STM acquires Atollic

Post by victor_pv » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Just read this now, STM acquires Atollic:
http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/abo ... c2839.html

Rick Kimball

Re: STM acquires Atollic

Post by Rick Kimball » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:52 pm

I like this part:

Michel Buffa, Microcontroller Division General Manager, STMicroelectronics. “That position, and working closely with Atollic for many years as a top Gold Partner, has shown us the professional features and value TrueSTUDIO has delivered to demanding developers and will soon give STM32 developers a major competitive advantage with the availability of the STM32 TrueSTUDIO IDE for free.”
-rick

Just4Fun

Post by Just4Fun » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Christmas Gift... ? :lol:

I've never used it, but I think that now it's a good "investment" starting to study it... :mrgreen:

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:30 pm

i followed the free and unregistered links, followed a couple of routes in to pull the linux version.
both require name, country, an email and a few minor details.
usual disclaimer for details usage is displayed.
stephen

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:12 pm

I thought True Studio was already free.

Perhaps it wasn’t free for commercial use.

On a similar vein, Segger now allow their Embedded Studio IDE, to be used by Nordic Semi users, completely free, even for commericial. I imagine this will start to hurt Kiel

sheepdoll

Post by sheepdoll » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 pm

I gave a lecture last week at ESC (Embedded systems conference.) It was combined with a biotech conference as none of the foundries were there this year. (Intel was promoting Alexa, and I never did get to the Renascence(Hitachi) booth.)
Most of the Booths on the ESC side were promoting "security solutions." Others were showing off cloud based data storage systems. Only IAR was there. No Keil, No segger, No Green Mountain.

It could be that Design Con is in January, Arm Tech con and PCB west were a few months back.

On the Bio med side it was mostly injection molding companies and metal stampers. All looking for big fat contracts.

The lectures, however, were quite good. One of the keynotes was essentially on "Uploading" showing how robots neral nets were programmed from scans of a worm, The robot took on the behavior of the worm without training. A more sophisticated robot behaved like a small animal, although that one was trained.

My own talk was on the last hour of the last day, and followed the popular "Mars ate my spacecraft." So it was sparsely attended. My topic was "Upgrading Legacy systems." Where I showed an 8051 project I converted to the Arduino IDE so it could be connected to IoT. I brought my small pipe organ which attracted some attention. Even I had to leave immediate following my talk.

Guess I was right when I joked that the companies I was most interested in seeing "were too busy acquiring each other."

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:07 pm

sheepdoll wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 pm
Guess I was right when I joked that the companies I was most interested in seeing "were too busy acquiring each other."
Yep. acquisitions seem to be flavour of the month.

Just like Autodesk bought Eagle (and ruined it for everyone by changing the license and requiring a login to use it)

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:18 pm

RogerClark wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:12 pm

On a similar vein, Segger now allow their Embedded Studio IDE, to be used by Nordic Semi users, completely free, even for commericial. I imagine this will start to hurt Kiel
they're showing an Arm version and linux64 ! nothing regarding a Nordic limitation.

<OT> istr that udev uses its rule files in alphabetic sequence and exits its search on first match, correct ?
<OT> Atollic: fired ide up and clicked Welcome, got a message about MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME not being set.
anyone remember when they last used mozilla by typing mozilla<ret> ? :lol:
curiously firefox still stores its config in dot mozilla dot firefox

stephen

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 pm

The license on Segger Embedded Studio was a bit vague

I went to a Nordic Semi, one say seminar, earlier this year, and at that time Nordic told the audience that they could use Segger Embedded Studio to do all but the final build, as that it was OK with Seggers license to do all the dev with it, but not to actually release a product.
They said that the final build could be done using gcc and a Makefile

However when I queried this with the Nordic support forum, it became clear that this was true, and the license only allowed "evaluation" of Segger Embedded Studio (for free).

But Nordic seem to have come to an agreement with Segger, as there is now a popup which you have to agree to only use it for Nordic products (nRF51 and nRF52), in which case its fine for commercial use.

I suspect the use of Segger Embedded Studio for other devices e.g. STM is subject to the "evaluation" clause in the license, but that Segger don't make it very clear... As its not limited in any way (unlike Keil, which has a 32k binary file size limit on their evaluation version)

I've no idea what will happen to Keil or IAR.

IAR seem to have a niche with processors based on the 8051, as there doesnt seem to be a version of GCC which supports these 8 bit processors

ag123

Post by ag123 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:16 am

sheepdoll wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 pm
My own talk was on the last hour of the last day, and followed the popular "Mars ate my spacecraft." So it was sparsely attended. My topic was "Upgrading Legacy systems." Where I showed an 8051 project I converted to the Arduino IDE so it could be connected to IoT. I brought my small pipe organ which attracted some attention. Even I had to leave immediate following my talk.
perhaps the class would be filled with attendees running out of seats if the topic been changed to "IOT:Arduino on 8051" :lol: