STM32 powered multimeter

Anything not related to STM32
racemaniac

STM32 powered multimeter

Postby racemaniac » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:41 pm

I read on EEVBlog that Dave is creating his own multimeter together with a company. He's already using prototypes in his videos, one of the last replies in the thread he said the following about the hardware:
STM32L152D
Schematic and protocols will be open, not sure about firmware.
Standard low cost ST ARM programmer header.

could become a fun device to hack XD (and it'll also have an esp8266 in there for bluetooth connectivity)

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/new-e ... msg1137968

ahull

Re: STM32 powered multimeter

Postby ahull » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Looks like a fun project. If it uses a 50,000 count DMM chip it will also be genuinely useful rather than just a fun thing to hack. Does this mean I will have an excuse to buy yet another multimeter. I'll need to do a DMM head count and figure out how many I already have. I suspect the number is bordering on the mildly obsessional already. One more might push me in to "requires psychiatric advice" territory. ;)

EDIT: OK I'm sure I can fit in at least one more... I only have..
1 x Uni-T 61E - with manufacturers opto-isolated serial and home opto-isolated made USB serial dongles.
2 x Victor VC921 - hacked by my alter ego "itsthatidiotagain" for opto-isolated serial. => https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ ... or-vc-921/ and for 8000 counts.
2 x DT-830B - genuine exploding 2000 count "Chinese fire cracker" multimeters (yellow)
1 x DT-830B - ditto but in blue.
1 x Uni-T "Logic analyser" 2000 count circa 1995?
1 x Victor "Pocket multimeter" origin unknown.
2 x Draper brand Fortune semiconductor based multimeters.
1 x Fluke 17b (in the office)
.. and no doubt a couple of others ...
- Andy Hull -

Pito

Postby Pito » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:14 am

I think the simplest way to get +/- 32000 counts is with ADS1100 - 6pin complete acquisition system.
Works great (mind it has got a fixed i2c address so in case you need several on a single i2c bus you must order chips with different addresses).
I've tried as a high-side current meter with success.
There are other ADS1xxx as well.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 pm

I wonder if this is the project that Dave bought the STM32L4 discovery board for.

Dave did a video about the STM32L4 several months ago, and I can see that the discovery board would be an ideal testbed for this, as it has a large monochrome LCD display.

Part from the someone else ripping off Daves design and producing it more cheaply, I think he would be better off making the firmware open source, on github as it would save him a fortune in dev costs if he just published basic functionality and the community is likely to write loads of enhancements.

Return to “Off topic”