by-passing the arduino-e-ness?

Development of new Cores using the STMCubeMX and HAL
RogerClark

Re: by-passing the arduino-e-ness?

Post by RogerClark » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:34 pm

mrburnette wrote: ......
The very cheap price of the ESP8266 is now driving me to investigate the device much more - with the RF section disabled!
Ray
(I suppose slightly off topic...)

But, I had the same thought, however from what I've read, even if you use the command to set the WIFI_NONE mode (I think thats what its called)...
Apparently it still seems to run the Wifi hardware, as the current consumption doesn't drop.

Not that this would necessarily cause problems in most cases

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:22 am

RogerClark wrote:
But, I had the same thought, however from what I've read, even if you use the command to set the WIFI_NONE mode (I think thats wha-t its called)... Apparently it still seems to run the Wifi hardware, as the current consumption doesn't drop.
Not that this would necessarily cause problems in most cases
It is a documented issue:
http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=4#p34924

I'm expecting it to be"fixed" shortly. At $2.27 each for 12-E, the price is right.

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:08 am

Ray.

I'd seen that posting when I was investigating the possibility of the Wifi interfering with the Bluetooth.

Re: Cost

Yes. Very cheap for a 80MHz processor with lots of memory (4M)

With the 12E I noticed it has SPI, but I'm not sure if that supply supported yet by Ivan (Arduino ESP8266), I wanted to hook up am ILI9341 but it looks the the previous examples didnt use he 12E's SPI pins, it was just bit banging the GPIO (and I'm already using most of the ESP-12's GPIO for LED's and buttons. So attaching to the 12E's dedicated SPI pins was attractive

BTW. I also wanted to possible use the ESP for a AC power dimmer, but I was concerned in case the overhead of the wifi would screw up the interrupts which occur at 100 times a sec for me (120 times a sec for you) and need to be handles straight away to control a Triac (via opto triac etc)

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:07 am

RogerClark wrote: Yes. Very cheap for a 80MHz processor with lots of memory (4M)
<...>
With the 12E I noticed it has SPI, but I'm not sure if that supply supported yet by Ivan (Arduino ESP8266), I wanted to hook up am ILI9341 but it looks the the previous examples didnt use he 12E's SPI pins, it was just bit banging the GPIO (and I'm already using most of the ESP-12's GPIO for LED's and buttons. So attaching to the 12E's dedicated SPI pins was attractive
<...>
Ah, I wanted h/w SPI but have not had time to work with the code yet. However, here is why I believe we will be successful: http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2413

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:50 am

I think SPI is probably on Ivan's to do list.

I must admit however that as those postings are about 9 months old, I'm surprised I have not seen any code published for hardware SPI

I guess I'll need to stay with the bit banged version for the time being, just using the new ESP-12E pins

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:29 am

if you look for adapter plates,you'll find the 12E plate adapter doesn't expose the short edge pins; all the adverts show the ESP12 variant.
sadly that's what you get regardless, although i had placed the order with a message on the topic.

at approx 10p a pop, so now i've 20 of the bleep things.

there's a comment in schematic i have using an ESP-12E, that those pins are dedicated to flash spi and not available to the user. not followed that up as yet.

srp

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:03 pm

zmemw16 wrote:if you look for adapter plates,you'll find the 12E plate adapter doesn't expose the short edge pins; all the adverts show the ESP12 variant.
sadly that's what you get regardless, although i had placed the order with a message on the topic.

at approx 10p a pop, so now i've 20 of the bleep things.

there's a comment in schematic i have using an ESP-12E, that those pins are dedicated to flash spi and not available to the user. not followed that up as yet.

srp
@srp: Affirmative

My rather crude solution:
1) Take an small breadboard (I have one I use for soldering, etc.) and a 6-pin header.
2) Gently start with the 2 inside pins (3 & 4) bending them to match the ESP8266-12E
3) Continue with pins 2 & 5
4) Continue with pins 1 & 6 being careful to bend sideways and vertical
5) Tin the header pins and fill the fillets on the ESP8266-12E with solder. Use extra flux if necessary.
6) Using a board clamp or 3-arm, solder the header vertically to the ESP8266-12E
7) Inspect that the pins are in the fillets and that you have no bridged pins and that no solder has reached between the pins and the tin-can shield on the ESP8266.
8) Use an industrial quick-set epoxy to fill between the header pins. A toothpick will assist you to make certain that the fillet of epoxy covers the solder fillets, the pins, and back to the tin-can shield and up to the header spacer.

High res pixs:
The 6-pin header bent to mate with the ESP module

Header affixed as a vertical connector for use with Dupont female cables
DSCF1967_web.jpg
DSCF1967_web.jpg (37.14 KiB) Viewed 935 times
Ray

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:19 pm

@Ray
nice pictures. looks like your 12E is already soldered to the plate.

however mine aren't, first guess for me would be ... ...
tin and solder fill as above. bend header pins as required, (?) right angle header, minor snipping on inner pins(?) and twist pins (?)
so insert header into breadboard, find a packing piece, align and orientate the module.
tack preferably the outer pair.
continue as suggested as above

i've just raised an applicable topic in General Discussion ;)

stephen