Linux Journal

Anything not related to STM32
zmemw16

Linux Journal

Post by zmemw16 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:28 pm

ahull

Re: Linux Journal

Post by ahull » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:34 am

All the old news stand favourites are struggling or have gone. Its a tough time to be in niche market publishing.

Anybody remember ETI (merged in to Everyday Practical Electronics) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroni ... ernational
Computer Weekly (still alive, but online only) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Weekly
PC Plus - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Plus

.. and many others too numerous to mention. Some survive, for example Elektor, but it is always a little sad when when one of the old stalwarts gives up the struggle.
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:33 am

We still have "Australian PC" (APC) over here, but I only read it in the library, as most of it is just reviews of graphics cards or keyboards or get another first person shooter game (yawn)

I got suckered into buying another magazine while on a weekend break, (I forget what its called), and found it was by the same publishing company with the same editor, and re-hashing stories from APC magazine

So that was a waste of a fiver UK ($10 AUD)

I think its good that Elektor is still going, but its projects all used to be a bit too complex for me, and I have enough self generated projects to last a lifetime 10 x over.

ag123

Post by ag123 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:53 am

sad, i've been a keen follower, it is one of the earliest journals on linux
before android came to being, there is linux and android runs on linux

the other thing i missed much as well is dr dobbs
http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and ... /240169421

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:35 pm

DDJ was always a bit highbrow for me :-)
also had to get Smiths to order it for you, sad intro to the $1 ==> £1 conversion rate.
there was a time LJ was the same, then i subscribed for some years for postal, when it went digital. then it seemed to lose something apart from the paper.
i've still got all my LJ from 1 onwards, in all honesty condition would be poor, aka exceedingly well thumbed :lol:
stephen

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:46 pm

A tear shed and life goes on...

I was trained in UNIX System 5, so that shows my age. At that time, AT&T controlled UNIX. It is easy to write about something when there is only one color to describe. But with Linux, there are many colors and the distributions are fragmented along multiple architectural lines: Puppy to Raspberry Pi. Trying to captivate a diverse audience with enough reading material to make everyone happy is simply not economically; which is to say, some readers will feel cheated if their flavor of Linux is not well represented and will not renew their subscriptions. Eventually, it is a downward spiral as the subscriptions diminish there is less revenue and less opportunity to generate quality articles.

The price for advertisements and the entire ecosystem around adverts and cash flow is the magazines circulation numbers.

I certainly do not have a crystal ball and my Gypsy consultant has moved on to reading palms in downtown Atlanta, but I would venture to guess that published-on-paper magazines will continue to collapse: publishing on paper is not environmentally friendly and materials, printing, and distribution costs are on the rise and while this old goat used to love to sit back with a cold beer and read a technical publication, I have evolved to get my techno-buzz from online sites... not a single magazine is delivered anymore. When put in prospective, the wife no longer harps on my stack of magazines in the living room so in some respects not getting paper magazines has improved my life. Plus, beer is more expensive than ever so the money saved on subscriptions helps to offset the increase cost of my brew.

Ray

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:25 pm

perhaps it's time to invest the|some savings into home brew equipment ?
srp

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:31 pm

zmemw16 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:25 pm
perhaps it's time to invest the|some savings into home brew equipment ?
srp
Yea ... that thought has come to mind more than once ...

ag123

Post by ag123 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:03 pm

there is something common between linux, arduino, stm32duino
and it is actually more than open source
the first time when i installed a linux distribution on a *386* pc using *floppies*, the most amazing and fun thing then is that 'i've my own (un*x) os', back then un*x used to be run on expensive dec, sun, apollo and sgi workstations, having linux (un*x) on a pc is 'disruptive* it changed the status quo. no longer is windows and ms dos the only (public) desktop os. i can run my own mail server, domain name server etc, back then in the windows world it is a privilege of the 'servers' unless of course one downloads and run shareware / freeware versions of those.

back then and for a long time connecting to diy custom peripherals is pretty much rs232 16550 uart etc. then come usb, and for the longest time there is no 'user custom-able usb', vlsi are expensive short of buying in bulk. many resort to usb-serial converters. today comes leaflabs maple, stm32duino it is 'disruptive' in a similar light, user customizable usb is now a reality. a blue pill, maple mini's role can be simply re-defined uploading a sketch or firmware. in a sense stm32 could just 'spoof' any usb vid/pid and mimic whatever device one deems fit. similarly with things like nrf51822 makes bluetooth le 'user customizable'. i'm not sure how long this niche trend would last, but i'd guess this is part of that 'iot' hype along with the RPis, beaglebone blacks, arduinos, micro:bit, and all that n variety of mcu boards and single board computers.

but i'd guess 'iot' is simply a buzzword to the 'average' man on the street probably ignored just as the 'average' crowd seemed pretty happy with the notion that computers runs windows, phones runs android or ios, while things like linux, arduino (etc) simply co-existed below the 'noise floor'

OT: on a side note things like stm32duino could literally outdo the million monkey theorem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem
with the help of things like AI, deep learning etc, stm32duino could simply mimic a 3 in 1 device usb serial, keyboard, mice, it receives 'AI' instructions over usb serial, spoofs as the keyboard and mice and conjure the works of an other worldly william shakespheare

RogerL

Post by RogerL » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

I just read the closure announcement on the initial link and noticed that it now has 578 Likes. I am still trying to figure this out!!!!????????

I used to publish a hobby magazine myself and when I finally gave up the unequal struggle I got deluged with messages of support like they have --- much of it from people who had been "meaning to take out/renew a subscription" and would certainly do so if I restarted the magazine. People just don't value these things until its too late.