Atollic and other IDEs

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
stevech

Atollic and other IDEs

Post by stevech » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:47 am

Atollic's IDE/Compiler is Eclipse + GCC. Until lately, it's not been free.
Now there's a "lite" version that is free. The lite version seems complete enough for most users.

http://timor.atollic.com/

I tried Atollic's IDE many months ago. I admit bias from a year on a project suffering Eclipse. So Atollic's True Studio might be OK for some folks.

Probably less hassle to install than is Eclipse + GCC from the open software/Github places.

If you can cope with it, the 32KB size-limited (code, not data) IDE/Compilers from IAR and Keil are free for non-commercial.

But I don't think any of the above are readily usable with an Arduino library suite. All of the above can be target IDEs for ST's CubeMX and the ST HAL libraries which are far more extensive than is found in Arduinoland.

RogerClark

Re: Atollic and other IDEs

Post by RogerClark » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:48 am

Thanks @stevech

I'm not sure I'll have the time to install it. But its good to know it exists..

madias

Post by madias » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:23 am

Time saver for Linux/OSX user: Atollic is Windows only.

stevech

Post by stevech » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Freedom of choice!
I'm no windows bigot, and have a Linux boot disk on this computer (Mint), occasional user of OSX, and used Sun OS for years on the job.

However, the OS most vendors target with the best development tools and support is driven by this:
http://time.com/3975115/microsoft-windows-10-share/

opinion alert:
I make a good living doing embedded firmware. I like using dev tools, rather than spending lots of non-billable time struggling to build or adapt tools.
But, a hobbyist may well have other preferences!

<grin>

sheepdoll

Post by sheepdoll » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:58 pm

stevech wrote:Freedom of choice!
I'm no windows bigot, and have a Linux boot disk on this computer (Mint), occasional user of OSX, and used Sun OS for years on the job.

However, the OS most vendors target with the best development tools and support is driven by this:

opinion alert:
I make a good living doing embedded firmware. I like using dev tools, rather than spending lots of non-billable time struggling to build or adapt tools.

<grin>
It took the Titanic a long time to slow down. Had they not turned and hit the iceburg full on the ship would have survived. By turning slowly they hit with a glancing blow, and the destruction was total. That pie chart is like a signal flare saying look at us, we once dominated and if everyone upgrades to win 10 spyware we will dominate again.

I still use windows a lot. Will be using it today. That is windows XP with full DOS support Offline and probably no longer tracked by data mining. The people who wrote these dos/visual basic apps are dead. There is no upgrade path other than to scrap the tools completely or else to reverse engineer them and port them. This now is like hitting a moving target. As soon as I learn something like XML it is outdated with Python or Perl or the latest code thingy of the week. The latter is part of the "Build or adapt tools." So I and many others tend to use what works.

I currently do not have the time to adapt and get work done (Or I would be using Eclipse/HAL/CubeMx.) In the mean time Arduino IDE is a great place to start. A good entry point. None of this is a megalithic one size fits all.

I could rant about Atmel AVR studio. I really liked studio 4. I use it almost everyday. I can not stand studio 6 and the requirements for .NET, information tracking and data mining. The constant need to call home. The big pipe organ does now run under windows 7. There is always a pop up message window indicating that it needs to call home. Confuses the people who want to simply play the instrument. Oops I am digressing This was supposed to be a rant about AVR studio 6. Which now has so many options It is unusable, and does not really support my old debug hardware.

Good that you have clients that pay through the nose so you can use expensive tools Like Kiel or IAR. My clients tell me "You went to college, what do you need that for?" In other words they expect me to create the solutions out of thin air, by reading their mind. That the only tools I need to solve problems is a pencil and paper.

These forums are for Ardiuno IDE and STM32F1xx. It is a way one can have a lifeboat to escape the sinking Titanic.

:twisted: :evil: :grin:

ahull

Post by ahull » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:40 pm

stevech wrote:Freedom of choice!

opinion alert:

<grin>
The other interesting thing about those two pie charts, is that Linux in the form of Android absolutely dominates the mobile OS market. It seems that Windows may well occupy 90% of desktops, but it is a bit player in the mobile market. Mobile will (has?) take over from Desktop, so the Titanic esque "Gatesian Empire" may also be sunk by steaming in the wrong direction.
- Andy Hull -

madias

Post by madias » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Ui Ui!
I didn't wanted to start an OS war :) I'm using mainly OSX, so I'm searching for every OSX related tool for my macbook without starting Parallels.
Meanwhile I do all my 3d printing stuff on windows only, because the majority of software is bad to worse on OSX (repetier host (OSX version miles away from windows version), 123d-design (crashes on OSX), even cura) so the most of MCU world (IDE, compiler) is basically windows related. (I think this is a point where Arduino IDE hit the target with supporting all OS's without compromise)

stevech

Post by stevech » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:51 am

To be OS agnostic/agile, and use no VM, then Eclipse + GCC is about it.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:13 am

just got cubemx, openocd and eclipse, both luna and mars1 playing nice just by following a guide
pleasantly surprised how easy.

only hiccup, they say don't put the arm tools directory in the path, bmp make stopped working - no arm-none-eabi-gcc found

stephen

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:03 am

I finally got around to installing Atollic TrueStudio (Windows) the other day, and it seems to work well.

As far as I can tell, its just a custom build of Eclipse, but they have taken the hard work out of things by bundling the STLink support within TrueStudio.

When and if I get time, I'll try to make a project to build using the libmaple core, as it would very handy to be able to debug using STLink, and this is something that the Arduino IDE is sorely lacking at the moment (and neither Arduino.cc or Arduino.org seem to have in circuit debugging as a priority).

So for Windows users, I'd say its definitely worth trying, if you have a ST-Link adaptor.