnings on some deprecated functions, and on functions not using all their parameters.

I plan to test a few more things in the next few days and will see if more complicated sketches also work or not.

EDIT:
Just went thru the pastebin you linked before again, to see if something called my attention. This may be unrelated, but I dont remeber seeing it in my build:

Code: Select all

/Applications/cpp-neon/sloeber.app/Contents/Eclipse/arduinoPlugin/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/4.8.3-2014q1/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.3/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/libnosys.a(sbrk.o): In function `_sbrk':
sbrk.c:(.text._sbrk+0x30): warning: undefined reference to `end'

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:27 am

what is the
1. target ?
2. arduino version ?
3 os ?
4. platform ?

not understanding why there are stm32f1 and seemingly stm32f7(arm-7(??) ) flags declared ?

stephen

<EDIT> seems the ld file uses this, so can you add your ld file to the above ?
</EDIT>
Last edited by zmemw16 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:28 am

victor_pv wrote:
Nutsy wrote:I have no trouble uploading from eclipse in sloeber... thats not my issue.

Well, Arduino works with minimal configuration ;)
As far as the compilation, as I said mine did work fine, and I checked all the warnings and errors I got and were all just warnings on some deprecated functions, and on functions not using all their parameters.

I plan to test a few more things in the next few days and will see if more complicated sketches also work or not.

EDIT:
Just went thru the pastebin you linked before again, to see if something called my attention. This may be unrelated, but I dont remeber seeing it in my build:

Code: Select all

/Applications/cpp-neon/sloeber.app/Contents/Eclipse/arduinoPlugin/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/4.8.3-2014q1/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.3/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/libnosys.a(sbrk.o): In function `_sbrk':
sbrk.c:(.text._sbrk+0x30): warning: undefined reference to `end'
EDIT2:

Actually this may be related to your problems. Found two links with similar errors:
https://community.nxp.com/thread/382166

https://e2e.ti.com/support/development_ ... 1/t/382293

Seems like it has to do with the linker script. Can you post the informatio Stephen is asking in the post bellow? may help find the issue.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:16 pm

zmemw16 wrote:what is the
1. target ?
2. arduino version ?
3 os ?
4. platform ?

not understanding why there are stm32f1 and seemingly stm32f7(arm-7(??) ) flags declared ?

stephen

<EDIT> seems the ld file uses this, so can you add your ld file to the above ?
</EDIT>
Tagets baite Maple Mini stm32f103cb
Arduino 1.8.1
MacOSX Was Elcapitan now Sierra
Platform?