Arduino programmable smart Watch

Anything not related to STM32
racemaniac
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:09 am

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by racemaniac » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:14 am

@roger: do you have a heat gun/hot air solder station?
the last watch i opened was also glued shut, so i slowly heated it with my heat gun and carefully pried the edges until the glue loosened, and like that i could easily open it without damaging it. (and then the screen was glued to the pcb, so that was also some careful prying to separate them >_<)

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 7438
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by RogerClark » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:45 am

The problem is not so much opening it in the first place, but having to open it each time I want to flash new firmware

I can install a DFU bootloader, but in order to run the bootloader the watch needs to be reset.

Well, it can be reset in software via BLE, but if the sketch crashes, then its impossible to reflash without taking it apart.

So I'm trying to work out if there is a way to induce a reboot by external means.

I had considered trying to cut some small additional holes in the watch and have pads to connect the SWD, or in this instance a pad connected to reset, but its hard to make a neat job of modifying these very small devices.

Hence why I'm looking for a non-invasive solution / hack

racemaniac
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:09 am

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by racemaniac » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:17 pm

RogerClark wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:45 am
The problem is not so much opening it in the first place, but having to open it each time I want to flash new firmware

I can install a DFU bootloader, but in order to run the bootloader the watch needs to be reset.

Well, it can be reset in software via BLE, but if the sketch crashes, then its impossible to reflash without taking it apart.

So I'm trying to work out if there is a way to induce a reboot by external means.

I had considered trying to cut some small additional holes in the watch and have pads to connect the SWD, or in this instance a pad connected to reset, but its hard to make a neat job of modifying these very small devices.

Hence why I'm looking for a non-invasive solution / hack
indeed, for long term that would be ideal
i'm wondering about the i5 plus i'm intending to use, there is a huge XDA thread about development on it, maybe i can find something there to flash my binaries on it via their tools :)

jaromir
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:50 pm

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by jaromir » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:38 pm

RogerClark wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:45 am
The problem is not so much opening it in the first place, but having to open it each time I want to flash new firmware
I can install a DFU bootloader, but in order to run the bootloader the watch needs to be reset.
Well, it can be reset in software via BLE, but if the sketch crashes, then its impossible to reflash without taking it apart.
So I'm trying to work out if there is a way to induce a reboot by external means.
From the pictures I can't tell, but perhaps you can fit small hall sensor or even reed switch and tie it to reset pin. This way you could reset the device by holding a magnet near the clock case. You need to open the case at least once to install the magnetic sensor, though - but still better than opening it again for reflashing.

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 7438
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by RogerClark » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:01 pm

The reed switch to reset is a good idea, but if I have to open the watch, I may ask well solder the SWD pins to USB D+ and D-, so it could be programmed using a special USB cable.

I was hoping to find a way to reset without ever needing to open the watch, because some watches are glued together and taking them apart always damages them slightly

manu84
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:42 am

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by manu84 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 am

Hello,

I am Emmanuel from France.
I read all these post and also the Roger's blog, and I am very interesting in the ID107 HR plus.

So, Roger, actually is it possible to program it as you do for the ID100HR (by direct connections to the board?)
I saw also you search a way to reset it without opening the case. I will order one, and I could work on if you want (could you explain the trick if reseting to download code inside?)

Emmanuel.

manu84
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:42 am

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by manu84 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:05 am

Also do you know this watch, seller claim it use nrf51822..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EgoCSM- ... st=ae803_3

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 7438
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by RogerClark » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:25 am

manu84 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:05 am
Also do you know this watch, seller claim it use nrf51822..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EgoCSM- ... st=ae803_3
I would not trust the MCU listed in these adverts.

I bought 2 watches claiming to have nRF52832 in them, but they both had a completely different MCU

You may be luckly, but its really impossible to know until you open the watch and look inside

manu84
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:42 am

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by manu84 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:35 am

It's look like there are a way to use ota - dfu on windows :

https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/question ... n-windows/

Is it correct?

could it work with the ID107 HR plus?

Emmanuel

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 7438
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Arduino programmable smart Watch

Post by RogerClark » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:21 pm

manu84 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:35 am
It's look like there are a way to use ota - dfu on windows :

https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/question ... n-windows/

Is it correct?

could it work with the ID107 HR plus?

Emmanuel
Thanks for the link.

In terms of whether it could be made to work with that watch...

Well, most things are possible in software, but you would probably need to load different firmware inside the watch first. And you would need to open it and connect SWD wires

Post Reply