Re: Introducing the new delivery for STM

Post by RogerClark » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks Rick

danieleff

Post by danieleff » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:35 am

Wi6Labs wrote:Roger,

ST developed the NUCLEO board support for:
  • STM32F103RBT6 STM32F303RET6 STM32F429ZIT6 STM32L476RG STM32F091RCT6 STM32L053R8T6
Wi6Labs team
Are these available for download anywhere (other than F1/L4 currently on github.com/stm32duino)? (Are these used anywhere now?)
Does ST plan to continue development (on their own or this github repository)?

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:45 am

Daniel

The only source code released by STM, so far, has been for the Nucleo F103RB and the Nucleo L4 boards

My understanding is that they will release the source code for the other boards they listed, but that's all they are going to do.
There are no plans to create "boards" (variants) for the Discovery series boards, let alone any generic boards or the Maple mini etc.

Unfortunately, it seems that the structure of the STM Core has not been designed with supporting mutliple boards using variants of the same MCU.

So we are going to have to work out how to do this ourselves, and probably re-factor the code.
But of course we need to try to not break the operation of the Nucleo boards which STM have already tested and verified is working.

Hence I'm in the process of making complete copies of the folder that is used to generate the Nucleo F103RB, so that we can make radical modifications to it if necessary.

Note. Actually, we'll need to change the Nucleo F103RB code as well, as Rick has already found an error in the linker file.
But I expect we will keep changes to a minimum so that they are only bug fixes.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:21 pm

Pito

Post by Pito » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:27 pm

I doubt STM will pay a single cent to someone to support boards other than Nucleos or Discovery..
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

RogerL

Post by RogerL » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:56 pm

I have been away off-grid for the last week so have missed most of the excitement. I have a couple of questions:

I see the Nucleo STM32L476RG is one of the supported boards. Has anyone on here got one working with the new core?

What is the situation with libraries. If I wanted to use, say, existing Arduino wire, MIDI and I2C LCD libraries, are they likely to work without too much hassle?

Sorry if these are basic questions. I was about to start a new project based on a Mega 2560 board but am concerned about whether I will have enough program space so am reviewing my options. My current STM32 experience is limited to loading blink programs on F103 boards.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:04 pm

I dont think one person may have tried the L4 nucleo, but I cant remember who.
( but I could be mistaken)

STM said they would send me a few boards to test with, but they seem to have got lost in the post :-(

Re:Libraries

I dont think anyone has tested them yet, but the Core comes with the standard libs like Wire and SPI.
But no USB support at all.
I'm currently working on adding USB serial, but to get all the USB devices working well, actually requires quite a major overhaul of the STMCubeMx generated code, as we need a Composite USB device and I dont think the Cube has an option to generate example code like that.

I am sure we could get individual USB devices, like MIDI and HID working one at a time, but this is far from ideal

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:09 pm

I am working with L4 series but for now I didn't test much of the ST core, some basic I/O, simple serial and some I2C devices.
The L476 is an exceptional MCU (my favorite STM32 MCU) and you can test also the core of GrumpyOldPizza from http://www.stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1092
It is for a custom L476 board (dragonfly), it is very well written, on top of CMSIS (optimized), with complete core functions (and more than that), definitely a very good piece of code.

More for DragonFly (photos, schematics, pcb) here: https://www.tindie.com/products/onehors ... ent-board/

Ollie

Post by Ollie » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Slammer,

What are the features and functionality in Dragonfly STM32L4 that you like in comparison to Teensy 3.2/3.5/3.6? They are in same price range, but Teensy has more I/O, higher performance, and excellent S/W libraries.

Cheers, Ollie

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:54 am

Ollie wrote:
What are the features and functionality in Dragonfly STM32L4 that you like in comparison to Teensy 3.2/3.5/3.6? They are in same price range, but Teensy has more I/O, higher performance, and excellent S/W libraries.

Cheers, Ollie
Teensy will always win on libraries, but I suspect the L4 will win on price, if you buy a mass market L4 board.

STM's own L4 demo boards are excellent value. Nucleo L4 are around $10 USD on Mouser

(This price is AUD but div 2/3 is roughly the USD price
http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMi ... Kx3w%3d%3d