Do I need a ST-Link or JLink or Both?

External hardware connected to the STM32 board
keypunch

Do I need a ST-Link or JLink or Both?

Post by keypunch » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:57 am

I have a Baite Maple Mini on way. Do I need a ST-Link or Jlink for some reason in the use of the Baite Maple MinI? Just if I will need, not the when, how, or why.

I am looking at some other STM32 boards for my personal project needs. Many of these boards have a header for JTag/SWD. It appears from what I have read that a STLink has some use via the header JTag/SWD. I do not know if a ST-Link will be all I would need when the need for using the JTag/SWD header of the STM32 board is needed or if there is a need to have a ST-Link and JLink for those situations that would so require one vs the other. I am not in need of how, when, why the ST-Link or JLink are used. I will figure that out on my own quite likely, or with specfic question(s) when/how to use for some rare off the wall situation. I am just trying to make sure I have what I need sooner than having to wait for some weeks stalled to obtain a ST-Link and/or JLink when it is actualaly needed.

Even if the Baite Maple does not have a need for a ST-Link or JLink I still wish to order sooner than later. I am giving some serious thought to ordering a STM32 board or two that may be better suited for my needs from hardware point of view. Then I will need to see how much time/effort it will take to do what I wish to. This will likely will be straight forward with the Baite Maple Mini, perhpas or not with other STM32 board or two I decide to try.

Regards,

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
07 November 2016 03:57

P.S. Bear with me if I am slow to reply. There are some reasons why I have this personal project and the reasons are of late more than a distraction. Hence why the project is that far more important now than when the research started early Spring of this year. jlm

danieleff

Re: Do I need a ST-Link or JLink or Both?

Post by danieleff » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:46 am

To program a Baite Maple Mini, you can use either a USB-serial adapter, or ST-link, or Jlink.

(If you upload the stm32duino bootloader to the board using one of the previous methods, you can just use the onboard USB connector without external tool.)

keypunch

Post by keypunch » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:07 am

danieleff wrote:To program a Baite Maple Mini, you can use either a USB-serial adapter, or ST-link, or Jlink.

(If you upload the stm32duino bootloader to the board using one of the previous methods, you can just use the onboard USB connector without external tool.)
Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. I did some more researching about mostly other posts on stm32duino.com. It appears it may be useful to have a USB-Serial adapter as well as a ST-Link adapter. Other research shows a JLink to be more expensive than a ST-Link and also an open board. The ST-Link is enclosed in case not exposing the board/circuit. A definite pro in my opinion.

I have not yet found what the pros/cons, expense difference aside, between the ST-Link and JLink are yet. I am still digging about the internet to figure out.

Regards,

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
08 November 2016 02:07

keypunch

Post by keypunch » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:38 am

I just remembered in my ongoing research that I should of asked in my initial question regarding the ST-Link and JLink. Is the software on host enviroment Windows only? I am seeing references so far in last few days in number of links I have looked at to software provided for ST-Link that is Windows centric. I was researching again and that reminded me I forgot to ask this question in my initial post. I do not know if same software or different software applies to using JLink. Let's just say I am very Windows "decentric"!

The USB-Serial adapter of course is not OS specific.

Regards,

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
08 November 2016 06:38

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:44 am

The Baite Maple Mini should have a bootloader already so you need only a microUSB cable.
Blue and rwd pill doesn't have bootloader.

In the repo there is a bootloader for Blue and Red Pill and a new bootloader for maple mini.

Having an Stlink and a serial adapter is a good alternative.

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:14 pm

I have looked at to software provided for ST-Link that is Windows centric
If you means about original STLink software from STM.
But there are open source STLink from Texane, which run on Linux or even on MacOS.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:53 pm

@keypunch,
debian jessie 8.x upto date.
i have a couple of j-link clones, both have j-link/segger / http://www.segger.com/usb as a silk screen printing on the top.
one has a label underneath and is seen by /opt/SEGGER/JLink_V610f/ software, the blank plastic box is declared unsupported?? or out of date??
the labelled box has 'fields' with 'O-Link-ARM', a serial number, hardware as v8.0 yy-ww as 05-36
additionally other half of label has swd and jtag pinout details.

my pair it seems didn't come from amazon or aliexpress(41 pages) or ebay(30 odd pages) really WEIRD as nowhere else is used, searched on ebay, all found don't show the underside of the box.
a lot seem to have added the 20pin to umteen other socket types adapter pcb.
a prinkling showing V9 ARM, higher price as well.

so far i've only run the software to check the results compare to those shown on the forum, they do.

HTH
stephen

leavesw

Post by leavesw » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:44 pm

I got my st-link programmer from eBay for 2-4 bucks each. They are not genuine ones but works well with openocd in windows, Linux and Mac for basic debugging and trouble shooting (two wire interface) :) srst in the configure file needs to be set to none, as reset signal on those counterfeits do not have the same polarity as most boards.

michael_l

Post by michael_l » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:36 am

leavesw wrote:I got my st-link programmer from eBay for 2-4 bucks each. They are not genuine ones but works well with openocd in windows, Linux and Mac for basic debugging and trouble shooting (two wire interface) :) srst in the configure file needs to be set to none, as reset signal on those counterfeits do not have the same polarity as most boards.
I have also st-link and it's working gread.. Could you elaborate on what is 'srst in configuration file' ?

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:32 am

ST-link should suffice :)
You can program any stm microcontroller with it, and also have full debugging with it :).
Recently i've been working with Visual studio as IDE (and also with the cube mx code generator rather than the arduino framework), and i've got uploading of my programs via the st link, and line per line debugging of the code working :).

So not sure why you'd need anything else :). Atm i'm sticking to baite st links, as the only small metallic stlink i have quickly died a hot death >_<. I don't trust those little buggers anymore :p.