Arduino programmable smart Watch

Anything not related to STM32
goran.mahovlic

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by goran.mahovlic » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:47 am

Great, Im still waiting my from banggood ...

goran.mahovlic

Post by goran.mahovlic » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:53 am

Does nRFConnect recognize only BLE chips from nordic?

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:21 pm

negcpnnect will look for nordic service uiid codes.

Its technically possible for TI chips to advertise the same UUID, but its unlikely that anyone writing firmware on a TI decice wold do this.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:41 pm

for some reason, i'm reminded of a film about a big store beginning a policy of
'i'm sorry, we don't have that item, i'll check for any store in the area that has it in stock'

stephen

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Recently i also had a quick look at this again (i'm using the I-Own I5-plus watch), but one of the pads came off the pcb as i was working on it, so i ordered a new one which recently arrived.
the iown i5 plus has a nice big screen, and 2 touch areas on the screen so you can swipe, and i confirmed it has an nrf chipset, so i hope to one day get it working and do fun projects with it :).

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:34 pm

racemaniac wrote:Recently i also had a quick look at this again (i'm using the I-Own I5-plus watch), but one of the pads came off the pcb as i was working on it, so i ordered a new one which recently arrived.
the iown i5 plus has a nice big screen, and 2 touch areas on the screen so you can swipe, and i confirmed it has an nrf chipset, so i hope to one day get it working and do fun projects with it :).
If it has a onRF51xxx or nRF52xxx chip on it, you are definitely in luck.

There is good Arduino support for those, using Sandeep's repo, and also Nordic's own SDK has gcc makefiles ( which i use for commercial nRF5 development)

Can you post a link to some info on that watch

Edit.

Looks like there ais info on XDA about that watch and potentially hex files of firmware.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 am

I've posted details about the new ID107HR-Plus on my blog

http://www.rogerclark.net/new-nrf52832- ... available/

Most of the information has been supplied by Curt White

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:37 pm

For anyone interested in this...

The ID107 looking quite promising as a development platform.

There is one large problem, as the watch is glued closed, so has to be cut open, which takes a lot of patience and time.

So I'm currently investigating ways of getting the watch to reset using external stimulus.

I don't want to destroy the watch I have, but I'm thinking of injecting ripple on the USB charging port, to see if I can induce a reset

If anyone has any ideas about that, I'd be interested to hear them

Thanks

ahull

Post by ahull » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:29 pm

Can you mess with its power? If you can run it from a bench supply, then rapid brownouts may crash it in interesting ways, depending on how good its brownout detection is of course. Can you access the crystal? Speeding it up or varying the mark space ratio of the clock may also crash it in interesting ways. Large magnetic fields are also an option, but they do tend to be destructive, and then there is always the coin op cludge, zap it with a piezo lighter, but that is only as a last resort. :?
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Andy,

Unfortunately it's a sealed unit, in an attempt to make it waterproof I think.

I have tried to cut one open, but gave up for the moment, as I was butchering the case.

This model has a built in USB plug, but apparently only 5V and GND are connected, even though the plug also has the USB data a lines.
It has a small lipo cell and built in charger circuit.

So I can't cause a brown out, unless the battery is flatten.

I can't access the clock connections either.

However, my thought is that RF can do strange things to devices, if you expose them to enough of it ;-)

I presume that the RF would be inducing currents inside the device, and changing 0's to 1's and vice versa.

E.g. Stick it in a microwave oven, and I'm pretty sure it would not continue to operate normally, and is likely to reboot ;-)

But that's also likely to turn it into a lump of melted plastic, and would damage the RF side ( Bluetooth )

Where as perhaps If I connected a 32mhz transmitter to the GND , and had the whole thing running off a battery, I may be able to effect the clock to glitch and attempt to read data too fast etc.

I searched the web, but could not find much about this sort of thing.
I found an instructable about using a flash bulb circuit in a disposable camera, and a coil to do something similar, and I recall reading about someone getting a PC to reboot, by basically building a spark transmitter, using a car ignition coil

But the latter is dangerous and inpractical as a reset button ;-)