Board Manager again

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
stevech

Re: Board Manager again

Post by stevech » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:09 am

RogerClark wrote:@ddrown

I guess I could probably use MS Visual studio as an external editor and get some of those functions, but I don't want the massive bloat that installing VS would cause
VIsual Studio Community (free) with Visual Micro (free, and low cost optional software debug)... in my opinion having tried all the IDEs, is the best. Visual Micro is a plugin that allows Arduino-style pre-compilation.
So VS+VM is like a great editor with the full IDE for multiple serial monitors concurrently and support for the popular downloaders.
Also support for GCC ARM for STM32, Freescale, ESP8266, etc.
VS+VM is much better than Atmel Studio, IMO, for what we do.

With today's big disks and big RAM, big IDEs isn't an issue for me. VS+VM is very, very fast on my PC with its 500GB SSD. "Bloat" isn't an issue at all.
Most of my non-work-in-progress files are on my NAS.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:54 pm

blimey - when did they tumble?

istr 256G shading £200

with ssd, especially 500G; bloat does tend to fade

stephen

stevech

Post by stevech » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:20 pm

I used a 64GB SSD for a long time. Never close to full. Because of the NAS.
Only work in process files stored on SSD. Auto-copied to NAS by Centered Systems' "Second Copy" (terrific software, long used by me).
256GB SSDs are the price sweet spot now.

I buy only Samsung SSDs. They get a premium for these over their competition. But since most of my PC use is professional, I don't skimp.

The SSDs make the difference between night and day. And do more for speed and ease of use than a faster CPU in a new PC.
Same for MACs.

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:51 pm

I published a new version for this

Changes in 1.0.5
- now supports GD32F1, STM32F3, and STM32F4
- Sebastian Kostka's update for dfu-utils for OS X 10.11.2

I've verified that the board manager works on a borrowed Mac OS X machine and compiles for the various targets. I see a few of the flashing tools (stlink and dfu-util) depend on the library libusb-1.0.0.dylib, which the test Mac does not have. I don't have full-time access to this machine, so I wasn't able to fix any of it.

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:05 am

Pushed a new version

Changes in 1.0.6
- Remove */libraries/LiquidCrystal_I2C/
- set the library category for STM32F1/libraries/TFT_ILI9163C (to silence the IDE warnings)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:45 am

Thanks

I must get around to trying it, but I am rather time poor at the moment, mainly because of work.

I keep considering if we should have this as the official download, but I think everyone's concern is that, having a non-techie way to install, would swamp the forum with silly questions, like "Why doesn't this work on my STM32F103xxx board"

We see this sort of thing a bit at the moment, where for unknown config reasons, boards like the Blue Pill don't seem to work with some Windows machines (as the USB doesn't reset properly)

I noticed someone else had a W10 driver issue today, and I'm still not sure if that has been resolved.

But I see more and more of this on the horizon and I don't like being rude to people by explaining this is not a commercial product and there is no guaranteed support and they are likely to have to find and fix the problem themselves, by reading the forum etc

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:38 pm

maybe move all similar threads into a top level 'Windows nn issues" with topics having prominent 'SOLVED' tags when resolved?
srp

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:42 pm

RogerClark wrote:Thanks

I must get around to trying it, but I am rather time poor at the moment, mainly because of work.

I keep considering if we should have this as the official download, but I think everyone's concern is that, having a non-techie way to install, would swamp the forum with silly questions, like "Why doesn't this work on my STM32F103xxx board"

We see this sort of thing a bit at the moment, where for unknown config reasons, boards like the Blue Pill don't seem to work with some Windows machines (as the USB doesn't reset properly)

I noticed someone else had a W10 driver issue today, and I'm still not sure if that has been resolved.

But I see more and more of this on the horizon and I don't like being rude to people by explaining this is not a commercial product and there is no guaranteed support and they are likely to have to find and fix the problem themselves, by reading the forum etc
I can understand this. One of my STM32F103 boards seems to not have working USB at all on any machine I've plugged it into. I'll assume the very cheap prices means none of them get tested before they're shipped out.

Would it help to have a document to point people to when they have usb problems? That turns it from a person saying "no" to "this is our policy on these problems"

Something like (perhaps with more detail):

1. does it show up in your OS's list of USB devices?
2. do you have the proper drivers installed for your OS?
3. does it work in a different computer?
4. Check this list of boards with known problems: [...]
5. if it still doesn't work, you're on your own. Please let us know if you found a solution so we can update this document.

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Pushed a new version

Changes in 1.0.7
- uart fixes by stevstrong
- stm32flash_serial fixes by Jean-Claude Wippler
- support Nucleo w/o and w/ crystal by Jean-Claude Wippler
- delay() fix by Jean-Claude Wippler
- additional function updateSettings() to replace the call to begin() (SPI.cpp) by stevstrong
- added defines of external event selections for regular and injected groups (adc.h) by stevstrong

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Fantastic

Thankyou

BTW. I have one outstanding PR I hope to get to this week, which is a fix for some USB issues.

However I'm so busy with work, I may not get around to it until next week