No fix on u-blox neo 6m

External hardware connected to the STM32 board
RogerClark

Re: No fix on u-blox neo 6m

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:20 pm

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Can you change the thread title, to indicate you now have a fix.

ilf

Post by ilf » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi Roger, sorry for not getting back earlier, got a bit of a flu or something. This actually is not my thread, I shamelessly hijacked it, because it was exactly the same situation I was facing. Sidenote, with a bit of help from Tomtor LoRaWAN is working flawlessly with Arduino-LMIC lib. I don't know what is the proper way of reporting working libs, but if someone does a search - LMIC works, you just need tomtor's LMIC github repo. :D

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:36 pm

People sometimes post to the libraries section if they have ported a library, or if they find a particular library works with no changes.

I should probably formalise this.

I should probably do something similar for hardware, e.g. I tried one of those H Bridge motor controllers the other day, and it seemed to work fine wirh 3.3v PWM

ahull

Post by ahull » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:54 am

RogerClark wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:36 pm
People sometimes post to the libraries section if they have ported a library, or if they find a particular library works with no changes.

I should probably formalise this.

I should probably do something similar for hardware, e.g. I tried one of those H Bridge motor controllers the other day, and it seemed to work fine wirh 3.3v PWM
Sounds like a good thing to put in the Wiki, perhaps a section for working hardware and a section for working libraries.
- Andy Hull -

jucordero

Post by jucordero » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Ilf, thank you for reviving this post. I actually could not resolve the issue. Even changed the LDO for two maple mini clones with no results, but never tried removing the breadboard from the equation. I'll give it a try today so we can have a larger sample of results.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:42 pm

jucordero wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:40 pm
Ilf, thank you for reviving this post. I actually could not resolve the issue. Even changed the LDO for two maple mini clones with no results, but never tried removing the breadboard from the equation. I'll give it a try today so we can have a larger sample of results.
... There is not an issue with Neo 6 and the Maple Mini clone - I have used both many times with Adafruit's GPS library and even my own non-library parsing function. I do however use the 9600 BAUD default serial speed of the ublox.

Example project

When the Neo6's arrive from China, they will take a very long time to get the first fix; My worst case was over 10 hours.

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:09 pm

Ray,

Can you an approximate location to the GPS to help it with its initial fix?

I think some GPS units support this.

Also puttin the unit outside so it gets a clear view of as many satellites as possible normally speeds up acquisition time.