GNU ARM Eclipse is now available from Eclipse Marketplace

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
ilg

GNU ARM Eclipse is now available from Eclipse Marketplace

Post by ilg » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:05 pm

Overview

The GNU ARM Eclipse project includes a set of open source Eclipse plug-ins and tools to create/build/debug/manage ARM (32-bits) and AArch64 (64-bits) applications and static/shared libraries, using the latest GNU ARM GCC toolchains.

Eclipse Marketplace

Aiming to further improve the user experience while installing/updating the plug-ins, the GNU ARM Eclipse project was registered to Eclipse Marketplace:

Benefits

The main advantage of using the Eclipse Marketplace is a simplified install procedure, no longer requiring to manually enter the update site address.

The Install button

The Eclipse Marketplace not only provides a centralised index to locate projects, it goes one step further and provides a drag-and-drop browser button.

As seen above, the button can be included in any web page.

To use it, just drag-and-drop the button to a running Eclipse, and the plug-ins to install/update will be automatically identified:

If, for any reason, this does not work, it is always possible to search the Eclipse Marketplace manually from within Eclipse menus:

More info

For more details about the GNU ARM Eclipse project, please refer to the project site http://gnuarmeclipse.github.io/.

RogerClark

Re: GNU ARM Eclipse is now available from Eclipse Marketplace

Post by RogerClark » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:36 pm

Thanks

I think I will reinstall my Eclipse ARM stuff using this method, as Im trying to setup a dev env for the Nordic nRF51 and it also uses the same compiler as its a Cortex M0 device

ilg

Post by ilg » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:02 pm

RogerClark wrote:Thanks

I think I will reinstall my Eclipse ARM stuff using this method, as Im trying to setup a dev env for the Nordic nRF51 and it also uses the same compiler as its a Cortex M0 device
Yes, sure, but, unless you have problems with your current setup, you don't have to reinstall it, the plug-ins are the same, regardless what method you use to install them. Eclipse Marketplace can also be used to update the plug-ins.

Regarding the Nordic stuff, I just discovered a problem with the Keil packs index, it is outdated most of the times (the Nordic packs have newer versions), which sometimes leads to unpredicted results when using the packs. There are some workarounds, please check the GitHub Issues.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks for the info about the packs

Its a long story...

I have one machine with the nRF51 stuff installed and working, but I setup a new machine yesterday, and I have config issues
(though I don't think its the compiler its probably something related to the Nordic SDK)

I have not really setup the Packs, as I thought they were just for SWD debugging, as the installation on my old machine seems to compile OK and generate Hex files.
However even on ,my old machine, I have not managed to run the hex files - but this is mainly because I didnt have all the hardware setup for testing

I now have a Jlink and also a "Mother board" from WaveShare with 5 LEDs on it, so I will at least be able to confirm whether GPIO is working on the nRF51

Incidentally I have the nRF51822 working under the Arduino IDE, but that's using the same ARM compiler that I installed (for SAM) to compile for STM32