Re: Platformio

Postby AnalogLamb » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:33 am

I would like to try this new IDE..
thanks
AnalogLamb.Com - STM32Duino for Everyone

madias

Postby madias » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Hm. I like this IDE, sadly it seems like STM32duino Support got into a standstill

Nutsy

Postby Nutsy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:37 pm

I use Atom/PlanformIO for the coding side of my project, and arduino IDE in external IDE mode to build and upload...

I know ATOM is meant to be able to upload but I just cant get that side of it working... Shame really.

ubis

Postby ubis » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Now PlatformIO supports STM32duino.
Currently, generic f103r* / f103c* and maple v3 boards are supported. More will be added soon.
Flashing is either serial or dfu(with stm32duino bootloader).

What you need to do is:

1) Install PlatformIO IDE http://platformio.org/platformio-ide
2) Launch terminal in PlatformIO IDE and write:

Code: Select all

platformio platform install https://github.com/platformio/platform-ststm32.git

3) Create a new project, choose board from generic category.

Post here if something doesn't work.

Slammer

Postby Slammer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:53 pm

I will try it.
Atom is a very nice editor with beautiful syntax coloring and code completion, if it is possible to combine it with stm32duino build capability and automatic upload, this would be a very good alternative to arduino ide.

EDIT: OK, I tried it (the generic c8), it works and builds binary (by default) starting at 0x08000000 without USB support. I will try other types of boards to see if dfu upload works, but my first impression is very good. Platform IO made huge progress in the last months, I am watching the progress of the project from last March and I am impressed with the achievments and the commitment of developers.

@ubis, the blue_pill board is already in boards collection but currently seems to support only the mbed framework, I think that arduinostm32 must be added

ubis

Postby ubis » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:14 am

Slammer wrote:I will try it.
Atom is a very nice editor with beautiful syntax coloring and code completion, if it is possible to combine it with stm32duino build capability and automatic upload, this would be a very good alternative to arduino ide.

EDIT: OK, I tried it (the generic c8), it works and builds binary (by default) starting at 0x08000000 without USB support. I will try other types of boards to see if dfu upload works, but my first impression is very good. Platform IO made huge progress in the last months, I am watching the progress of the project from last March and I am impressed with the achievments and the commitment of developers.

@ubis, the blue_pill board is already in boards collection but currently seems to support only the mbed framework, I think that arduinostm32 must be added

Thanks. Gonna check blue_pill board.

Don't forget to add upload_procotol = serial or dfu in platformio.ini to enable automatic flashing ;)

madias

Postby madias » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Ok, there are some people like me, who won't have "git" installed, so if you get this

Code: Select all

PlatformManager: Installing platform-ststm32
Error: VCS: `git` client is not installed in your system

goto:
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting- ... alling-Git

AND (only if you used the version before):
Delete the "old" STM32duino files under
USER/.platformIO/packages
and
USER/.platformIO/platforms

compiling now works, I'll try the upload later

Thanks for all

Matthias
Last edited by madias on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madias

Postby madias » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Ok, I read only in this thread:
Uploading is only possible at 0x08000000, so it will delete the bootloader (boards with bootloader starts at 0x08005000)
Uploading methods are:
dfu
serial
but not ST-Link (we use mostly ST-Link2.0 and not the new version ST-Link2.1 (as on nucleo boards))?

Boards:
Ok, you can use the generic ones, but the board we use mostly is the "maple mini" - this board is sadly missing (we use the maple mini as reference board for nearly everything - if it wont run on the maple mini, I will not run elsewhere). I tried to manually inserting a maple_mini.json into C:\Users\madias\.platformio\platforms\ststm32\boards but it won't shown up.

C:\Users\madias\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoststm32\STM32F1\variants
Is this folder considered by platformIO?
Last edited by madias on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slammer

Postby Slammer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:27 pm

I think that these issues will be resolved soon, it is very easy, as the declaration of each board is some lines of json file.
ST-Link is already inside platformio, this issue is also very easy to solve.

PlatformIO is not only an advanced building system for embedded world it is like a distribution (like linux distributions) as the project provides everything, toolchains, tools, frameworks etc. This is a huge job!( 3 operating systems, 200+ boards, 15+ platforms, 10+ frameworks, Library Browser). I am wondering how it is possible for such small developing team, and how they will support the system with updates (in frameworks, toolchains, etc)
Last edited by Slammer on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madias

Postby madias » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:39 pm

Slammer, I see the power of plattformIO. It looks like to be very easy to implement a platform (in contrast to UECIDE, but this is another story) and this IDE is really a birthday present for people like me building code on different MCU-platforms.
Only trap: We have some additional menu items in the Arduino IDE, like choosing the bootloader. This must be implemented someway.

BTW: It seems like plattformIO is going for a business plan: https://pioplus.com/pricing.html

Return to “IDE's”