Getting Eclipse to work? A proper guide?

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
Nutsy

Getting Eclipse to work? A proper guide?

Post by Nutsy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Right im pulling my hair out trying to get Eclipse to work...

Ive followed the guide in the wiki and that no longer works... My trouble when i upgraded from neon to oxygen...

I get all sorts of strange random errors from boards not loading to core folders not listing everything in the core.

heck even get unresolved or undeclared errors with data types like uint32_t...

I have tried so many times to get this working liturally spent the last couple of weeks.

Ive uninstalled eclipse and reinstalled and reinstalled sloeber and cdt and still Nothing.

So for macs windows anything is can I please have a working fool proof guide to getting it to work?

stevestrong

Re: Getting Eclipse to work? A proper guide?

Post by stevestrong » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:37 pm

Don't upgrade to oxygen only use neon 3.

I would recommend to use PlatformIO, then export project to Eclipse. It works.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:35 am

ahh so it is the oxygen version thats causing the faults...
It really has been causing so much headache for me...

minime

Post by minime » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:56 am

no hair left in my goatee , will you share how you did it in detaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaails please.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:29 am

... am I the only one that realizes that the Forum name, "Arduino for STM32" really means:

ArduinoIDE for STM32 ???

It's not like I do not understand the benefits of using Eclipse, but unless you are very familiar with the product, it is like taking a stroll through a field of poison ivy naked :cry:

Ray

minime

Post by minime » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:48 am

sloeber added well configured plugin for arduino star otto and can see all the attached arm libraries in the explorer section , i thought it is just going to be a matter of time till arduino , st or most probably arduino for stm32 to bridge over their official repo, for the last 4 weeks i always fix my code with
every update , maybe if there is away to use otto stm32f4 resources maybe things will be much easier, i do understand the beauty of having arduino coding syntax over complicated st time consuming algorithms. and yes i will have no hair left in my body trying to catch all the tricks and tips just to make this work on stm32f4, yes it is a great and appreciated effort no doubt about that. arduino.org with st may have started new business away from atmel still days will tell how far ST will take newly configured IDE to win this makers wave.

ChrisMicro

Post by ChrisMicro » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:20 am

It might be a little be off-topic but I like to mention my ArduinoOnPc emulation for linux in Eclipse.
After I installed "Sloeber" it did not compile correctly any more.

Pito

Post by Pito » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 am

I've been working with Eclipse (Sloeber) since March, and I am happy. I have not touched Arduino IDE since then.
There is a lot of topics I posted on it with very details.
Everything works on a few clicks, switching between about 6 core repositories by 5 clicks, having about 60 projects, building/compiling everyday for Roger's and Daniel's core repos in their several versions, for F103 and F407 (to switch between mcus and the core used takes about 5-8 clicks based on config options, all config options are taken over by Sloeber from respective boards.txt), no problem. Uploading via ..duino bootloader or via j-Link, debugging via J-link. To build and upload takes 1 click (in j-link as well bootloader version).
Plus you will get a professional Eclipse editing environment.
Of course, you have to invest some time to configure it and to learn the right clicks under specific situations.. Do not expect you will be as fast as with Arduino IDE with your lead-in..
Thumbs up..
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:42 am

well back on Neon3 as of yesterday and its till not perfect but i can at least code again...

I still have the issue with custom function calls throwing faulse errors about the call... But i do a index rebuild and it works again for a while... If i ass several more functions or details it looses it again and i have to index rebuild again...

And i still cant do a build from eclipse, though for now I dont mind using the arduino ide for the actual building.

And yes eclipse with all its faults and over complicated jack of all trades approach in its settings, i really love the layout and working environment, the code auto complete, the library including folder struct on the left and the defines and function lists on the right...it all makes navigating around a large project like my speedo really a lot easier.

I just wish I could lock down whats causing this little niggling faults.

Pito

Post by Pito » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:51 am

1. Sometimes you have to do a cleanup of the list of includes. In Project -> Properties -> c/c++ Build -> Settings -> Tool Settings -> Include Folders there is a list of used Includes paths for each of the c/cpp/assembler - you have to delete the unused ones and reindex. It usually happens when you copy/paste a project and you use different libs/includes. It adds the new ones to the old ones instead of removing the old ones.

2. Also mind the platform.txt for F4 of Roger's libmapble needs a small fix in order to get it working with Sloeber.
Remove this from "## Combine gc-sections, archives, and objects" recipe

Code: Select all

--whole-archive "{build.path}/{archive_file}" -Wl,--no-whole-archive
3. Another important point is to name your included files mycode.cpp (not mycode.c) otherwise your functions inside will not be recognized.

4. Put "Arduino.h" as the first include in your .ino file, otherwise the arduino functions will be highlighted as not recognized (but they will compile).

5. The Sloeber handles libraries a bit different to Arduino IDE. For example with #include "mylib.h" Sloeber takes the name "mylib.h", cuts off the .h and seeks the folder "mylib" - that will be the folder/path used.
Last edited by Pito on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.