Branching from STM's core

The official STMicroelectronics Arduino core
RogerClark

Branching from STM's core

Post by RogerClark » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:34 pm

The more we look at the STM code, the more it looks like some fairly radical changes are going to be needed to support non Nucleo boards (even to support STM's on Discovery boards etc)

Which means there is a high chance we will accidentally break the Nucleo version.

So I think there will need to be a version which is the original unmodified STM core, which Wi6Labs can bug fix if requested to do so by STM, and a different , highly modified version that we are free to radically change.

It looks like STM have their own github repo https://github.com/STMicroelectronics but its unused.

So perhaps Frederic or Laurent etc, can get access to it and upload the source files that Frederic has put in his personal github account, and also upload the boards manager files.

In that way, if anyone has issues with the original Nucleo core not working, they can be referred to the original (and probably non-supported) version, leaving us free to not worry about the implications of our changes to the official release

RogerClark

Re: Branching from STM's core

Post by RogerClark » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:19 pm

I emailed Laurent and Frederic about this, but they have not got back to me yet.

Incidentally, I found that STM have their own official github account, but is effectively empty apart from github.io placeholder pages.
Although it has no public members it was easy to track down the person in STM who configured the github.io pages, so I have asked Laurent to contact her, in case they decide to have a Official unmaintained Core on the STM account, which would leave us free to do what we want with the community branch of the core.