STM32L4 Core

Cores are the underlying magic that make the Arduino API possible
GrumpyOldPizza

Re: STM32L4 Core

Postby GrumpyOldPizza » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:10 am

RogerClark wrote:Interesting.

I bought a small nRF51 module from a german vendor on eBay, and it arrived yesterday.
But I have not had time to even solder some tiny wires to it.

BTW. if you are playing with nRF52, I hear the first version of the device has a number of Errata in its silicon.
There are work-arounds for this, but its the reason why at the moment I only bought one nRF52, as I could not confirm the revision number ( as it is inside a metal enclosure on the PCB)

There is a bunch of errata (like with any other device). The only real bad one was SPIM sending an extra byte if the transfer is only 1 byte. Everything else seemed to have reasonable WARs.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:18 am

Thanks.

I know there were work-arounds for most of the errata.

Not directly related but I also found out on the nRF51 that QFAA versions with revisions below H, will not work with V2.0.x of the S130 SoftDevice.
Which means I can't use some of my old boards with SDK V11 or SDK V12. Consequentially I'm sticking with SDK10 for the foreseeable future.

I'm not entirely sure what changed in the silicon, but it must be something important if it prevents you using the latest 2 SDK revisions.

GrumpyOldPizza

Postby GrumpyOldPizza » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Quick status update.

A lot of new clock frequencies have been added:

1MHz & 2MHz Range 2, LPrun
4MHz, 8MHZ, 16MHz & 24MHz Range 2
32MHz, 48MHz, 64MHz, 72MHz & 80MHz Range 1

If USB is connected that board will not go lower than 16MHz to keep USB working. There is a programmer added, which allows direct downloads via STLink, so that low power modes can be tested. I think 16Mhz is now at around 2.2mA for the infamous "Blink" example.

A new RTC class has been added. Essentially RTCZero compatible, but also allows control over synchronization with another time master, and fine calibration of the time.

Ah, and preliminary support for NUCLEO-L476 has been added.

(There is a lot of reorg going on for upcoming boards...)

Ollie

Postby Ollie » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:41 pm

On this week, I got my NUCLEO-L432KC from Mouser ($10.33). The ESD protection in the packaging was overwhelming. Now I am wondering, if any of you have damaged your board and how it happened? Based on that, do you have practical hints to reduce the risk. It seems that often I am too lazy to use the writs band :oops:

Ignoring the potential fragility of this compact Nucleo board, I am very pleased for it. The combination of high performance, compact size, and low power consumption is required in many applications.

Cheers, Ollie

ahull

Postby ahull » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:27 am

Ollie wrote:....
The ESD protection in the packaging was overwhelming. Now I am wondering, if any of you have damaged your board and how it happened?

Many years ago when I was starting out in electronics, a friend of mine decided to hoover the paper dust out of a printer, much rattling about with the plastic nozzle later, and the printer was switched back on. Stone dead..... Some sensitive CMOS was zapped it seems by the over zealous attempt to restore it to pristine condition.

I also had a customer who had their own small hydro generator, which for some strange reason used to get zapped by lightning fairly regularly (I assume it was the generator that attracted the lightning and not some bizarre local religious practices :twisted: ). This would take out large numbers of RS232 line drivers. (MC1488 and MC1489 if anybody remembers those), nothing else seemed to be affected, but after a few years, most of the terminals on the site had their line drivers socketed for ease of replacement, and all of our engineers carried a small antistatic box full of MC1488 and MC1489 chips.
- Andy Hull -

GrumpyOldPizza

Postby GrumpyOldPizza » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:29 pm

Ollie wrote:On this week, I got my NUCLEO-L432KC from Mouser ($10.33). The ESD protection in the packaging was overwhelming. Now I am wondering, if any of you have damaged your board and how it happened? Based on that, do you have practical hints to reduce the risk. It seems that often I am too lazy to use the writs band :oops:

Ignoring the potential fragility of this compact Nucleo board, I am very pleased for it. The combination of high performance, compact size, and low power consumption is required in many applications.

Cheers, Ollie

The Nucleo-L432KC does not seem to be low power ;-) It has a STM32F103 as STLink & USB/CDC bridge on it. Not sure whether you can use the L432 without it.

Got something interesting coming that might be of interest for you there though:

https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/MfREh2u0

- Thomas

Ollie

Postby Ollie » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:47 pm

That is a good comment. The low power feature will be available with Ladybug and similar compact core devices.

Cheers, Ollie

GrumpyOldPizza

Postby GrumpyOldPizza » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:13 pm

Ollie wrote:That is a good comment. The low power feature will be available with Ladybug and similar compact core devices.

Cheers, Ollie

Similar cores ... Perhaps a STM32L433 ?

https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/uCo8xqwC

adrien3d

Postby adrien3d » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:05 am

Hi,

I have purchased a Nucleo-L476RG, and I've tried to unzip https://github.com/GrumpyOldPizza/arduino-STM32L4 in the hardware folder in my Arduino folder.
I am on MacOS 10.12.1 and Arduino 1.6.13, but, I can't see anything on the board section.

Do you have any idea on how to fix this ?

Thanks

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:37 am

Did you just unzip all the files directly into the hardware folder. If so you need to make a folder called STM32L4 and move the files into that folder then restart your IDE. (as the IDE supports multiple third party cores and each needs to be in their own folder under the hardware folder)

Return to “Cores”