Which IDE for "Serious" development

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
kostbill

Which IDE for "Serious" development

Post by kostbill » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:59 am

Guys you seem to be experienced programmers, what IDE do you use? Arduino is way too poor to be used in serious development.

zmemw16

Re: Which IDE for "Serious" development

Post by zmemw16 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:28 am

someone is going to say emacs, xemacs, vi, vim or eclipse with a vim plug-in, please, please, please don't :!: :o
but i spotted on github, an eclipse vim plug-in, really?
srp

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:49 am

If you are doing "Serious" development, then you should probably not use the Arduino API at all.

Use Atollic True Studio, and STM's own HAL for development, by generating your projects using the STM Cube.

True Studio is basically another re-skinned version of Eclipse, like Sloeber is, except its a commercial package with a "free" tier which does enough for most people.

Edit.

I should also have mentioned the commercial programs like Keil and IAR, however both of these cost $$$ and are IMHO no better than using a well setup version of Eclipse (which is what True Studio is).

There is also Segger Embeeded Studio, but again its just a customised version of Eclipse and if you are not using it purely for "evaluation" it will cost you around $1000

kostbill

Post by kostbill » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 am

RogerClark wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:49 am
If you are doing "Serious" development, then you should probably not use the Arduino API at all.
But then, unless you can find your libraries elsewhere, you will have to migrate them or re-write them.
And from what I can see, this can be cumbersome.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:43 am

kostbill wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 am
But then, unless you can find your libraries elsewhere, you will have to migrate them or re-write them.
And from what I can see, this can be cumbersome.
I often have to port libraries to various platforms, that's par for the course when developing code.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:48 am

what have we learnt?

user, libraries, system, i expect my code to fail, libraries to fail in unexpected ways and system stuff rarely.
i sort of assumed that the system parts were correct as well. we need a bite me in *** smilely

not quite sure why or how, but do we just lump the total library in and let the linker take want it wants ?
was it a fail in trying to be aggressive in the linking ?
in handling the warning/error messages?
can the visibility of such messages be increased ?

a missing symbol is an error rather than a warning?
i've seen the missing __end in the compile/link messages, i use 'most' most of the time, 'all' if i've an issue and
now i know what to look for as well.

i did notice there was a small code change to avoid a missing symbol e.g. end/__end
and how to fix such things

there was a lot of posts about the software configuration, massive permutations and defining it down to a workable 'set'.
normally it's reproduce the issue using an as small as possible example, for this not sure how you could do that.

stephen

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:39 pm

The quality of third party libraries is always highly variable.

Even the Adafruit libs seems vary in quality quite a lot. I don't know if Limor write them all, but the coding style seems to be different when you look at different libraries in the Adafruit repo. So I suspect although they seem to have header blocks saying she wrote them, I'm not totally convinced.