Platformio

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
JoaoLopesF

Platformio

Postby JoaoLopesF » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:06 am

Hi,

Someone use the Platformio for STM32Duino ?
Is a good platform for various type of boards.
The website ist http://platformio.org/
It is fast and have a plugin for atom editor,
with auto-complete code for arduino (another plugin).
I use it in MacOSX and works very well, better than poor Arduino IDE

Regards

Joao Lopes

RogerClark

Re: Platformio

Postby RogerClark » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:57 pm

very interesting

Thanks for the link.

I think the limitation with what I can see on the site is that it only seems to support STM designed boards, e.g Nucleo and Discovery.

Without downloading and installing etc, It be hard to know if it could be modified to suit the Maple mini or the myriad of other No-Name / generic boards that most people are using.

My other question would be how its library support is handled for third party Arduino libraries, (not libs that come with it)

ivankravets

Postby ivankravets » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm

RogerClark wrote:very interesting
Thanks for the link.

I think the limitation with what I can see on the site is that it only seems to support STM designed boards, e.g Nucleo and Discovery.

Without downloading and installing etc, It be hard to know if it could be modified to suit the Maple mini or the myriad of other No-Name / generic boards that most people are using.

We can add support for the additional boards without any problems. What is more, you can create new board personally. See http://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/pl ... board.html

RogerClark wrote:My other question would be how its library support is handled for third party Arduino libraries, (not libs that come with it)

Library's developer tells PlatformIO how to handle its code via library.json. Then PlatformIO builds it into static library using required options, toolchains, etc.
Regards, Ivan Kravets
- Ph.D, Researcher and Software Architect
- "Creativity comes from talent and never from knowledge" (c)

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Sounds cool

I will download today

PS.
Does it support CortexM0 devices as well.
I'm looking at NRF51822 BLE on Arduino as well, using an existing core by RedBearLab, which is written for the Arduino IDE

Edit.

I just tried to install on Windows, but even though I have python 2.7 installed it, the pip command doesn't seem to do what it does on Linux etc

Code: Select all

Python 2.7.2 (default, Jun 12 2011, 15:08:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> pip
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'pip' is not defined
>>> pip install -U pip setuptools
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    pip install -U pip setuptools
              ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>>

PS. I didnt realise this a command line only application.

ivankravets

Postby ivankravets » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:19 pm

1. `pip` command doesn't work because you don't have installed it. Please install the latest version of Python 2.x and don't forget to select "Add python.exe to Path" feature on the "Customize" stage. After it the `pip` and `python` command will be visible from your "cmd" environment.

2. If you don't want to upgrade your Python, then use PlatformIO installer script.

3. As for NRF51822 BLE on Arduino. Is this board the same like https://github.com/platformio/platformio/issues/319 ? Please describe in that issue what do you need. We are working on it.
Regards, Ivan Kravets

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:43 pm

I have Python 2.7 but it sounds like thats not new enough. (Its already in my path)

Re: RFDuino

I think they use a different processor. I can't remember which processor it is. I know its by Nordic, but its not the nRF51822.

But I'm still trying to get an optimized install solution for the nRF51822 on the normal Arduino IDE, so there is no point in me trying to get it working with anything else until I get the basics working ;-)

mrmonteith

Postby mrmonteith » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:29 am

[quote="RogerClark"
I think they use a different processor. I can't remember which processor it is. I know its by Nordic, but its not the nRF51822.)[/quote]

Are you thinking the NRF24L01 possibly?

stevech

Postby stevech » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:54 am

RogerClark wrote:I have Python 2.7 but it sounds like thats not new enough. (Its already in my path)

Re: RFDuino

I think they use a different processor. I can't remember which processor it is. I know its by Nordic, but its not the nRF51822.

But I'm still trying to get an optimized install solution for the nRF51822 on the normal Arduino IDE, so there is no point in me trying to get it working with anything else until I get the basics working ;-)

Python 3 is a much different language than Python 2.7. And many libraries are not compatible with 3.
I've used 2.7 for several years and like it. I often use Qt Designer and pyQt with it for the GUI, when on Windows/Mac/Linux.
Micropython is python 3 and has lots of STM32F4 I/O support. There's an ESP8266 version as well, but it's not ready for prime time.

ivankravets

Postby ivankravets » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:19 pm

RogerClark wrote:I have Python 2.7 but it sounds like thats not new enough. (Its already in my path)

Don't forget that PlatformIO isn't compatible with Python 3.x. If you are going to upgrade your Python, the please download the latest of Python 2.7.x

RogerClark wrote:Re: RFDuino

They don't mentioned real SoC which they use, see http://www.rfduino.com/product/rfd22102 ... index.html
However, RFDuino RFD22102 is based on nRF51822. What is more, they provide own version of Arduino API to work with it.
Regards, Ivan Kravets

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Ivan

Thanks for the info on the rfduino, I will check out their IDE

Return to “IDE's”