Board Manager again

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
mrburnette

Re: Board Manager again

Post by mrburnette » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:19 pm

RogerClark wrote: <...>
But I see more and more of this on the horizon and I don't like being rude to people by explaining this is not a commercial product and there is no guaranteed support and they are likely to have to find and fix the problem themselves, by reading the forum etc
It's your forum Roger, so I understand your sensitivity and I respect your position. I also appreciate the effort by ddrown and others, ridding ourselves of bugs is paramount. But IMO the forum is not a support forum but rather a clearing house for discussing and documenting using the Arduino IDE for compiling and uploading code to the STM32F103 series. Discussion around the F2, F3, and F4 is healthy and the intent is to attempt to bring some functionality under the Arduino umbrella.

Kind words aside, we do not support a commercial product which is to say the STM32 port is unofficial and officially unsupported. Individuals that join the forum must understand that they are expected to work ... yes, search & read & experiment & code to satisfy their needs. If they cannot do these things by themselves, they do not need to be here. Others here join in their quest, but there is no implied requirement that we jump into the sea and help pull them to shore. Rather, tossing a rope (URL) or life jacket (code snippet) may be the best we can do... sometimes that is just a few links or a few comforting statements.
maybe move all similar threads into a top level 'Windows nn issues" with topics having prominent 'SOLVED' tags when resolved?
srp
With respect, It is a great idea, but few noob actually read stickies. Or said another way, if a noob will not Google the site, what hope do we have that they would ever read a stickie?

IMO: I hope that Arduino users stay with Arduino, the forum has moderators and much 8-bit history. An alternative to the high cost of Arduino 32-bit immersion is STM32duino but jumping the official site to here must come with a commitment to self-support, self-study, and a determined mindset to fully participate and give back to the community. Everyone here wants to be helpful and I think we are... but I never see us (as we are currently organized) being able to manage an flood of noobies coming over just because $4 and 32-bit seems like fun.

Ray

I have been using the "other" IDE almost exclusively for STM32duino ... that is, version 1.7.8 from Arduino.org
No problems to report. There is NO board manager.

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Mon May 02, 2016 12:30 am

Changes in 1.0.8:
  • rngkll - add defines for LEDS 3-8 on the stm32f4discovery
  • rngkll - fix stm32f4/stlink upload for macos
  • Pito - fix stm32f4 PWM on the stm32f4discovery's LEDs

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri May 06, 2016 8:03 am

Guys

As it looks like IDE 1.6.9 may work with our existing files (the same files that work with 1.6.5), I am trying to build a boards manager package that will work for both 1.6.5 and 1.6.9, (but won't work for 1.6.6, 1.6.7 and 1.6.8)

At the moment however, I can't get the JSON file to work at all in 1.6.5 (nothing to do with the core files, its something to do with the json file causing a null pointer exception in the IDE - I guess something is missing)

Pito

Post by Pito » Fri May 06, 2016 4:38 pm

Pito - fix stm32f4 PWM on the stm32f4discovery's LEDs
Mind there is an another PWM bug for F4discovery - with pwm's setPeriod() - the routine calculates with MCU clock frequency (it is ok with F103), but it shall do with MCU/2 with F407..
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri May 06, 2016 9:22 pm

I think I would only have the F1 in the board manager package.

The F4 is not maintained by the community to the same level, so its best if people download manually to get it.

F3 support is even less than F4, and I almost feel like I should remove it completely, especially as the HALMX core probably now could supersede it.

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Tue May 31, 2016 4:11 am

Changes in 1.0.9:

major change notes: GD32F1 branch was merged into STM32F1, a new "fake" library has all the stm32 examples: A_STM32_Examples, and initial linux64 support was added
  • WereCatf - Install udev-rules for ST-link
  • Slammer - fix for issue with USB Serial on GCC 4.9
  • WereCatf - Bugfix Adafruit_ILI9341_STM
  • WereCatf - Update Adafruit_ILI9341_STM.cpp
  • Roger Clark - Fixed broken URL to leaflabs docs
  • Roger Clark - Changed defines for MOSI, MISO etc into const static vars, to address compatibility issues
  • Roger Clark - Updated 'category' in library.properties files, to shop the IDE complaining that this key is missing
  • Roger Clark - Added new file WCharacter.h, and updated String files to add missing Arduino API functionality
  • Rick Kimball - fix compiler warnings related to __always_inline
  • Roger Clark - Changed stm32f1 boards.txt to include vid and pid value for maple serial, so that the 'Get Board Info' feature shows all stm32duino bootloader boards as Maple mini.
  • Roger Clark - Added experimental support for generic GD32F103C inside the STM32 tree
  • Roger Clark - Added missing cpu speed menu for GD32
  • Roger Clark - removed submodules TFT_ILI9163C, Ether_STM, stm32duino-bootloader
  • Roger Clark - Add missing definitions for MISO etc to F4 core
  • Roger Clark - Add recipe for 'Export Binary' feature
  • Roger Clark - Tidied up platform.txt
  • Roger Clark - Started to add linux 64 bit support
  • Roger Clark - Added missing API functions microsecondsToClockCycles etc
  • Roger Clark - Add dummy / shell library to allow IDE access to the examples
  • Roger Clark - Moved examples to new dummy library item
  • Roger Clark - Renamed MrBrunetteExamples to General examples, and removed boards.txt
  • Roger Clark - Fixed issue with GD32 USB reset time being too short, and not enumerating on some PCs
  • Roger Clark - Increase generic boards USB reset delay to fix issue with newer PC's
  • Roger Clark - Update README.md

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue May 31, 2016 4:28 am

Thanks Dan

I've been away at Maker Faire for the last 2 weeks (only getting home yesterday), so I've not had chance to work out the best way for me to generate these myself

Also...

I've realised that the repo doesnt work with Arduino.org's version of the IDE as they have not incorporated any of the changes to platform.txt, and are effectively using the version of the IDE from back around V1.5.8 or some other version prior to 1.6.4 (possibly 1.6.3 or 1.6.2)

As Arduino.org are bringing out STM32 based boards, I can see this may become an issue, so I'll need to work out a way to handle this.

It could be that I need to have a different branch for Arduino.org (which has a different platform.txt)

Looking on the bright side, it looks like 1.6.9 is fairly stable and in a few weeks I may merge the changes that are currently only in the development branch, which completely remove the compile warning in 1.6.9

But I'll let the dust settle a bit longer on 1.6.9 and let more people move to it, before doing anything.

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Tue May 31, 2016 3:14 pm

RogerClark wrote: I've realised that the repo doesnt work with Arduino.org's version of the IDE as they have not incorporated any of the changes to platform.txt, and are effectively using the version of the IDE from back around V1.5.8 or some other version prior to 1.6.4 (possibly 1.6.3 or 1.6.2)

As Arduino.org are bringing out STM32 based boards, I can see this may become an issue, so I'll need to work out a way to handle this.

It could be that I need to have a different branch for Arduino.org (which has a different platform.txt)
Incompatible standards, always fun. I'm wondering if a branch is the right way to do this. I'm worried about it making more work.
RogerClark wrote: Looking on the bright side, it looks like 1.6.9 is fairly stable and in a few weeks I may merge the changes that are currently only in the development branch, which completely remove the compile warning in 1.6.9

But I'll let the dust settle a bit longer on 1.6.9 and let more people move to it, before doing anything.
That's a bit of good news

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue May 31, 2016 9:21 pm

Dan

I agree that usng a branch is problematic, but I think its only one file that needs to be different.

The only other way however would probably be to host the zip for arduino.org elsewhere and use a script to download the master version and make the small changes necessary to platform.txt and then re-zip it

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Tue May 31, 2016 9:35 pm

It could be also a script that user execute after install to tweak the board.txt and/or plateform.txt.