Problem uploading to STM32F103C8T6 board

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Re: Problem uploading to STM32F103C8T6 board

Post by mrburnette »

mrburnette wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:15 pm ...
I have placed an order, will test with the IDE basic upload, generic sketches, serial, etc. At this time, I have not read any posts that suggest it will not work with the Arduino IDE using a DFU upload or serially using the built-in bootloader.

I have the same concerns regarding 100% comparability, only testing will tell. ...
They came in the afternoon post, 10 anti-static sealed boards with all hardware (I requested it loose.) The package was rolled interspersed with bubble wrap. I even got a "free gift", 1 elastic disposable, one-wear face mask. Hopefully it was not intended that I put on the mask before I unwrapped the boards :o

I have one of the boards out on the work bench and will solder the headers in a day or two. I pulled out an original "blue pill" that has been used over the years successfully without incident; it has no bootloader, is programmed by a serial-USB using the serial silicon hardware internal to the STM32F103, and will be used as my benchmark device. I tested it today with my blink-n-count sketch, it works correctly with Roger's github core and my 18.3 Linux Mint i7 EliteBook running the current ArduinoIDE.

More in a few days. Nothing too intense, but I plan on testing I2C and SPI with whatever may be on the workbench... likely an ILI934x, a BMP180, etc. I will not make a recommendation on purchase, however, as this is not a STM manufactured uC. At present, I am thinking of a "with sketch" it either passed or failed using Roger's core and ArduinoIDE. I wrote many example sketches early on in the port days while on the Arduino.cc forum; perhaps dust 'em off and run. Do not expect benchmarking.

Added: Seems some effort has been made in this area:
viewtopic.php?p=2830#p2830

Funny, I did notice that Robodyn has lowered the price again! But, I have read some other forum chatter about increases in outside-China postage rates.

Ray

I am continuing this in a new thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=441
Last edited by mrburnette on Sat May 23, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

Duco wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:35 pm I need a small sized board for my project so a 'black pill' https://robotdyn.com/catalog/developmen ... ields.html should fit my requirements and it is said to be supported. But wouldn't I still have the same problem then if my programmer is broken?
Also I think I am a bit lost in what a 'bootloader' actually is, can you maybe link to a good explanation as to what they are?.
i tend to find robotdyn's boards of decent/good quality but if you are starting with stm32, get a real stm32 from them, don't get those 'apm32' etc compatibles. it is a slight premium but a 'real' board at least give some assurance that you are not on 'the road less traveled'

that 'libmaple usb dfu bootloader' actually has its history here
https://www.leaflabs.com/maple
http://docs.leaflabs.com/docs.leaflabs.com/index.html
it is an interesting read for those starting out especially for those interested in the libmaple core. today there is the official core (HAL based) (created by fpiSTM and team) that supports many of ST original nucleo and discovery boards in addition to boards 'in the wild'

stm32f103c{8,b} typically needs a st-link-v2 (or some equivalent jtag/swd programmer) or a usb-uart ttl/3.3v to program it
https://www.st.com/resource/en/applicat ... ronics.pdf
in fact a 'boot loader' isn't necessary if you have a st-link v2 or usb-uart dongle. your program/firmware/sketch simply sits at 0x8000000 start of flash

but it is still a hassle of needing an 'extra' dongle. leaf labs created the original 'libmaple' usb-dfu boot loader, roger improved much on it
and it lets you program (i.e. 'download' sketches) on the *maple mini* (and later the 'blue pills' stm32f103c8) boards without needing that 'extra' dongle
feluga

Post by feluga »

Duco wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 am My LED is blinking with any combination of jumpers... I guess that's a bad thing then.

Most STM32F103 development boards come with a pre installed blink program. I think it is part of QA process.
For me, when I open a bag with a brand new bluepill and plug it to USB to turn it on, it starts blinking its LED, thus I think your STMF103 is fine.

I use ST-Link to program bluepills. I've never had any issue and using STM32 ST-Link Utitlity helps a lot for understanding issues, booting with RESET pressed, erasing the flash, enabling flash banks etc.

Maybe it is worth to buy one ST-Link, it's very cheap.
g_angelini

Post by g_angelini »

io ho avuto lo stesso problema caricavo il bootloader da STLINK riuscivo caricare lo sketch una sola volta, dopo di che la usb non veniva più riconosciuta ho risolto spostando jumper boot1 ad 1 ,riportandolo a zero dopo aver caricato lo sketch e disconnesso la scheda per luso normale.
feluga

Post by feluga »

g_angelini wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:37 am io ho avuto lo stesso problema caricavo il bootloader da STLINK riuscivo caricare lo sketch una sola volta, dopo di che la usb non veniva più riconosciuta ho risolto spostando jumper boot1 ad 1 ,riportandolo a zero dopo aver caricato lo sketch e disconnesso la scheda per luso normale.
I use Roger's bootloader and also see the issue you are describing. Actually it's exatctly how it works, because this USB bootloader when uploaded using STLINK it will force the Bluepill to only start on Bootloader mode making the PC to recognize the USB port.

After loading a new sketch using USB bootloader, the Bluepill will reset and start the USB bootloader for just a second and then right away start the new loaded sketch. USB bootloader will keep running after reset only when the BOOT1 strap (not BOOT0) is changed to 1 (that usually yellow strap on the board - linked to PA2, beside reset button). So to enter into BootLoader mode again instead of the already loaded sketch, you must change the position of this strap and then reset the board. This way it will stay in USB Boot Loader State after reseted (with BOOT1 in 1).

Another way to use it with no change on the Yellow BOOT1 Strap, is to reset the board (using reset button) right when Arduino IDE Message Window (bottom space in the IDE) says it is trying to upload the binary. Doing so, the Bluepill will reset and stay in USB bootloader for a second, time enough to let the Arduino IDE start to upload the sketch.

Hope it works for you!

Return to “General discussion”