STM acquires Atollic

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
sheepdoll

Re: STM acquires Atollic

Post by sheepdoll » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:39 am

ag123 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:16 am
perhaps the class would be filled with attendees running out of seats if the topic been changed to "IOT:Arduino on 8051" :lol:
I recall that there was an 8051 GCC, back when I was programming 8051 17 or so years ago. Actually I looked it up, it was called SDCC. The code was not too efficient and we went with the Kiel system as it supported the ST PSD that contained flash and SRAM.

It did not help that the ST PSDs were already pretty much EOL by the time I inherited the project. Ironically Some of the flash chips used to store the programs on were made by Atmel.

Supposedly the costs are cheaper to use the 8051, However the BOM on these boards is about 35USD compared to around 5USD for the mega328 version using off the shelf SD cards for the flash.

ag123

Post by ag123 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:17 am

actually 8051 (clones) is still loitering around as (rather) cheap *bluetooth LE* dongles :lol:
http://www.ti.com/product/CC2541
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cc2541&_sacat=0

and incidentally as well a new fad for sdcc seem to be the stm8s-duino, it seem pretty hot here :)
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2682#p35538

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:28 pm

ag123 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:17 am
actually 8051 (clones) is still loitering around as (rather) cheap *bluetooth LE* dongles :lol:
http://www.ti.com/product/CC2541
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cc2541&_sacat=0

and incidentally as well a new fad for sdcc seem to be the stm8s-duino, it seem pretty hot here :)
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2682#p35538
I noticed TI use the 8051 in the CC2540 and CC2541, and presumed that use of the 8051 Inside custom MCUs was probably quite common.

The problem with the CC254x BLE MCUs is that TI only released their BLE libraries in binary form, for the IAR compiler
So it’s not possible to build using any other compiler, and as IAR costs $$$.

So the small companies I know that we’re getting into BLE devices, went for the Nordic nRF5x devices instead, as Nordic support Gcc, as well as IAR and Kiel toolchains.

I have not looked at the state of play at Nordic for several months, but as Segger Embedde Studio, is now totally free for Nordic Semi nRF5x users, I susoect that Nordic may move their focus so that SES may become their primary supported IDE, rather Kiel.
IAR was seldom used by anyone posting to the Nordic community forms.

ag123

Post by ag123 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:37 am

agreed the cc254x is pretty much a propriety bluetooth le stack from ti and that ti basically designed the cc2541 based on a 8051 cpu core.
i doubt there would be much room for user codes even if we choose to add things in cc2541

and yup the Nordics bluetooth le soc e.g. nrf51822 is pretty much a better choice among which at least Nordic provided a 'soft bluetooth stack' which may be integrated with user codes.

i think ti do have competitive products such as cc2640 that is arm cortex m3 based but it seemed they are pricier compared to say nrf51822 based on the module prices sold on ebay.

it seemed that the manufacturers are increasingly bundling an ide for developers as a competitive strategy

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:11 pm

After reading this announcement, I downloaded the "Lite" version of TrueStudio to get an idea what it includes. In lightning speed, I got a followup email from one of their sales people. I sent him a response and asked what they are actually going to offer for free for the STM32 platform. Here is the response I received:

"Rick,

Future releases of TrueSTUDIO will be STM32-centric. In those releases there will be no distinction between Lite and Pro. The released version will be free for all STM32 developers.

Hope this helps."
-rick

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 pm

I just checked the details between the Lite and Pro version, and it seems to be enhanced debugger support ( probably tools they have written to analyse the data from GDB

From what ai can remember, the Lite version has a fully functional debug system, e.g. all the normal debug features, lile variable inspection, strack track, breakpoints.
So I dont know if having access to the Pro features would make any difference for 99% of the time.

I have not checked the full licence legalese, but the headline bullet points seem to suggest there were no restrictions for commercial use.

dannyf

Post by dannyf » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:37 pm

I haven't used atolkics ide. I would suspect that post the acquisition it's support for non-st chips would be limited. So maybe time to download a copy now.

Personally I'm a huge fan of coide - I thought it's project setup is top notch. Keil attempted to copy it via rte but didn't get it done right - I'm still running 4.7 because of rte in 5.x

Only if st had acquired coide.

On the flip side seggers ide is top notch, if a little bit unconventional.

dannyf

Post by dannyf » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:43 pm

On the topic of Arduino on 8051. It is totally doable - trivial to do actually.

The question is which chips to do it on, as there are simply too many different 8051 chips.

michael_l

Post by michael_l » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Seems the TrueStudio download is available ?

https://atollic.com/resources/download/

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:59 pm

I had tried out the 8.1 lite version before and ran into all kinds of hiccups. In fact I never even finished the install. With this latest version 9.0, all the license crap is gone. Installation was a breeze and it just ran without hassle. For the linux version they suggest Ubunut 16.04 LTS, which just happens to be the version I run.

I wonder what this will mean for the long term for the Ac6 effort (System Workbench for STM32) ?
-rick