zmemw16

Re: Yet another ...yet another "Pi killer"

Post by zmemw16 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:47 am

stereo vision ?

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:47 pm

They dont seem to list the price.

Strangely, although I have an RPI 1 and a Zero and the latest version, I never seem to have a project that can make use of them.
Probably because of the price, as it seems extremely wasteful to use a RPi zero to do a job that a BluePill is capable of.

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Speaking of other useful and less costly devices...

I went hunting for my daughters microbit today... she informed me that she 'lost it' with her pencil case :/
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:18 pm

BennehBoy wrote:Speaking of other useful and less costly devices...

I went hunting for my daughters microbit today... she informed me that she 'lost it' with her pencil case :/
BTW.

I'm currently designing a board using the nRF52840, (64Mhz, Cortex M4F , 1M flash and 256k RAM) which is the latest generation of the processor used in the microbit

I'm looking at a similar form factor to the Blue pill, but it looks like it needs to be longer, because it has 46 GPIO's (well it has 48 but 2 are shared with the real time clock crystal, so I wasn't going to break those out to the pins, in case it stopped the RTC oscillator working.

I'm still working out how much these are going to cost to make / sell, but it should be less than the microbit when though the processor is years ahead of the one used on the Microbit (as that's cortex M0, 16Mhz, 256k flash, 16k RAM)

ahull

Post by ahull » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:24 pm

I think they missed their target slightly with the microbit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediap ... obit/specs
It is not bad, but.... I think they could have managed more bang for their bucks, and maybe even a small TFT instead of the led array.
EDIT: I would also be interested to see how well they survive the rigours of sticky fingers and pencil cases.
- Andy Hull -

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:30 pm

RogerClark wrote:
I'm currently designing a board using the nRF52840, (64Mhz, Cortex M4F , 1M flash and 256k RAM) which is the latest generation of the processor used in the microbit
Sweet.
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:32 pm

ahull wrote:I think they missed their target slightly with the microbit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediap ... obit/specs
It is not bad, but.... I think they could have managed more bang for their bucks, and maybe even a small TFT instead of the led array.
IMHO the design was never that good. I wonder how many micro usb sockets got torn off the board. And how many of them got shorted out because of the massive copper contacts / terminals / edge connector.

I bet they got the BLE processor for cost price from Nordic, based on the advertising exposure etc

Choice of using separate accelerometer and magnetometer seems odd. I'm sure that one of the parts from ST like the LIS3DH would have been cheaper.

So even at the latest price of £12, someone is making a lot of money out of these

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 pm

BennehBoy wrote:
RogerClark wrote:
Sweet.

I finished the schematic yesterday (though it needs to be checked a few times)

I'll probably start the PCB design today

Luckily Nordic Semiconductor offer free checking of schematics and also PCB design, which is really important, as bluetooth antenna design is not one of my skillsets, so I'm just going to need to copy the reference design PCB as closely as possible and hopefully they will be able to tell me if I've stuffed the antenna design, and if so, how to fix it !

PS. Should run from USB, or Lipo or coin cell, depending on where you connect the supply.

The one down side with the nRF5x series processors is that they can't supply as much current on the GPIO as MCU's like the STM32 (or the AVR for that matter)
Total current on all GPIO's is 15mA (this can be 1 pin or a total of all of them)

But I don't think its a big issue

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:31 pm

I saw a video on youtube yesterday for ASUS tinker board... I think it was... That came close to being a Pi killer.... But while it wasnt really faster, it had higher spec and had some better hardware... Better GPU and high res audio as well...

If I was building a Android based in car computer (which I might be doing in the future) I might consider it or something similar over the pi, but mostly because of the higher end GPU and Audio...

Would anything ever be a real Pi killer? no, Pis corner in the market is its competitive low price and support. Its geared more towards the teaching end of the market... The other boards have far less support, and are often double the price of the Pi...

Besides nothing will kill the Pi... its the first. Its the classic, its the one that made it all happen in the first place.