Good moment to be ordering from china?

Anything not related to STM32
racemaniac

Good moment to be ordering from china?

Post by racemaniac » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:50 pm

just before christmas i ordered a lot of stuff from aliexpress, and to my amazement, a lot of it is already arriving. that's 1.5 week delivery time to europe O_O
gonna remember that for next year that this is a really good moment to order!

mrburnette

Re: Good moment to be ordering from china?

Post by mrburnette » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:16 pm

... you are lucky. As we approach Chinese New Year, the entire country will effectively shut-down. Had the company you ordered from been a bit slower, you may not have gotten your items until March. For 2017, Chinese New Year starts on January 28. The holiday lasts 7 days and preparations start a full 7 days before.

Everyone has good and less-than-good experiences with China procurements. In my posts, I recommend ordering no later than November 30 as a rule-of-thumb.

Additionally, for U.S.A. customers, past experiences with China as a "favored Nation" status may change dramatically in 2017 - be aware. I am always pleased when items I ordered internationally arrive on-time and in good condition. For many newbies that are unfamiliar with the highs & lows of parts procurements, eBay may still be a better approach if the dealer is located within your country and ships directs (that is, not drop ship). For example, a local Atlanta man sells ESP8266 modules on eBay at a reasonable price and he keeps a local stock of these items. Therefore, the link between my order and the order in the mailbox is simply the USPS ... thereby avoiding International shipment and Customs.

Play it Smart
If you are going to order one module from China, consider ordering a minimum of 2: one for experimentation and one to keep pristine (after initial checking) to use to be a tie breaker when you are trying to decide between code and hardware during a problem. Absolutely nothing beats having known-good working hardware when a software problem is suspected, but not certain.

Personally, I generally order in quantity of 2x for more expensive items (the $10 category) and 5x for modules in the $4 - $9 range if I know that the parts will be utilized. Be careful, many Chinese vendors on AliExpress will change from "free shipping" to a fee-per-item when the Quantity box is increased passed 2x. For $1 items, doing a full AliExpress site search will often turn up a 10x quantity with free or very reasonable shipment costs.

Ray

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:12 pm

i'm not talking about one supplier here, i ordered a lot of stuff, yesterday 3 packages arrived, today 7, and the tracking info on other packages is also moving quickly.
Maybe they're trying to get everything out of the country before the newyear celebrations begin :).

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:01 pm

lol, one of the packages that arrived today had a small surprise XD
it was supposed to be 15 DAC ic's
it ended up being 12
and a stereo headphone driver (not bad)
a dual differential comparator (might be of use some day)
and a 24V CAN transceiver (ehhh... anybody need it?)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:01 pm

One of the Chinese companies use to make custom hardware, closes for Chinese New Year on 13th January, and they don't start work again, until the official end of their New Year.

( This was rather unexpected, and has caused a lot of problems, as firmware will not be finished in time for the manufacturer to install, so all 200 units will arrive blank, and i will need to organise a working bee to flash them)

Ackee

Post by Ackee » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Now is not the best time for shopping. because in China, it should be just the celebration of the new year.