Arduino programmable smart Watch

Anything not related to STM32
RogerClark

Arduino programmable smart Watch

Postby RogerClark » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:45 pm

I know several people have been attempting to build STM32 based smart watches.

I think the nRF51822 is a better processor for a watch as its lower power and has BLE.

To cut a long story short I have ordered this from AliExpress http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fashion- ... 04126.html

It appears to use the nRF51822, and I'm hoping that its basically the same as the one reverse engineered on the espruino forum
http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/280747/

and also one like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale ... 08352.html

So hopefully I will be able to have an Arduino smart watch

testato

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Postby testato » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:19 pm

Interesting post,

why you not buy the same espruino model ?
http://ido-smart.en.alibaba.com/product ... nitor.html

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:54 pm

I didnt look on Alibaba as often the minimum quantity is 10 or even 100

In this case its 2 devices and they seem to accept paypal, so I may see if I can order them.

But shipping cost was not shown, so that may also be a big additional cost.

I get the general impression that this model of watch is being phased our as its very hard to find anywhere that will supply it. And the other ones I have ordered look like they have better physical construction

But I will contact the company on Alibaba and see how much it will cost for 2

zoomx

Postby zoomx » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Min.Order Quantity: 2 Piece/Pieces

I found IDO 003 on Amazon but the price is much more. On Aliexpres is sold out.

IDO 003 is phased out. It is not present on http://www.idoosmart.com/

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:37 pm

I have been in touch with the manufacturer, and it is still in production

The manufacturer told me that the TW64 is the same device, and that it uses the nRF51822, but I wont know for sure until mine arrives.

They told me that the same watch is also sold as a P102. I found some P102 devices on AliExpress for $12, but I can get TW64 for $8 on eBay.

But I really wont know until I actually receive one.

I am also trying to work out a better way to upload to these devices. At the moment you have to take them apart and attach SWD wires, but I want to install a OTA bootloader, and I also want to try to make a dongle using a STM32 which allows the Arduino IDE to upload via USB e.g. perhaps implement USB mass storage on the STM32 and then send this data to a nRF51 acting as the DFU transmitter ( master )

Or perhaps have the STM32 as usbcdc and it can be both upload and for Serial ( for debugging)

But I dont know how many people would be interested in having an Arduino programmable smart watch, as it would require a lot of development time, so I could not make it all open source

mrmonteith

Postby mrmonteith » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Roger,
I wonder if the companies would be interested in your idea of OTA programming feature? It would be a way to keep them up to date.

If I wanted a smart watch to program with I'd prefer something with wi-fi, maybe gps, sms, etc. Seems it would have a lot more possibilities as far as uses. For instance be able to control devices in your home etc from your phone or receive messages from devices. I'm sure people could think of a lot more uses.

But yeah, I agree it would be a lot of work developing the idea with little return for your efforts.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:18 pm

The problem with both WiFi and GPS is the power ( current) needed to run them.

I am not sure if any smartwatches have wifi, but I guess some may.

It would be more practical to build a ESP32 into a BLE to Wifi router.

I know this community is very price sensitive, hence most people seem to be interested in sub $10 watches, and I think this rules out GPS.

OTA should easily be possible, I already have an OTA bootloader ( written by RedBearLabs)

The difficulty is uploading from PC.

Anyway, I will see what arrives in the post over the following weeks and update the forum with any progress

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:40 pm

One of the smart watches I ordered, arrive from AliExpress yesterday.

The model numbers on these things are really confusing.

The packaging had E05-B05 written on it, on a barcode, so I googled for that and found various listings that also quoted the TW64 model code.
So I initially thought I had ordered duplicates, because of the inaccurate descriptions for these products.

However I noticed the watch I received had a heart rate monitor, but the basic TW64 does not have this feature.

Dissassembly was easy. The core of the watch can be removed from the rubber strap, and the back is held on by 4 crosshead screws.

Inside is a nRF51822QFAC (256k flash, 32k RAM), i.e this is the best nRF51822. The board also has both 16Mhz and 32kHz crystals for good timekeeping and low power operation.

On the back of the PCB are pads labelled for SWD and TX and RX .... To easy ;-)

Connecting a JLink revealed the device is read protected (no big surprise), so I had to erase it and then flash the v1.0 (SDK10) S130 softdevice, and I was then able to flash an iBeacon sketch to the watch to confirm BLE etc was working.

I then tried Serial TX and it worked fine (connected to a USB to Serial adaptor)

Goran's test code proved the button pin and vibration pin are also working, and the acceleromter is also working fine.

OLED is almost working, it does display some text but the position is wrong and it keeps moving, which suggests some pixel addressing problem.

I have not started to investigate the heart rate sensor yet, as getting the display to work correctly is the top priority.

And I will post a write up to my blog

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:31 am

In case anyone is interested

The watches I ordered which had the part number TW64 did contain a MCU by Dialog Semiconductors, DA14580.

This was not what I wanted, but interestingly its not the "Qunitex" device that some listings claim

The DA14580 appears to be a Cortext M0 device, but has very little flash, possibly only 32k, but loads of RAM (42k)
As I know nothing about this processor, its a bit of a dead end, but luckily I ordered some more watches which did have the nRF51822 in them.

I'm not sure what I will do with these, possibly actually use them as fitness trackers, or perhaps salvage the internals, or perhaps just use the case for some other smartwatch

racemaniac

Postby racemaniac » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:45 am

I also ordered a few to give this a try :).
One of the suggestions my girlfriend gave as a project i could make for her was a counter for a skipping rope. Reprogramming one of these would be perfect for that XD.

Return to “Off topic”