Do I need a ST-Link or JLink or Both?

External hardware connected to the STM32 board
RogerClark

Re: Do I need a ST-Link or JLink or Both?

Post by RogerClark » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:56 am

racemaniac wrote:...

Atm i'm sticking to baite st links, as the only small metallic stlink i have quickly died a hot death >_<. I don't trust those little buggers anymore :p.
The other good thing about the Baite STlink's is that the pads on the bottom of the PCB allow you to reprogram it via USB to Serial, as they are power, ground, PA0, PA10 and Boot0 - e.g. if you just want a stm32 based dongle form board for some reason

Its just a shame that the GPIO pins on the end connector are a bit limited

leavesw

Post by leavesw » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:07 am

RogerClark wrote:
racemaniac wrote:...

Atm i'm sticking to baite st links, as the only small metallic stlink i have quickly died a hot death >_<. I don't trust those little buggers anymore :p.
The other good thing about the Baite STlink's is that the pads on the bottom of the PCB allow you to reprogram it via USB to Serial, as they are power, ground, PA0, PA10 and Boot0 - e.g. if you just want a stm32 based dongle form board for some reason

Its just a shame that the GPIO pins on the end connector are a bit limited
I will check on Baite's ones next time - I have found thoes metallic ones are too poorly made - though they have not died yet - so I will live with them for the time being :)
michael_l wrote: I have also st-link and it's working gread.. Could you elaborate on what is 'srst in configuration file' ?
Here is my openocd configure file for my custom-made STM32L072 board:

Code: Select all

source [find interface/stlink-v2.cfg]
transport select hla_swd
source [find target/stm32l0.cfg]
reset_config none
the reset_config was set to srst initially so that after the programming is done, the st-link debugger should drive srst pin to reset the chip.
However, due to the fact that on most board, srst_n is used, so for me, I disable the reset_config and everything works fine.

keypunch

Post by keypunch » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:49 am

Hello All,

Thank you for your replies to my post.

I have not been here to the site since those posts. One major reason is the reason for my couple personal STM32 projects. Another and had no idea would happen is various items I ordered last fall still have not arrived.

One of those items ordered last Fall was a STLink that is now going on 4 months and has not arrived. My Baite Maple Mini Clones ordered last Fall only arrived a few days ago3+ months after fact. I still do not have a number of basic items I need for the important personal project that are stables of what one uses and not the items unique to the project at hand one has. This taking 3-4+ months of items ordered is really slowing the important personal project down that does include project specif items for my important personal project.

I did receive from my orders of last fall the USB to TTL Serial adapter a few days ago as well. I assume I can use the USB to TTL Serial if and when I wish to change the Maple Bootloader to the STM32duino version. I have a couple of very unique STM32 boards.. These are the STM32F103C8T6 and one is a STM32F407VET6. These are development boards I need to use a STLink with and still not sure if I will be able to use the STM32Duino development approach as I like to or if I will have to use the other STM32 development choices. I know the Maple Mini is a good possibility for what I like to accomplish for the important personal project. Now that I have a couple Maple Mini Clones on hand I can perhaps get some basics framework code and try out some prototyping of boards I will perhaps need to make.

I suspect I could use a JLink with as well or instead of the STLink. I am not sure yet if I need to consider ordering a JLink instead of of or in addition to a STLink. I may need to order the STLink again and hope it will arrive before end of 2017 at rate delivery is going currently.

Again thanks for your posts and comments as they are very helpful in knowing what your experiences/thoughts have been and what those of you are using.

Please know at times due to the nature of the life interrupts I can be delayed in my replies. The last few months have been such a challenge as well as time I have had to spend with dealing with orders not arriving 3+ months after fact.

Regards,

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
03 March 2017 08:49

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:38 am

There is an "updater" sketch which will reflash the original bootloader with the stm32duino-bootloader (look in the stm32duino-bootloader repo in github)

Re: Jlink

I added support for this on a few boards a while ago (sorry I can't remember precisely which boards as there are soooo many variants)

There is no additional benefit when using the Arduino IDE when using JLink, over using Stlink or BMP or serial or DFU. i.e you can just upload with it.

keypunch

Post by keypunch » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:14 am

RogerClark wrote:There is an "updater" sketch which will reflash the original bootloader with the stm32duino-bootloader (look in the stm32duino-bootloader repo in github)
I was aware of the "updater" sketch. Sense was if could, better to use USB to Serial or STLink/JLink to upgrade the bootloader. I have a couple of Baite Maple Mini Clones, so I could try with one and see if I mess it up doing so first time via "updater" script. Part of challenge I thought was choosing the appropriate varient of the bootloader to load.
RogerClark wrote:Re: Jlink

I added support for this on a few boards a while ago (sorry I can't remember precisely which boards as there are soooo many variants).
No worries. I would look at the board definitions file for this information I assume?
RogerClark wrote:There is no additional benefit when using the Arduino IDE when using JLink, over using Stlink or BMP or serial or DFU. i.e you can just upload with it.
One board I tried with the STM32duino IDE noted the need for a STLink for that board varient I choose from the STMduino board listed when choosing a board from the IDE. It appears the USB of the board only provides power, but I am not sure as yet. Two LEDs blink when power is applied to the board about every second on and second off. The other board I am not sure of as no LED blinks and IDE does not find the board. Neither board shows in lsusb unlike the Maple Mini Clone that does show with a lsusb.

Regards,

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
03 March 2017 05:13 EST (Opps last post used UTC time, sorry)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:35 am

Re: Boards which just have power connections on USB.

I think I got caught out with this as well, but I have so many stm32 boards I loose track of which one is which

vargham

Post by vargham » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:13 pm

racemaniac wrote:ST-link should suffice :)
You can program any stm microcontroller with it, and also have full debugging with it :).
Or any other ARM Cortex MCU. Serial Wire Debug is ARM's standard debug interface.

keypunch

Post by keypunch » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:32 am

Hello racemaniac and vargham,

Thanks for the:
vargham wrote:
racemaniac wrote:ST-link should suffice :)
You can program any stm microcontroller with it, and also have full debugging with it :).
Or any other ARM Cortex MCU. Serial Wire Debug is ARM's standard debug interface.
Are the metal STLinks reasonable choice? My sense is some feel the familar metal ones are reasonable and some feel not. The one I ordered that has not arrived after 4 months was the familar metal one. I clearly need to order again and that will likley mean I am set back another couple months of time for this important personal project.

I do have a USB to TTL Serial adaptor. I assume that is helpful for some things and not as useful or versatile as the STLink?

Regards,

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
07 March 2017 20:32

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:53 am

The mental ones are normally OK, as are the bare board ones.

I recently ordered what looked like an official STM STLink

But it didnt work at all.

I've no idea what firmware is flashed into it, as I get a flashing LED but thats all. I looked in the device manager and it doesnt come up as a USB device and the STLink GUI program does not detect any STLinks

So I've requested a refund from the eBay vendor

I'm not sure how big the official STLink is, this think is much smaller than I'd expected but it did some in a very official STM box.

keypunch

Post by keypunch » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Roger,

I looked and resarched the type of STLink you pictured in your last reply. My memory on this is rusty as this research and consideration of an STLink like you posted was done about back in October/November last year. I seem to recall there were versions and then versions of these. I also seem to recall some were very limited in what STM devices they would work with. Much of this I found via the STM site actually and some via those that posted about these. Part of reason I did not try order this type of STLink I believe could be genuine was as you know the sources seems able to make or source items that look like genuine and are not genuine.

Maybe I should just try to order another metal STLink and hope at least arrived in 60 days, not 90, 120, or never.

Regards,

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
08 March 2017 09:08 EST