STM32duino Change VendorId

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
hyur
Answers: 2

STM32duino Change VendorId

Post by hyur »

Can I edit vendorID or productID of stm32duino?

If go to "tool -get Board Info" in the Arduino IDE,
You can get board information related to STM32.

Can the Vendor ID or Product ID be modified through ST's software?

Please let me know if there is a way
by hyur » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:11 am
Yes, it is. Those bootloaders are open-source, so you have to download source code, edit VID and PID, compile it and flash to board.
Then, if you want to use it to upload programs to board, you have to change those in files used to flash programs. It might be just editing some files, but it might again need downloading source code, changing it and compiling.
@GonzoG

Your advice is of great help to me.
Thank you.
Go to full post
GonzoG
Answers: 27

Re: STM32duino Change VendorId

Post by GonzoG »

Not through software.
Those data are in USB descriptor and it's in MCU firmware so it's the only place where you need to change them.
But if you change them, you will also might loose USB connection to PC, as those values are one of few things that PC system use to assign drivers to devices.
hyur

Post by hyur »

@GonzoG

I want to change the vendor ID, but I can't find the root.

Could you please tell me the route?
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

the usual places to search are platform.txt, boards.txt and the source codes
hyur

Post by hyur »

@ag123 @GonzoG

After changing VID:1EAF to 1EBF among the contents of boards.txt and executing compiling, I can clearly see that the IDE searches for a device of 1EBF.

This fact helps me, but there is another problem that I want to solve fundamentally.
I uploaded the bootloader using generic_boot20_pc13.bin, but I want to change the VID and PID or manufacturer name of the board when uploading this bootloader.

is this possible?
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

normally VID/PID aren't important, during programming simply recognize a fixed VID/PID. as simple as that.
if you change the VID/PID the programmers likely won't work.

or simply use a stm device with built-in DFU, it solves the problem
GonzoG
Answers: 27

Post by GonzoG »

hyur wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:48 am @ag123 @GonzoG

After changing VID:1EAF to 1EBF among the contents of boards.txt and executing compiling, I can clearly see that the IDE searches for a device of 1EBF.

This fact helps me, but there is another problem that I want to solve fundamentally.
I uploaded the bootloader using generic_boot20_pc13.bin, but I want to change the VID and PID or manufacturer name of the board when uploading this bootloader.

is this possible?
Yes, it is. Those bootloaders are open-source, so you have to download source code, edit VID and PID, compile it and flash to board.
Then, if you want to use it to upload programs to board, you have to change those in files used to flash programs. It might be just editing some files, but it might again need downloading source code, changing it and compiling.
hyur

Post by hyur »

@GonzoG

Your advice is of great help to me.
Thank you.

Return to “General discussion”