My first PCB at ELECROW...

Anything not related to STM32
Just4Fun

My first PCB at ELECROW...

Post by Just4Fun » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:24 am

Hi all,
this is my first test of the Elecrow service, using the 5pcs 2-layers PCB at 4.9$ offer (max 10x10cm).

The PCB was designed using Kicad with a minimum track width/clearance of 7/7 mils.

The total cost was 4.9$ + 6.42$ (shipment) = 11.32$ using the cheapest shipping option. It took exactly 21 days from the files sent to the packet in my hands (Italy), so it was a "fast" delivery for a cheap shipping method.

The PCB quality seems ok, but I haven't the time to check it (with the microscope and electrically) for now.

Because this thing uses a STM32F103 (maple mini clone) as "stimulus generator" for the CPLD, if the whole thing works ( :lol: ) I'll pubblish here the details...

Cheers

Pito

Re: My first PCB at ELECROW...

Post by Pito » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:59 am

Nice! What CPLD you work with?
Ok I see Altera on the Jtag..
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:07 am

Maybe interesting to have a topic comparing PCB shops

Here is my second batch of pcb's from DirtyPCBs

Also made with KiCad, with a minimum track width/clearance of 6/6 mils.
Total cost (incl shipping) was 25$, for a protopack of +-10 of 10x10cm pcb's (i received 12).

My reason for going with DirtyPCBs
- they allow you to go a bit smaller than others (6/6 clearance, 25 or 24 mil via's, don't quite remember)
- if you panelize as above with mousebites, it's no extra charge for 2 layer boards. And if make maple mini size boards... it becomes really cheap per board (although, i must admit i may have a few too many boards now :p. and it's still prototypes ^^)

I was also thinking that maybe we should have a thread about designing our own pcb's + how we populate/solder them

Just4Fun

Post by Just4Fun » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:18 am

Pito wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:59 am
Nice! What CPLD you work with?
Ok I see Altera on the Jtag..
Hi, I've used an EPM240T100C5N (Altera Max II CPLD). It is the cheapest CPLD with a decent numbers of elements I've found "around" (about 1$ each)...

The whole thing should cost about 5/6$ (PBC not included).
Last edited by Just4Fun on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just4Fun

Post by Just4Fun » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 am

racemaniac wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:07 am
Yap, I agree...
Here is my second batch of pcb's from DirtyPCBs

Also made with KiCad, with a minimum track width/clearance of 6/6 mils.
Total cost (incl shipping) was 25$, for a protopack of +-10 of 10x10cm pcb's (i received 12).

My reason for going with DirtyPCBs
- they allow you to go a bit smaller than others (6/6 clearance, 25 or 24 mil via's, don't quite remember)
- if you panelize as above with mousebites, it's no extra charge for 2 layer boards. And if make maple mini size boards... it becomes really cheap per board (although, i must admit i may have a few too many boards now :p. and it's still prototypes ^^)
Nice! I didn't know that! However it seems that some people aren't happy with them... and I suspect that they do the job using various companies...
But your PCBs seem absolutely ok, and free panelization is great!
I was also thinking that maybe we should have a thread about designing our own pcb's + how we populate/solder them
I agree too...

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:39 am

Just4Fun wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 am
racemaniac wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:07 am
Yap, I agree...

Nice! I didn't know that! However it seems that some people aren't happy with them... and I suspect that they do the job using various companies...
But your PCBs seem absolutely ok, and free panelization is great!

I agree too...
I also read some people having issues with dirtypcb's, but my experiences so far (and what i see on their forums), is very good.
Sometimes people do receive below par pcb's (i checked their forums), but they won't fuss and refund you, or remake them (shit happens, it's cheap and from china), and my pcb's so far came out very good (and i'm going right down to the smallest they allow, and even a bit beyond that on my first pcb).
For example: my first pcb had 16mil vias (way smaller than what they allow, their eaglecad rules have it set at 24 or 25 mil), and the silkscreen lines were too thin (the default of kicad is smaller than what they request). They just made it, and everything was ok, comparing that to hearing stories from elecrow/other manufactures about having to change your pcb a few times because a trace is too close to the border or whatever else they're not happy about, that felt like great service for a newbie like me XD.

And for the thread about making your own pcb's, i just created it in this offtopic forum :). Started with how i'm currently working (but i only started doing this a couple of months ago, so i'm also still fairly new to this all XD).