Arduino programmable smart Watch

Anything not related to STM32
racemaniac

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by racemaniac » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:32 am

RogerClark wrote:I think Cordova (Phone gap) also has some BLE features (so does App Inventor ;-)
I'm a .net developer, so xamarin seems like a good fit :). after some installation woes, i easily got one of the demo projects running on the built in emulator, and could also easily make an apk from it that i could run on my mobile phone :).
and being able to use visual studio & .net is always nice :). great environment and great language :D

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:41 am

I've not used xamarin but its got a good reputation

I'd probably end up doing an Ardroid App in Java if I needed to. (though its been a while since I did any Java)

I occasionally do some iOS dev, but I've not switched to Swift, as I do it do rarely, that its easier for me to use Objective C.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:31 pm

RogerClark wrote:However at the moment our OLED code does not run with it (because of the mbed stuff), and also Sandeep's repo does not include BLE examples (they are in a separate repo on his github account) and the BLE examples e.g. the Beacon seem to have problems and take too much power (according to what Goran has told me)

So..

Continue to use the repo which works for you, as its good enough to understand how the watch works, and also you can play with the BLE examples as they also work on the watch e.g. make it a iBeacon if you want, or perhaps merge the UART demo and send messages to the display ;-)
I'll give it a try this weekend to port the oled to the newest nrf51 framework

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:59 pm

OK

It shouldnt be too hard to port it.

It has some confusing mbed things, e.g the GPIO pin variables are actually objects (classes) so changing the value, changes the GPIO pin output.
(this confused me for a while !)

I think the SPI code is very similar to normal Arduino.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:05 am

RogerClark wrote:OK

It shouldnt be too hard to port it.

It has some confusing mbed things, e.g the GPIO pin variables are actually objects (classes) so changing the value, changes the GPIO pin output.
(this confused me for a while !)

I think the SPI code is very similar to normal Arduino.
indeed, the pin object that use the = operator overload to write to the pins were... a bit too creative for me too XD

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:42 am

RogerClark wrote:With the watch you linked to, I recall reading about it, and the USB connector was only for charging, which is a shame, as it may be possible to run VUSB on the nRF51 ( though I dont think anyone has actually done it)

I was thinking about buying one like that which has a landscape orientation screen, as the screen is physically bigger ( wider ) so I think it has double the number of pixels of the others.

But I dont think I will risk ordering from that page, I will find one ( albeit a few dollars more expensive) which lists the watch as containing the nRF51
I went for it, and ordered one of the watches with a bigger display (after reading an xda topic on it that all known versions of it contain the nrf51822), and even though not explicitely mentioned, it indeed contains the nrf51822 :)
i ordered from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-Ori ... 36761.html

it was a bit tricky to disassemble, it's not screwed shut but glued. but heating it with my heat gun, and slowly prying off the touchscreen with a small screwdriver nicely opened it up :)
then the pcb's connection to the usb plug is also a bit nasty, it's glued & (and maybe also lightly soldered?) against it (without wires), but gently lifting the pcb got it loose without actually breaking anything it seems XD (the pads are still on the pcb). (maybe i just got lucky :p)
and then i gently pried the lcd loose since all the pads to connect it to a programmer appear to be under it. all in all i had it nicely disassembled in a couple of minutes, and can start seeing if it uses the same lcd & motion chips as the other watches, and if we can reprogram it :)

for the price it's quite a nice device XD.

And i haven't come around to porting the lcd library to the better arduino framework yet >_<. the watches are bit on a sidetrack atm >_<

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks for the detailed description.

It sounds like its not an easy job.

I have ordered another smartwath, which is supposed to use the nRF52, but I wont know for sure if thats whats in it until it arrives, and I have a feeling it may be hard to take apart.

But I will post an update when it arrives.

I've not had any time to look at my existing nRF51 based watches for several weeks, as the STM Arduino Core has been taking up a lot of my spare time.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 pm

btw, also interesting about the watch with the bigger screen: it has 2 capacitative touchbuttons on its surface, to allow you to make swipe movements on the watch :)
pretty nice :)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:32 pm

racemaniac wrote:btw, also interesting about the watch with the bigger screen: it has 2 capacitative touchbuttons on its surface, to allow you to make swipe movements on the watch :)
pretty nice :)
Thats a great addition.

I found having one capacitive button on the front was far better than the tiny push button on the side, so 2 buttons is even better.

BTW. The nRF52 watch I ordered is this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182341391730

It makes some mention of "waterproof" in the details, so I have a feeling it may also be hard to assemble.

I can't tell if it has 2 cap sensors, I can only see 1 thing on small circle on the front which is probably a touch sensor

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:12 am

I'm also wondering how hard it is to program these watches via bluetooth DFU. It would mean we'd only have to open up 1 watch to inspect its hardware, and can then develop software we can upload on watches that haven't been harmed by us opening them up XD.